• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Potential Differences Thread

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Pal Park could always become a place where Galar Pokémon appear in a Wild Area themed location. Or be something heavily associated with Home where you get rewards for using the app.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Pal Park could always become a place where Galar Pokémon appear in a Wild Area themed location. Or be something heavily associated with Home where you get rewards for using the app.
Or they could pull an ORAS Battle Frontier by making Pal Park inaccessible and put a song by it that says it’s coming soon

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Or they could pull an ORAS Battle Frontier by making Pal Park inaccessible and put a song by it that says it’s coming soon
Except that's a dead end area of the map and there's no other reason to go there.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Some of these are just reality being different now than in Generation IV, but these are what I expect to see:

- The Veilstone Game Corner will no longer have the same minigames. I'm crossing my fingers for the return of Voltorb Flip, perhaps except more complex. I loved Voltorb Flip when I learned the rules and strategies behind it. I got more earnings out of Voltorb Flip than anything the Veilstone Game Corner would've given me.
- Some means of Dynamax and access to Max Raid Battles. There would need to be an in-story explanation as Dynamax is not native to any region but Galar; an easy out would be Team Galactic artificially invoking Dynamax via importing or synthesizing Galar Particles, including artificial Max Raid Dens.
- Though I don't expect it per se, maybe they'll explain what happens when you touch the statue that's guarded for 23 hours of the day.

One difference I hope they take away from Platinum is bringing back the Battle Frontier. I know DP had the fight area and everything but I hope Gamefreak implores to ILCA to use the Battle Frontier since so many fans wanted to see that back in ORAS and only got teased about it. It would be nice just to have something to do post game with a challenge other then a battle tower.

Pokémon Masters has been putting in Frontier Brains as of late, which means they recognize the demand; that means there's a nonzero chance for it. Unlike Generation III's Battle Frontier, Generation IV's has story significance too, namely that Palmer is Barry's father.

New additions to the Dex I’m predicting after the Platinum additions are Sylveon, Alolan Raichu, Darumaka line with the Galar forms being post game, Litwick line, Inkay line, all of the Kalos Starters given to you by Prof Sycamore, the Unova Fossils given to you in the Underground by Lenora, Minccino line, Alolan Geodude line, and Durant and Heatmor as version exclusives.

I'd like to add in Minior due to Mt. Coronet's altitude around Spear Pillar. (Though I may be kind of partial because Minior's both my favorite Rock-type Pokémon and my favorite Flying-type Pokémon.)

Spiritomb would also be a lot easier to catch if the Underground was online. That was the main issue with Spiritomb, finding an Odd Keystone wasn't as bad as finding 32 people to talk to Underground through local wireless only. They really need to do something to Spiritomb to make it more accessible if they're not going to make the Underground online, because there's no way anyone outside of Japan (or anyone period if we're still under quarantine when the game releases) is going to be able to find 32 other players locally.

I suspect that will be changed to X number of people online. Not only am I certain they know of the complaints about finding people locally, but they tried an online variant in Crown Tundra, which seemed to please people (or at least not annoy people nearly as much as the original method).

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Voltorb Flip was essentially a modified version of Minesweeper, wasn't it? Honestly even disregarding the moral argument about whether or not simulated slot machines are okay in what is ostensibly a kid's game, I'd prefer something like Minesweeper that's actually logic-based and not completely random.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I didn’t like Voltorb Flip that much but that’s mostly because I was never a Minesweeper fan to begin with. I just feel annoyed playing it after awhile especially if I have just reached the next level. The thing I hated most was when it would randomly drop you two levels I think after only one game just because you made a mistake. I think amusement park themed mini games could work in place of the slot machines. You could even utilize the motion controls in the Joy Cons for throwing darts at some balloons, throwing a ball to knock over some Moo Moo Milk bottles, and even a fishing pond with fake Magikarp, Feebas, And Goldeen where you get tickets depending on which Pokémon you fish out.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I didn’t like Voltorb Flip that much but that’s mostly because I was never a Minesweeper fan to begin with. I just feel annoyed playing it after awhile especially if I have just reached the next level. The thing I hated most was when it would randomly drop you two levels I think after only one game just because you made a mistake. I think amusement park themed mini games could work in place of the slot machines. You could even utilize the motion controls in the Joy Cons for throwing darts at some balloons, throwing a ball to knock over some Moo Moo Milk bottles, and even a fishing pond with fake Magikarp, Feebas, And Goldeen where you get tickets depending on which Pokémon you fish out.
These would be pretty cool alternatives as well. Really anything that isn't just pure luck would be good in my book.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

It did bother me at first, but it stopped bothering me once I made few enough mistakes that I would typically stay at the higher ranks. (It was actually due to Voltorb Flip that I got into Picross later on.) I would sometimes just keep playing Voltorb Flip for hours, far beyond whatever rewards I needed.

Would be best to have multiple things than Voltorb Flip though, as I know that it wasn't everybody's cup of tea, and the rules and strategies for it are on the obtuse side, even for Pokémon.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Voltorb Flip was actually pretty easy to gain a lot of coins from, at least from my standpoint.

Anyway, with the new evolution methods for older Pokemon. I wonder if we'll just get Leaf Stones from the Moss Rock for example.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm hoping that Amity Square will allow you to walk with any pokemon rather than just limiting it to just a few cute ones (and the starters if they include Platinum content). Even if it's in the chibi overworld style, I can see a lot of people getting upset if you can't have any pokemon walk with you after Let's Go and the DLC just brought that feature back

Also, the one feature I'm worried about with BDSP is that the Exp Share will be baked into the battle system like it was for SWSH since that'll take away a lot of the difficulty that Sinnoh's known for. At the very least I'm hoping they'll give us the choice to turn it off in the options page like we could for auto-saving

EDIT:
Another big thing I'm hoping for is that they'll make minor updates to Team Galactic's plan. It seemed ok in both DP & Platinum for the most part, but looking at it hindsight I think the anime did a better job than the games at making things more cohesive since Team Galactic constantly posed as a serious threat, appeared more frequently, and every action they did (no matter how great or small) connected to their ultimate goal. Plus, there were some elements to Team Galactic's plot in the original games that didn't make sense such as why they held several pokemon and the bike shop owner hostage in the Eterna building.

I don't expect them to make drastic changes, but it would be nice if they made a few minor tweaks in the remakes so that everything has a proper pay off for their big climax at Spear Pillar. For example, similar to the anime, the scene in Veilstone City where they steal Lucas/Dawn's pokedex could be a diversion to keep the player busy while they steal several of the meteorites to make the red chain. Another example would be to mention what exactly they use the energy they stole from the Valley Windworks for such as the bombs they used to blow up Lake Valor.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Also, the one feature I'm worried about with BDSP is that the Exp Share will be baked into the battle system like it was for SWSH since that'll take away a lot of the difficulty that Sinnoh's known for. At the very least I'm hoping they'll give us the choice to turn it off in the options page like we could for auto-saving
For that one, I have a pretty good feeling that they won't make it mandatory. They know the backlash regarding that, and it'd be very easy to program it to turn on or off as needed, considering this is what many games prior did.

Of course, it does come down to who made the decision to have the Exp. Share always on, whether it's the people at Game Freak or the people at The Pokémon Company.

Vini310

Sinnoh isn't hard, it may have a few difficult opponents, but the entire region is not hard.
And it's perfectly possible to have automatic Exp. Share and still have a challenging game (Digimon Story, Yo-kai Watch, Inazuma Eleven).

Sia Doctor

As someone who genuinely loved DPPt, I really hope they do this game justice while providing some nice quality of life improvements. It seems like remakes always incorporate current generation gimmicks, so I guess I wouldn’t be mad per se if they included dynamaxing, but I’d so much prefer the return of mega evolution. This would also be perfect because in the mystery dungeon series, you come across primal Dialga in explorers of time and darkness. I’m hoping, like they did in ORAS, that we could see a return of primal legendaries once more.

That being said, I think the Sinnoh underground could serve as a wonderful way to integrate max raid dens and dynamax adventures pretty seamlessly. It’s already a wifi function that lets you interact with other folks, and the whole den concept would translate really easily. If they’re going the dynamax route, I hope they at least give it a shot that way.

Also, I’m really hoping we end up being able to access stuff like Darkrai and the kid in a nightmare plot line is still around. DPPt had such great quests related to their legendary Pokémon, and I’d love to see that faithfully adapted.

Orphalesion

I just thought on now: Where the Gym Leaders of Kanto, Johto and Hoenn all received new Outfits for the remakes, does anyone think that the Gym Leaders of Sinnoh will also get new outfits for the remakes?
Since the protagonists didn't get any new outfits and GF is all "this will be a faithful remake!", I personally doubt that the gym leaders will get redesigned outfits.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Since the protagonists didn't get any new outfits and GF is all "this will be a faithful remake!", I personally doubt that the gym leaders will get redesigned outfits.
I could see Candice getting slight changes such as her skirt being a little bit longer, maybe to her knees. It always looked too short and it’s uncomfortable to look at since she is a teenager and definitely a minor. I know it is a Japanese trope that girls wear extremely short skirts but outside of Japan, it just feels wrong looking at someone who isn’t an adult with such a short skirt. Make it a pleated school uniform skirt and the problem with Candice would be fixed to a satisfactory degree where not too much changes and she can still have her sweater tied around her waist.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Divine Retribution said:
Voltorb Flip was essentially a modified version of Minesweeper, wasn't it? Honestly even disregarding the moral argument about whether or not simulated slot machines are okay in what is ostensibly a kid's game, I'd prefer something like Minesweeper that's actually logic-based and not completely random.
I still question why Game Freak decided that a complicated game that was essentially a derivative form of Minesweeper was preferable over several alternatives for the international Game Corner. From what I remember, most young kids didn't warm up to the "Voltorb Flip" game precisely because it was logic-based and therefore not entirely fun for the younger crowd, especially for those who couldn't get the hang of it at first and who probably ceased playing it within just a few tries.

I expect that the Tobari (Veilstone) Game Corner will either be closed like the one in OR/AS, or have a completely different purpose in these remakes.

Ariki

I am anticipating that the content of these games will mostly be Diamond and Pearl with the following potential changes:

• An expanded Sinnoh regional dex to match Platinum's
• Pokémon Go compatibility
• Fairy typing
• All of the original Gen IV events can now be accessed without having to use mystery gift
•HMs are absent
•Mega evolution

Anything beyond this is a bonus. If none of the above are implemented I'm fine with that too.

neophenx

Pokemon Strategist
If the Underground works on ONLY local wireless like the originals, I'll be legitimately upset. The Underground NEEDS online connectivity to realize its full potential in today's era.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If the Underground works on ONLY local wireless like the originals, I'll be legitimately upset. The Underground NEEDS online connectivity to realize its full potential in today's era.
Honestly the Underground deserved to have been WiFi the first time around especially for getting all the stars on the Trainer’s Card and for the Requirement needed to active the Spiritomb inside the Hallowed Tower needing other players to happen.