1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Iris

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by GetInTheBagNebby_, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetInTheBagNebby_

GetInTheBagNebby_ New Member

The other post about her was like locked or something... ironically when her race was brought up but anyway I've never really seen the best wishes series. What was all the backlash about her character about again? Meaning why was she the most hated poke girl in existence?

2. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- L.A. Clippers > L.A. Lakers

Because Iris is a Misty wannabe who was constantly always using the little kid gag on Ash,a big hypocrite because one point in time when she first met Trip at the she called him a little kid for talking big but when she met him again she turned down Trip's offer in a battle by making an excuse by saying her pokemon aren't in top form,then there's her dream to become a dragon master but rarely trained her pokemon,always kept one of her pokemon in her hair,and never earned the Dragonite she owns now.

3. Janovy

Janovy Banned

She had an attitude.

She was a decently written female companion, but she had a catchphrase 'what a little kid' which she would often call Ash (it was legit teasing between friends, but for some reason people can't even imagine the possibility that friends can tease each other), which annoyed people to an abnormal degree. She annoyed people so much (for some reason) that people still like to call her a bad character or something despite any legitimate arguments to support that opinion. Sometimes they also like to pretend like Iris hated Ash and wanted him dead all along so their arguments can feel legitimate.

It's sad, if you think about it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. I'm one of the rare people who has a legitimately objective view of Iris' good and bad elements. Most people here will only focus on the negatives (some of which are completely made up lmao), so I can provide you with a realistic perspective on Iris' character.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  4. PokemonBattleFanatic-

If anything Georgia should have been used to fuel Iris to become more focused on being a dragon master,instead Georgia's Beartic was squashed at the Junior Cup against Iris's Dragonite,the rivalry went no where after that and it went all to waste.

5. Daniel31

Daniel31 HopingGaryReturns

The other part is, the transition from DP to BW. People felt like Ash was progressing as Trainer for the most part, BW was a "reset" of Ash (which people hated), and then you have that combined with Iris' catchphrase...and it can be viewed as pretty annoying or a slap in the face in a sense. So, some fans took it out on her and the rest of series. I don't think that's the main reason, but it is part of it.

Personally, I thought Iris was alright, she had some good qualities actually. :)

6. Janovy

Janovy Banned

This. ALL OF THIS.

This is so true. I believe the frustration over Ash's reset combined with Iris's catchphrase led people to hate her as much as they do now.

7. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

Her race has absolutely nothing to do with her character, personality, or views on how people see her as. She isn't a "loud mouthed black girl" that someone has said before. She's not all that different from May or Dawn when they're being snarky. She was bold, not afraid of calling people out, and like I said before with her catchphrase, her character was intentionally meant to be hypocritical as a joke like how she calls Ash a kid when she herself is one and doesn't act no better than Ash himself. Quit it with the race baiting. She wasn't a stereotype nor does her unconfirmed race has anything to do with this.

For one, not many people in the West know who she is if they never watched the series and two, she's more of a mixed bag. Her hate is mostly from Western fans where her portrayal came off as pretentious Dragon girl who think she's better than him. People are just petty & immature in hating her based on her catchphrase and these people are the same people who don't care/like Ash to begin with. Especially BW Ash who people claim to be stupid and weak so Iris in the beginning had a good enough reason to call him a kid since he couldn't catch a Pokémon properly as a first impression. But that doesn't mean she disrespects him seeing that in one of the early episodes, she saved him and the Pokémon from a hot geyser/being cooked alive. Not once has she disrespected him and if they both hated each other so much, they wouldn't be travelling in the first place (and an episode of them going their separate ways has happened before.)

Another complaint I hear is Iris getting handed a Dragonite but most users here have said it would've been better for her to get a Dratini or a Dragonair but this isn't enough to hate someone's entire character. And she is in no way a "wannabe Misty". Saying that her dream of being a Dragon Master is comparable to Misty's dream of being the best Water type Trainer is laughable. You might as well call Dawn a "wannabe May" I mean they're both nice girls who are Pokémon Contestants as well with the same dream and went through depression and the like. They're way similar in comparison to Iris and Misty. Misty is in no way entitled to being the only one to argue with Ash, call him out on things, or tease him (something all girls but Serena have done.) Sure they both have a baby Pokémon but Kibago have done things of significance other than the endless getting lost episodes. The little guy is way more developed than Togepi will ever be and actually has a character and developed different relationships with Pokémon, and Iris has been tasked since his birth to raise him into a strong Haxorus.

8. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Color has nothing to do with it. Brock is my favorite male companion, and I think Kiawe is a cool character.... while I utterly despise Iris, and the other two characters I hate(Bonnie/Alain) are both white... like me.
    She's just a poorly written character and hypocritical at that. "You're such a kid" she says as she's doing something only a 'kid' would do. Not to mention how disastrous her goal was handled. Wants to be a Dragon Master, only had two Dragons..... and only one was native to the region. She didn't even prove her self like Misty did with the Whirl Cup, battling and beating other Water types in battle in a tournament. She didn't even earn the fully evolved Dragon she got, she didn't evolve a Dragon to get to that point like Ash did. Ash is more of a Dragon master than she is. At least his Dragons have likeable personalities.
    She is the reason I NEVER want to see another Type Master on the cast.
    I actually like Iris in the games, but Anime Iris is terrible.

9. Janovy

Janovy Banned

It's cute how you actually think this is true. Lmao.

Ash doesn't have the half of Iris's knowledge about dragons nor would he be able to calm a rampaging Hydreigon like Iris did. So yeah....nope lol.

10. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

Iris is my least favorite but I don't hate her. The writers didn't let her progress very much in her goal of Dragon Master. Her Axew didn't even evolve despite clearly wanting to, unlike Piplup. They could have given Axew a last episode evolution or something at least. And she should have gotten a Deino as well. Perhaps she could have caught a Deino which would evolve quickly (despite the games) and force Axew to try and catch up.

11. GetInTheBagNebby_

GetInTheBagNebby_ New Member

Okay so since it's been made clear this isn't a race issue on to my next question why does she get heat for "bullying" and "belittling" Ash but characters like Misty and Paul are praised heavily for "keeping Ash in check" and "being the best rival ever written". I'd also like to note to the post earlier that Brock isn't black just tanned skinned but I understand the rest of your points.

12. Janovy

Janovy Banned

People say her goal was poorly handled, which is absolutely untrue. She turned Kibago into a decent battler and managed to get a disobedient Dragonite (which she absolutely deserved to get, because in that very episode she went out of her to protect Dragonite from everyone) to trust her. She also succeeded in helping calm down rampaging Dragon types due to her knowledge of the Dragon type.

13. TheWanderingMist

Misty I can explain as both nostalgia and the fact that Ash was an overconfident rookie at the beginning and needed someone to keep him in check. Actually, they both were rookies with tempers, so that's why Brock was there. Iris had the unfortunate timing of showing up right after the writers decided that Ash needed a skill level reset. Combined with the fact that Ash had just gotten to the final four in the Sinnoh League and that there was a clearly established Champion's League above that during DP meaning winning wouldn't necessarily mean for Ash to stop traveling, it makes for a lot of hate directed at her for no real reason..

There is no excuse for why people give Paul a pass given his treatment of Chimchar. There is no denying that Paul's training methods traumatized Chimchar and that Paul refused to admit that his methods weren't working for Chimchar. In my opinion, Paul is the worst of the rivals. People only hate Alain because of the League really. Same with Cameron. Ritchie, Harrison, and Tyson were all introduced too late to be considered true rivals so they get slightly less flak.

14. HoundoomFan

HoundoomFan shy shipper

From what people say, most of it was her 'you're such a kid!' Catchphrase as it makes her a hypocrite (as she says and does a lot of childish things) or 'she's a b***h to ash!' (I don't get that one at all, really. That is completely untrue & a lot of Iris haters are Misty fans aka the pokegirl who was the harshest to ash & just calling him a kid wasn't really considered 'being a b***h' imo).

I like her, but there are some things that do annoy me about her/how she was written. First off, I find her ice-type fear stupid. Misty had a bug fear (more like phobia) cuz a lot of people irl are scared/don't like of bugs. And as to why she's afraid of them is even worst. She wants to be a dragon master, so why the f would she not try to tackle the weaknesses of dragon Pokemon head on? Plus like what was stated in the anime, dragon types are weak against dragon type moves, so in that sense she is support to be scared of dragon types as well.

And I also don't like how she got dragonite. Not cuz she 'didn't deserve it' necessarily, but I feel like it was just given to her to make her suddenly a great Pokemon trainer with little work on her part. I would have been fine if she got it as a dragonair and it later evolved after really battling with it. But nope, and worst off it was like the only Pokemon she really used after she got it (though luckily she only got it around the end of the isshu series).

Lastly I disliked how she made axew togepi 2.0 and never tried to train/battle with it. Throughout the series, she mostly used extadrill & emolga when she battled, & axew's main purpose was to get into danger & act cute. It was her first Pokemon we saw her with & she was aware that axew's goal was to be fully evolved, so I don't know why she didn't even try to put more in battles.

So yea it was more writting problems that I have issues with her. But I do find her to be an interesting & unique character regardless.

15. I had to make an account to just to say this
    I really wish people would understand what "race baiting" truly is before just throwing the word around and shying away from any "race argument" instead of seeing both sides and discussing it. Anyway it's hardly weird to question if Iris' hate is revolved around her race but anyway the main two main arguments against he character is bad "goal progression" and "bullying Ash". I'm gonna address both

Iris' goal progression was a tad shaky but to say it's inferior to Misty's is ridiculous. As part of her training she has challenged 3 dragon experts Cynthia Drayden and Clair while failing to beat any of them she still has learned from each battle. Not to mention the capture of Gible and Dragonite proves she has "the heart of a dragon" and was able to communicate with them both. Speaking of Dragonite.. does anymore remembering her having to ACTUALLY bond with with him to battle sufficiently? It's wasn't just a "capture and obey my ever command and win me battles" situation.

Now on to the "bullying". Iris had every right to call out Ash's immaturity and it baffles how it insults the fans more than it did Ash himself and it's especially hypocritical to hate over that considering the FANS were even complaining about him acting like a little kid.

But back to the race issue.. I don't think anyone claimed she was a "loud mouth black girl" I think OP was just saying that's how she was perceived in people's heads. And it's not like America has the best track record with racism...so to completely rule out her race being an issue is kinda closed minded especially from going by her design hair and skin colour Iris is not meant to be portrayed as white. It was simply just pointed that out that Misty and Paul to an extent share some similarities in the way they treat Ash (except 10000x worse sorry fans of Misty and Paul) yet there is never compliments coming at them

16. PokemonBattleFanatic-

Because he's a bad*ss,carries himself like a man,and knows what he is doing.

He was a breath of fresh air and completely different from all the other characters in the show who often came off as goody two shoes and always doing the right thing.

Paul was a reminder that not everyone shares this same philosophy and they do their own thing.He also pushed Ash to become a better trainer throughout DP and gave us some of the best battles in the entire series(Lake Acuity)(Sinnoh League).

Last thing,the guy sent Team Rocket blasting off all by himself in the Top Down Training episode.

17. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

I didn't really mind the ice type fear thing, but otherwise I agree with this more or less. These are just writing flaws though and shouldn't really have any impact on how likable she is. I feel she's one of the better characters of the show actually.

18. Spyro39

Spyro39 Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier in this thread, fans were already frustrated at Ash's sudden reset into an amateur trainer, especially when he was already an experienced trainer and ranked at Top 4 in the Sinnoh League. Most of the dumb things he did in BW were already infuriating enough to the fans, but Iris calling Ash a kid and criticising him for his actions was just a constant reminder of the way Ash was acting, basically "rubbing salt to the wound". That's why she gets so much scorn and hate from the fans.

Misty gets a pass from fans for two reasons. #1: nostagia. Since most of us fans were kids back in the 90's, we didn't really think that much about her belittling behavior towards Ash. #2: Ash started off as a overconfident rookie trainer, so it made sense that he would pull off amateur moves in the Kanto saga.

Paul is popular because he's a rival. If Gary Oak and Blue taught us anything, it's that rivals in Pokemon are meant to be aggressive, arrogant, and viewing themselves as superior to their rival. If Iris was a rival to Ash instead of a friend, maybe she would've had a more positive reception from fans.

One more thing to say. If BW started over with a new protagonist than keeping Ash around, Iris and the BW series in general would've been better received by fans.

I didn't care for much of Ash getting reset nor Iris's attitude towards him, but I can see why the majority of the fandom do. I just wish they'd give her a chance with looking at her as a character rather than her attitude.

19. But it's clear that Ash and Pikachu "reset" every time he goes to a new region...and the same with Pikachu. They made so far at the top in Sinnoh there was only way to go...down. Not to mention he's 10 years old how mature do you except him to be? Iris didn't travel with Ash Kanto-Sinnoh so how was she suppose to know how experienced he was? She was just judging by his action in Best Wishes and considering that was meant to be a reboot I don't get why fans were so shocked when Ash did as well. So the argument that Iris reminding viewers that Ash was acting immature is a good reason for hate is kinda immature IMO

20. TheWanderingMist

But with BW the reset was very blatant because of the battle with Trip and his new Snivy. And don't misuse the word "reboot". A "reboot" would be like "Teen Titans Go!" to "Teen Titans" or the Hunter X Hunter 2011 anime to the Hunter X Hunter 1999 anime. BW was a continuation just like every other season, considering they even decided to bring Charizard back for a bit eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.