• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Getting Pokemon and 3DS later this year, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLynch

I'm getting a 3DS later this year with a Pokemon game. I could quite happily wait until November. However should I get Pokemon Ultra Sun and skip Pokemon Sun? Or should I get Pokemon Sun first so it's not spoiled by playing Ultra Sun before it?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm actually skipping Ultra Sun & Moon and waiting for the Switch Pokémon game.

However, in your case, it all depends on what USM will entail. If it is a follow up to Sun & Moon, then you should get Sun & Moon first. If it's a traditional update version, then skip Sun & Moon and just wait 'til November.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think it depends if the Ultra games are sequels or two third version games with difference between the two. If it's sequels then play Dun and Moon first.

.Aerodactyl.

If you only have enough money for one game, I agree to wait for Ultra Sun. Even if it's a sequel, it's going to the the most up-to-date with all moves, forms, areas, etc. You can always get the story from Sun and Moon from watching a let's play :).

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'm getting a 3DS later this year with a Pokemon game. I could quite happily wait until November. However should I get Pokemon Ultra Sun and skip Pokemon Sun? Or should I get Pokemon Sun first so it's not spoiled by playing Ultra Sun before it?
If you intend to only get one, I would suggest making a decision after we get more information. It is likely that Ultra will be the better game whether it is the same as Sun with some extras or a sequel to Sun.

I'm actually skipping Ultra Sun & Moon and waiting for the Switch Pokémon game.
That is a long time to wait for a new pokemon game! What will you do until then?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
That is a long time to wait for a new pokemon game! What will you do until then?

As impatient as I am as a person, I can wait. I intended to get a Switch beforehand, anyway, and get ARMS, Breath of the Wild, and couple more games. I'll be good until then.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Skip them both, 8th gen is probably going to be a lot better since it's going to be on much more powerful hardware and in a console environment.

BCVM22

Play Sun or Moon first. Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon in October. Or do research into both (once we have more information on the latter) and choose differently. It's your time and money - it should be your decision, more so than that of random people on the Internet.

The only caveat: don't listen to anyone telling you to skip the generation. You'd be missing out. Definitely play one or the other.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
The only caveat: don't listen to anyone telling you to skip the generation. You'd be missing out. Definitely play one or the other.

Agreed. Not to mention that Sun and Moon are completely worthy games to purchase if you can afford.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

As some have mentioned, I suggest waiting a little bit more until we have a definite idea what USUM are.
If these games are just plain third version, then I'd say wait this game instead. But if these are sequels, then it is highly recommended that you play SM.

I also don't recommend skipping Gen 7, or any generation. We don't even have any idea what Gen 8 is and when it will be out.
It's like someone is recommending you a book that the person haven't even read yet.

JohnLynch

Thanks everyone. I am by no means limited to only one game. Although if they're the same story/game (or effectively the same with only very minor tweaks/moves) I'd be inclined to only get one or the other. But I will wait until we have much more information first.

It's like someone is recommending you a book that the person haven't even read yet.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how much info we had on Ultra Sun and Moon yet. Turns out the answer is not very much.

JLK2707

I'm just going to get Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for my birthday this year. I hope they will be exciting.

JohnLynch

Any further thoughts on this now that we have more information?

Ambrose7

Any further thoughts on this now that we have more information?

Yeah get Sun/Moon and USUM. While technically USUM are updated versions, it seems the story is quite different with many new characters and i feel the original Sun and Moon games had a good story and should be experienced. That is my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.