• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Post Length Problem

Zincspider

My Bloody
I have somthing to qoute myself on:
Which brings up another trend I have been noticing that we as RPers need to adress.
Our posts have become increasingly large and detailed.
While that might seem like a good thing, we need to look at what it does:
1: It makes people lose intrest in your entry. After a couple paragraphs, someone will get bored with ceaseless explinations and useless descriptions. I don't want to devolve into purple prose.

2: It's intimidating. Some of the less skilled RPers who make up a majority of our ranks will see a longer post, and try to reach for that right away... and be turned off by the amount of effort. OR... just never post by putting it off.

3: It's tiresome. We have gotten to the point where we have forgotten that we ARE able to post only 2 paragraphs. If you think you can move the story in a single action in a just a small entry, go for it. We are almost always writing somthing a page or two long in Word.

That's just me, but I think we need to adress it befrore trying to start up an RPG as a group. Maybe we should look into it? *holds a bat intimidatingly*
I'm not saying description is bad... it's just an over flow is useless and dangerous to continuing an RP.

I think that we can still make quality posts without being overly descriptive. We need to make sure we can keep people's intrests longer.
Let's take the first 'Scourge of the Skies'
It had hundereds of posts before it died. Now we have SotS 2... wich is in it's thrid page now, and only like 3 people are posting (which reminds me, I need to go post). And I can look at it and see people are really trying to make their posts as long as possible... yes, I'm aware I'm guilty of this too.

Any thoughts?

The Black Glove

The Resident BAMF
Well it's not just trying to make a post longer. Yes, some posts are forcibly stretched to the point that they lose content, but other posts have enough that needs to be said and done that it really DOES need that much space.

Think of it like a piece of bubble gum. The main problem is when there isn't a lot that needs to be said, and the events are "stretched" to the point where it becomes paper-thin, and thus, uninteresting and easy to poke your finger through. However, more content stretched to the same length is very solid, and holds up to the prodding.

What I think the problem is, is that by teaching ourselves to always make at least 2 paragraphs, we taught ourselves as advanced RPGers to go over the minimum as often as possible. Now, this isn't a problem until we started forcing 2-paragraph minimum posts to 4 paragraph, even 6-paragraph posts.