• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyhaunt

Cascade Trainer
Endless, I´m glad you like it. Some names are really hard to decipher, however, others are prety obvious. However, if you want to know the name of a Pokemon specifically you can ask me and me and I´ll tell you some tips. The funny an dynamic thing of this is that people start guessing about the names and then we can all fulfill the list with the etymology of the names.

And Eerie Fuwante, I´m glad you like this aswell. Just wait til I post the phylogenetic tree, hopefully you´ll find it more amazing

Endless, I´m glad you like it. Some names are really hard to decipher, however, others are prety obvious. However, if you want to know the name of a Pokemon specifically you can ask me and me and I´ll tell you some tips. The funny an dynamic thing of this is that people start guessing about the names and then we can all fulfill the list with the etymology of the names.

And Eerie Fuwante, I´m glad you like this aswell. Just wait til I post the phylogenetic tree, hopefully you´ll find it more amazing
I found a dictionary, so I can check most of them up myself, and as you said some of them is pretty obvious. Anyway, thanks.

RedMage23

The Red Mage
You win at life. Congratulations.

Just a few points of constructive criticism. Shouldn't the Nidorans be in the same genus? And shouldn't Tauros and Miltank also?

Last edited:

Andyhaunt

Cascade Trainer
RedMage, I´m open to all kind of criticism, I like people participating and discussing these things like you are.
As for your critique, here´s my reply...... As I said in the main post, same genera (genera is plural for genus) are applied for Pokemon in the same evolutionary line. Tauros and Miltank are not in the same evo-line, and the male-female counterpart relationship is a fanmade statement, and altough it has some sense, no official source has stated that Miltank is a female Tauros and viceversa. Also, if you breed Miltank, it can only produce Miltank offpring, and it is imposible for a Tauros to emerge from a Miltank egg, so until the moment, I think they should remain in different genera.

YOur point about the Nidorans, however, has greater validity. Again, those two are in different evo lines, although as their names suggests, they are male and female counterparts.... However, the problem of the evolutionary interconectivity appears again. There is no evolution link between those two lines, as the Nidoqueen line can not produce offpring of the Nidoking line. As there is no conectivity between both, I think those two should also remain in different genera..... As this is somewhat controversial, I suggest more people discuss this or vote to decide whether to fuse those two in a genus or to keep them just the way they are.

I have realized that this also leaves the question about Manaphy and Phione. I know that one does not evolve into the other, but I dunno if the breeding conection makes them an evolutionary line... what do you guys think??? Should I put them within the same genus??

Last edited:

Eerie Fuwante

Wasting my time
Wow, I really can't wait to see the phylogenetic tree. Are you going to separate them by types or use real-world phylums?

Although I'm not a huge fan of biology (I'm a History guy), the Animal Kingdom has always fascinated me. Applying that to Pokemon is even more fascinating.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
This is amazing. But I'm a little puzzled as to why they change species upon evolution. Evolution in Pokemon is more like metamorphosis, so shouldn't the evolutions of Pokemon essentially be juvenile, adolescent, and adult forms of the same species?

Andyhaunt

Cascade Trainer
This is amazing. But I'm a little puzzled as to why they change species upon evolution. Evolution in Pokemon is more like metamorphosis, so shouldn't the evolutions of Pokemon essentially be juvenile, adolescent, and adult forms of the same species?

Rayquaza Master, yes, I do agree with you, if Pokemon would exist in the real world, an entire evolution line would be a species, since pokemon evolution is, as you said, more like metamorphosis. In real life, the monarch caterpillar is Danaus plexippus, and the monarch butterfly is Danaus plexippus... same species. I mentioned something about this in the main post... literally this: "Pokemon in the same evolutionary family are in the same genus, keep that in mind (I know that in real life they should be threated as the same species, but this mechanism does not seem to apply to the pokemon worlds, so lets keep em this way)". When I say this does not seem to apply, is because it has been mentioned by official sources that "there are 150 different species of Pokemon(way back in gen 1)". Official sources seem to forget about the real life species concept, and also seem to forget about the metamorphosis issue...... so because of this I am assuming there are 649 different species of Pokemon. YEAH I KNOW, kind of nonsense, but I have to fit my taxonomy into the rules that the creators have already set.
Talking about species, there is another problematic topic with Pokemon... EGG GROUPS. If we apply the real life species concept to Pokemon, then a whole egg group would be the same species... like Skitty and Wailord. Evidently this should not be the case. Apparently, reproductive mechanism are totally different in Pokemon compared to real life organisms and, reproduction does not seem to be always correlated with species concept.

This issue is just too controversial and very prone to discussion....... that´s why I like it.

By the way, Eerie Fuwante, no, I will not separate them by Types. Type wont be a taxonomic determinator, because taxonomy should reflect evolution and common ancestry, so grouping Pokemon by morphologic features would seem more logical. Imagine you have a Zebraika, a Rapidash, and a Charizard.... Would you place Rapidash and Charizard in a same family, with Zebraika being a more distant relative?? Or would you group Rapidash and Zebraika in the same group with Charizard as the mor distant relative? I would choose the later, even when Charizard and Rapidash share their fire type. Elemental types are more likely to be a result of convergent evolution, rather than common ancestry.

And about real life phylums... some aspects of the phylogeny will be based on real phylogenetic relationships and taxonom, but not entirely. There wil be some degree of originallity to give the Pokemon evolutionary history some uniqueness. Let´s see how people react to it.

RedMage23

The Red Mage

Nope. Even Pokemon of the same evolutionary line are said to be different species of Pokemon. Evolution (in some cases) is like metamorphosis, but it's not exactly the same.

(Sorry, didn't see the post above this that essentially says the same thing)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I always thought Pikachu's scientific name should be "Mus electricus"

Andyhaunt

Cascade Trainer
I always thought Pikachu's scientific name should be "Mus electricus"

The genus "Mus" is already occupied by a real life animal : the mouse (Mus musculus, actually). As said in the main post, I tried to make unique every genus name, so that they don´t match real organisms´ genera.

Oh, and by the way, there are just two official Pokemon scientific names. Those are Oddish, "Oddium wanderus" from the pokedx entry of Pokemon FireRed, and Kabutops, "Kabutops maximus" from an episode of the Pokemon Anime, Johto Saga. Both of them are on my list. It is funny how the words "Oddium" and "wanderus" are non existant in latin and greek (they are directly taken from englsh words and then latinized), but official stuff is official stuff and gotta stick with it.

Andyhaunt

Cascade Trainer
I have just updated the list for Pokemon subspecies.
I assumed a subspecies as a permanent "forme" of a Pokemon of the same species, so it only applies to Unown, Shellos/Gastrodon, and Basurao formes.
Deoxys, Castform, Meloetta, Hihidaruma, Skymin and Giratina´s formes are not permanent and are interchangeable, and as such, they are not assumed to be subspecies.

Unown A Trombographus symbolicus furor
Unown B Trombographus symbolicus phorus
Unown C Trombographus symbolicus persectus
Unown D Trombographus symbolicus directus
Unown E Trombographus symbolicus praeconnobius
Unown F Trombographus symbolicus reperio
Unown G Trombographus symbolicus donator
Unown H Trombographus symbolicus auxilius
Unown I Trombographus symbolicus augeo
Unown J Trombographus symbolicus junctus
Unown K Trombographus symbolicus conservus
Unown L Trombographus symbolicus risus
Unown M Trombographus symbolicus factor
Unown N Trombographus symbolicus nasifrictor
Unown O Trombographus symbolicus visor
Unown P Trombographus symbolicus performis
Unown Q Trombographus symbolicus velocis
Unown R Trombographus symbolicus resecuris
Unown S Trombographus symbolicus quaeris
Unown T Trombographus symbolicus narratus
Unown U Trombographus symbolicus defacto
Unown V Trombographus symbolicus evanesco
Unown W Trombographus symbolicus desexor
Unown X Trombographus symbolicus crux
Unown Y Trombographus symbolicus proventus
Unown Z Trombographus symbolicus infocus
Unown ! Trombographus symbolicus admiratus
Unown ? Trombographus symbolicus interrogatus

West Shellos Amoebopoda limax occidentalis
East Shellos Amoebopoda limax orientalis
West Gastrodon Amoebopoda marina pardidorsa
East Gastrodon Amoebopoda marina cyanogaster

Blue Line Basurao Chlorocharax violentus liopteryx
Red Line Basurao Chlorocharax violentus rubeocinctatus

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
Talking about species, there is another problematic topic with Pokemon... EGG GROUPS. If we apply the real life species concept to Pokemon, then a whole egg group would be the same species... like Skitty and Wailord. Evidently this should not be the case. Apparently, reproductive mechanism are totally different in Pokemon compared to real life organisms and, reproduction does not seem to be always correlated with species concept.
Yeah, not to mention Pokemon in more than one Egg Group.
But couldn't Pokemon in the same evolution family be different subspecies of the same species?

Andyhaunt

Cascade Trainer
Yeah, not to mention Pokemon in more than one Egg Group.
But couldn't Pokemon in the same evolution family be different subspecies of the same species?

Not a bad idea, but still, as stated before by RedMage and me, Pokemon are "officially" said to be different species even when they belong to the same evolution family. If such official statement would not exist, I would apply everything you have said. The concept of species in the Pokemon World is somewhat abstract.......

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
Not a bad idea, but still, as stated before by RedMage and me, Pokemon are "officially" said to be different species even when they belong to the same evolution family. If such official statement would not exist, I would apply everything you have said. The concept of species in the Pokemon World is somewhat abstract.......

However, I've found a loophole. People often get confused between species and subspecies, and subspecies are sometimes referred to as species.

Eerie Fuwante

Wasting my time
I'm guessing Egg Groups are closer to classes than species. Take Skitty and Wailord. One is based on a street cat, and the other, a whale. In real life, they belong in the same class.

However, some Pokemon belong to two Egg groups, which makes this tricky...

TyranitarFan

Professional Badass
jesus christ, that must have took forever to come up with. but since im only 13, i only understand very few prefixes/suffixes...

Andyhaunt

Cascade Trainer
I'm guessing Egg Groups are closer to classes than species. Take Skitty and Wailord. One is based on a street cat, and the other, a whale. In real life, they belong in the same class.

However, some Pokemon belong to two Egg groups, which makes this tricky...

Yeah, the dual-egg group-pokemon makes classification tricky.... and there are also some Pokemon that change their egg groups upon evolution..... because of this, I will try to avoid looking at egg groups to make the phylogenetic tree (however, I will post an article that explain the biology underlying Egg groups and Pokemon reproduction, trying to discuss why this is not neccesarily corelated to evolutionary relatedness... I already have some ideas, but you´ll see them later when the phylogenetic tree is posted).

By the way, nice observation by comparing egg groups with classes, but it is not always the case. I would say it is not a general pattern, just lok at the ground egg group and you´ll see some diversitiy

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
These all seem very interesting, but I noticed one thing: Eevee's line all share the genus "Heptauxis". I'm assuming that you chose this name for the reason that Eevee has seven evolutions, hence the "Hept-" part. But what if new eeveelutions were released, wouldn't that make it redundant?

I suggest Omniauxis as a genus name. Omni, as you'll probably know, means "many" to my knowledge, so this could be suitable wether Eevee gets any more evolutions or not.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can think of a better name. ;)

jupitol

Hybrid pokemon! ^`_^
That must have taken a long while- quite impressive.

However, technically, whilst I would agree that possibly nidorino/a/king/queen should have divergent names (though, what, with the infertile nidorina and nidoqueen, who knows with that lot)...
Nidoran female can lay nidoran male eggs, and illumise and volbeat... well, I'm reasonably sure that they are the same species, just with the same extreme gender dimorphism seen in nido M and F (reasons: pokedex entries, gender ratio, rough appearence, egg divergence).

Royalty

If the Crown Fits...
My favorite leader in the games...Cyrus. He was so messed up and I like how he basically had his admins and everything, but they didn't matter to him and were just replaceable tools.
I think that my favorite team is Team Rocket with Giovanni in the lead. 1. Because they created Mewtwo and he's been one of my all time favorites since the beginning, 2. They are the originals, and 3. if I joined them, I would be promoted and able to live (in Galactic...I'd be promoted and could end up forgotten or killed off if Cyrus succeeded and created his own world)
The second Team Rocket batch that wanted to call Giovanni back...not as great.
I really can't wait until I can play with the new baddies and see how they compete with the previous ones.

Aqua and Magma...if they won, they'd maybe last a year before thinking, "So...why did we think this was a good idea?"

Status
Not open for further replies.