• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Potential Differences Thread

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl being advertised as a faithful remake, it begs the question on what the actual differences are.

We will very likely have the standard battling changes from previous games, given the Fairy type, new moves, etc.

There is also the question on how much Platinum content this game will see. Could we get a Platinum extension like the Delta episode in OR/AS?

Also, the Pal Park worked with a GBA slotted into a DS or DS Lite system. What will happen there?
Speaking of transfer, what will we do regarding Regigigas?

These are just some of the questions you could ask, so what do you want to know, or think will be different?

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Dialga & Palkia would probably be getting new forms, probably a "Origin Forme" like Giratina's.
On the other hand, Giratina would probably receive something new/extra as well during the possible Platinum Episode (like ORAS Delta Episode).

We will very likely have the standard battling changes from previous games, given the Fairy type, new moves, etc.
If they go with the DP Pokedex, then only Mr. Mime, Azumarill & Clefable line would be available as Fairy options.
While if they use the Pt Pokedex, then Gardevoir & Togekiss line would be added in.
So, Fairy type options would be quite limited in BDSP, and majorly revolve around Gardevoir, Togekiss & Azumarill only.
Also, the Pal Park worked with a GBA slotted into a DS or DS Lite system. What will happen there?
Probably a connection to Pokemon Home or Pokemon Go instead.
There is also the question on how much Platinum content this game will see. Could we get a Platinum extension like the Delta episode in OR/AS?.
We would probably get an extension to cover the Platinum content (aka., a plot around Giratina & Distortion World), or else the Remake would feel useless and empty without new content.

Last edited:

OwensJB

I'm not holding my breath but I hope that some Pokemon like Spiritomb are easier to encounter. I hated that it was a one-per-game Pokemon and that it required the use of the Sinnoh Underground.

DarkRyeBread

I really hope new formes as a potential difference. I'd be super interested to see a take on formes for Pokemon that couldn't have existed in their current incarnations due to lore relating to things like modern technology e.g Rotom, Lampent...

Sabre_King

One difference I hope they take away from Platinum is bringing back the Battle Frontier. I know DP had the fight area and everything but I hope Gamefreak implores to ILCA to use the Battle Frontier since so many fans wanted to see that back in ORAS and only got teased about it. It would be nice just to have something to do post game with a challenge other then a battle tower.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Aside from updated battle mechanics & possibly the Platinum pokédex, I don’t think they’re going to change anything since they’re reinforcing the whole “faithful remake” aspect

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I have a theory that some NPCs from past games will make appearances with Lenora being in the Underground where she gives you a Unova Fossil that is version exclusive, Wallace and Lissa are post game Contest participants, Prof Sycamore who is a good friend of Fantina, Blue in the Battle Tower, Clay in the Oreburgh Mine, and Samson Oak who unlocks the regional form Dex feature.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I'm hoping that the majority of the Gen 4 evolutions for older Pokemon arent locked behind the post-game. I remember in original DP wanting to use Pokemon like Gallade but couldn't obtain a Ralts till after the Elite 4. I want to catch the Pokemon along my journey so they can participate in gym and important story battles.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't know what to expect with regards to the Zukan (Pokedex), but I hope that Seals are removed since I found them to be a completely pointless novelty. Or if that's not possible, I at least hope that we'll be able to store Pokemon in the PC with Ball Capsules attached instead of having to manually remove them.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I’d hope for an expanded Pt Dex And Battle Frontier. ORAS mentions the Battle Frontier as an Easter egg (in the Lilycove Museum) as being located in Sinnoh.

Missingno.Fan

I’m hoping they will use the expanded Dex from Platinum (or at least something similar). The original Dex was too limited and I had an issue with when DP was released.

I think it very much remains to be seen what they mean by "faithful". From what we can see from the trailers, the maps and story look to follow this concept, but other than that we simply know nothing. It could very well be that Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl will be just as faithful as FireRed/LeafGreen/Hearthgold/SoulSilver/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee having some strong deviations from a faithful remake).
In which case, there still is plenty of room for enhancements to the original game:
- All the abovementioned remakes allowed you to trade pokemon over from the later generations. Of course GameFreak announced that from Sword and Shield onwards, they would start excluding pokemnon from games. But the sheer uproar this created amongst the community might have made them reevaluate this decision.
- Another controversial decision was removing mega evolutions. They might make them return as the end game content.
- I wonder how they are going to incorporate the Pokétch: as we do not have the dual screen anymore, this is bound to be somewhat different: this may also affect the DexNav hunting for shinies.
- It would not surprise me if the remakes dealt with Giratina in a similar manner as ORAS did with Rayquaza.

All of this is just speculation on my part. The trailers simply did not give enough information to get a good overview what the games will be like.

NeoDude-5000

I'm hoping that with the Sinnoh Dex they use the Platinum version, because its better of course. But maybe perhaps in addition to some new Pokemon (from the first 4 gens of course) and add the new evolutions like Sylveon and (I know this is not going to make sense but Galar did it anyway) the regional variant evolutions like Mr. Rime. Also a Battle Zone PokeDex would be cool. Gives the game an excuse include post-gen 4 Pokemon.

And I know people want Mega Evolutions, myself included, but I wouldn't mind them being post-game content and not during the main story.

Captainrex717

Catcher of 'Mons
Given that it seems that we will be getting some Platinum content, as shown by the Platinum-exclusive Floroma NPC and the presence of Porygon-Z in the trailers, I'm wondering how much other Platinum content we'll get.

While I haven't played Diamond or Pearl all the way through given that I had Platinum first and preferred it outright, I understand that there were many semi-significant changes to the story and environment. I've heard that there were a few extra Galactic interactions, the gyms were in a different order, some new NPCS and side-quests were added, and etc. Also, the environment was changed for the better in Platinum, with areas like Stark Mountain being the most evident in this regard. I hope they will include the Platinum versions of these.

One thing I'm also curious about is how they'll handle the climax/postgame. Depending on how faithful the remakes are, they could do a delta episode-esque postgame based on Platinum content, which, along with the Neo-Galactic Heatran postgame added in Platinum could make for a MASSIVE postgame load. Alternatively, imagine a climax at spear pillar like in the sinnoh version of the adventures manga: Cyrus summons Dialga/Palkia, (depending on the version) and like in Platinum, Giratina shows up and interferes. Like in the manga, Giratina could capture both the respective box legend and Cyrus and take them to the distortion world, and you would go in with Cynthia like in Platinum, but this time, for example, you would have to defeat Cyrus and then Battle Giratina to defeat Dialga/Palkia or something of the sort. I'm not sure exactly how this would play out, but basically you would have to fight either of Cyrus or Giratina in order to get your chance to battle/catch the box legendary. That would be a very interesting twist on the spear pillar mission. Assuming any of this gets changed, how/when will you fight Giratina? Climax? Postgame distortion world mission? Altered form in turnback cave like in the original D/P?

It will be interesting to see, as well, how they handle any of the events. If it's faithful, will we go get to do the missions of battling shaymin and darkrai at their respective locations? Will we get a mission where if you collect all the plates and get the azure flute, then you can ascend to the hall of origin and fight arceus? Or, will all of these events get scrapped in favor of the new style of "Wifi distributions." Also, will they release any DLC like they did with sword and shield? Maybe they'll add the battle frontier and all its related content as an expansion. lol.

Overall, I'm definitely excited for these. I haven't touched Pokemon since I played moon, and I don't even care if they remove megas, Z moves, maxing, or etc because I've always found that stuff to be goofy. Platinum was my first, and is my favorite game, and I'm happy that the gen 4 remakes are on the way. If this game is what it appears to be: A faithful D/P remake with lots of Platinum content/features, and a different graphic style than the uncanny-valley-esque, tall, weird-moving, and etc characters from X/Y-onward, then there's not much more I would even ask for from this game. A modern Platinum that has all the newest quality-of-life changes. Sounds pretty good to me! Haha

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm not holding my breath but I hope that some Pokemon like Spiritomb are easier to encounter. I hated that it was a one-per-game Pokemon and that it required the use of the Sinnoh Underground.
You can get more Odd Keystones from the underground digging game.

Bus

I'll sacrifice my hope for a couple of 'Sinnohian Forms', a better Safari Zone, the extra 'Distortion World' stuff that Platinum had, and different forms for the Box Legends for just one single hope: A 'Delta Episode' like addition to these games that cover Darkrai & Arceus.