• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
V.

intro

It's the end of the 5th Generation, and it's also my five year anniversary here.

first glance

37.png
637.png
3.png
134.png
494.png
288.png

in-depth

37.png

Vulpix @ Eviolite
Modest nature
Ability: Drought
252 SpA / 252 HP / 4 Def
- Hypnosis
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Will-o-wisp

Vulpix's main role is to set up Sun for the rest of the team. It's a really frail Pokemon so I've given it max HP, with Modest + 252 SpA EVs hopefully meaning it can deal some form of damage. Hypnosis to help with switch-ins or to give me some time to defeat the opponent. I've gone with Fire Blast > Flamethrower for the extra power, which I think Vulpix needs. Energy Ball to cover its Water-, Rock- and Ground-type weaknesses. Finally, Will-o-wisp is for team support and restricting physical sweepers.​

637.png

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Timid nature
Ability: Flame Body
252 HP / 144 Spe / 112 SpA
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz

I've opted for a more bulky Volcarona set here. Substitute allows me to get some Quiver Dances up, while I replenish my health thanks to my Leftovers. Fiery Dance is a great STAB move which can further boost my stats. Bug Buzz is a nice secondary STAB move which gets good coverage. I haven't invested too much in SpA because with Volcarona's great base SpA and some Quiver Dance boosts (as well as Sun for Fiery Dance) I felt it wasn't necessary.​

3.png

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Modest/Mild nature
Ability: Chlorophyll
252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 Spe | 180 SpA / 72 Atk / 188 HP / 68 Spe
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder / Earthquake

Venusaur is a monster under the sun thanks to Chlorophyll and Growth. In the sun, Growth gives Venusaur +2 Atk/+2 SpA and coupled with the speed boost thanks to Chlorophyll, Venusaur is immensely powerful. Sleep Powder can be used for team support or to help me set up, whereas Earthquake covers a lot of threats this team faces, most notably Heatran. Giga Drain as STAB, which, thank to its healing effect, means I can last on the field longer. Hidden Power [Fire] for coverage against other Grass-types and Steel-types. Life Orb recoil is healed off thanks to Giga Drain. If I choose to run EQ, I'll go with the Mild nature and the second EV spread listed.​

134.png

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold nature
Ability: Water Absorb
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Protect
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Ice Beam

Vaporeon is mainly on the team to play a supporting role, and it also has some handy resistances for the team. Its bulk means it can pass huge Wishes onto its teammates, especially Victini and Volcarona. Its EVs and nature are aimed to maximise its bulk. I've gone with Ice Beam as its only attacking move; I felt that a Water-type move would be too weak under the sun, especially without any investment, and didn't want to run Scald just for the Burn chance since I already have Fire-types that can inflict a burn through WoW. Ice Beam still allows me to hit Ground-types which are threatening to my Fire-type Pokemon, and also gives me something to use against Dragon-types.​

494.png

Victini @ Leftovers
Jolly nature
Ability: Victory Star
252 Spe / 160 Atk / 96 HP
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break
- U-turn

I'm generally not a fan of using legendaries but I felt I just had to give Victini a try. Victory Star boosts the accuracy of its moves by 10%, which means Bolt Strike will have a good accuracy of 93%, giving me a reliable move to use against Water-types. V-create is Victini's star move, of course. It's ridiculously powerful, especially under the Sun. Brick Break to hit Rock-types, and U-turn to switch out if need be. I've gone with Leftovers for the item rather than Choice Band/Life Orb/Muscle Band because I feel that the extra power is unnecessary for Victini.​

288.png

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Jolly nature
Ability: Vital Spirit
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Bulk Up
- Return
- Earthquake
- Slack Off / Shadow Claw / Substitute

Eviolite boosts Vigoroth's defences, and Jolly nature because I'm boosting its Attack through Bulk Up anyway. Return is a reliable and powerful STAB move, and is complemented nicely by Earthquake, which covers Rock- and Steel-types, who resist Return. The final move is a toss-up between Slack Off, Shadow Claw and Substitute. Slack Off is a handy way of healing, whereas Shadow Claw lets me hit Ghost-, Rock- and Steel-types who are immune to Earthquake, and I can then rely on Vaporeon for healing. Finally, Substitute can help add bulk to Vigoroth, as even with Eviolite its defences aren't too great. Substitute can also help Vigoroth in setting up Bulk Ups.​

final look

37.png
637.png
3.png
134.png
494.png
288.png

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to some rates! As always, changes will be in bold italics.

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Congrats mang!

Anyways, if this is SCRMT, Heatran ****s this Team upside down. Earthquake on Venusaur can aid this problem, probably over Sleep Powder. I'll give a full rate later.

KillerDraco

So what's the logic of Vulpix over Ninetales? Yeah, Eviolite makes it bulkier, but it's considerably slower (which admittedly can be useful for the first turn when set against a TTar or 'Toed such that your sun will stick), and even with max SpA it's not going to be hitting anywhere near as hard. But, if the first turn Weather-Inducer matchup is the reason for using Vulpix over its evolution, I guess it is what it is.

If this is Semi-Competitive, in addition to the Heatran problem Aura mentioned, Stealth Rock gives your team problems. Volcarona's bulk is entirely compromised by it, and it limits the number of times Victini can switch in. Your team has no way of preventing Rocks from going up, nor any spinners to get rid of them. Perhaps consider switching out Vigoroth for Donphan or something. To be honest I don't entirely see the point of Vigoroth, as he doesn't seem to have any special synergy with this team.

Kind of a short rate but I'm way tired after this week of work. So I'm gonna go sleep. Congrats on the five years.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Yaeh... I'm not good with this those kinda of teams. Although I agree with what Draco said, it's a themed team. It's hard to suggest replacements. I think it's perfectly fine the way it is, as long as you don't go on something like the competitive scene. And I don't want to f*ck the theme suggestion a D pokemon. Anyway, congratulations for your 5 years here! I'm on my way to complete 2 yeas here... Too bad.

congrats on the 5 years!

PC+1, Oscar? lol

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
congrats on the 5 years!

Thanks!

Congrats mang!

Thank you!

Anyways, if this is SCRMT, Heatran ****s this Team upside down. Earthquake on Venusaur can aid this problem, probably over Sleep Powder. I'll give a full rate later.

I wasn't planning on taking this online at all, but I'll slash in Earthquake anyway. Thanks for the suggestion :)

So what's the logic of Vulpix over Ninetales? Yeah, Eviolite makes it bulkier, but it's considerably slower (which admittedly can be useful for the first turn when set against a TTar or 'Toed such that your sun will stick), and even with max SpA it's not going to be hitting anywhere near as hard. But, if the first turn Weather-Inducer matchup is the reason for using Vulpix over its evolution, I guess it is what it is.

If this is Semi-Competitive, in addition to the Heatran problem Aura mentioned, Stealth Rock gives your team problems. Volcarona's bulk is entirely compromised by it, and it limits the number of times Victini can switch in. Your team has no way of preventing Rocks from going up, nor any spinners to get rid of them. Perhaps consider switching out Vigoroth for Donphan or something. To be honest I don't entirely see the point of Vigoroth, as he doesn't seem to have any special synergy with this team.

Very valid points, thanks. I would use Ninetales and a spinner if I wasn't using a themed team with all my Pokemon starting with V :)

Kind of a short rate but I'm way tired after this week of work. So I'm gonna go sleep. Congrats on the five years.

Thanks a lot!

Yaeh... I'm not good with this those kinda of teams. Although I agree with what Draco said, it's a themed team. It's hard to suggest replacements. I think it's perfectly fine the way it is, as long as you don't go on something like the competitive scene. And I don't want to f*ck the theme suggestion a D pokemon. Anyway, congratulations for your 5 years here! I'm on my way to complete 2 yeas here... Too bad.

Hahaha I completely understand, themed teams are difficult to suggest other options for. Thank you! I feel old now.

KillerDraco

Very valid points, thanks. I would use Ninetales and a spinner if I wasn't using a themed team with all my Pokemon starting with V :)

I totally missed that. This is why Draco should not post when sleep deprived. Derp.

if you're going for earthquake on venusaur, a modest nature might not be the wisest

considering its fragility even with eviolite, vigoroth could use substitute, but idk jesus i'm rusty

congrats on five years.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
if you're going for earthquake on venusaur, a modest nature might not be the wisest

Oh yeah, good point. I've added in another EV spread as well.

considering its fragility even with eviolite, vigoroth could use substitute, but idk jesus i'm rusty

Hmmm, yeah I think with base 55 SpD, Sub could be useful. I'll slash it in as another option for its fourth move.

congrats on five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.