• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

does time exist?

Upa

Pink Floyd Never Die
Time is an illusion. Just like reality itself. Please spare 45 minute of your time and watch this video (and the ones related to it)

Time exists in reality. But since we cannot be sure if reality is real, the theory of time really is questionable. What about Quantum Physics and the parralel universes? Now all these thoughts are really cool and all but if the universe is expanding it must mean that time is too. Since the universe is basically 4 dimensions, the 4th being time and space. But when you consider the General Theory of Relativity, time seems to stop if you take one of Albert's examples. But does it really? Hell no, its just an illusion. Like reality itself. And like this post.

jefferies

Ok, firstly to the explanation of time as a dimension. As it happens I take physics at A-level and I do understand the description of time as an extra dimension ( I understood this basic concept long ago), it is a constituent of the fabric of space-time and as such time is not constant the speed of light is. But then time is merely a symbol in an equation:'t' and is merely something that allows our equations to work. However, many things that have been inserted into equations before to make them 'work' have been discovered to not exist, or rather have not been shown to exist. And so the question has not been tackled. And to the argument that we age so time must exist this is surely missing the point of the question entirely. Time itself has not caused the ageing process, the particles that constitute our bodies our continuously interacting and hence causing the ageing effects that we see. These processes occur independently of time. For example I'm sure we all know the basic laws of thermodynamics, and we therefore know that entropy must always increase hence a system must become less ordered and all things must inevitably come to an end. Aging and subsequently death must be the cause of entropy and thermodynamics not time itself which is merely an idea to make such concepts easier to comprehend for the feeble human brain.

jefferies

"Time is an illusion. Just like reality itself. Please spare 45 minute of your time and watch this video (and the ones related to it)

Time exists in reality. But since we cannot be sure if reality is real, the theory of time really is questionable. What about Quantum Physics and the parralel universes? Now all these thoughts are really cool and all but if the universe is expanding it must mean that time is too. Since the universe is basically 4 dimensions, the 4th being time and space. But when you consider the General Theory of Relativity, time seems to stop if you take one of Albert's examples. But does it really? Hell no, its just an illusion. Like reality itself. And like this post."

Upa Please don't insult me, I understand basic physics, as it happens I am finished with the highest marks in the year for physics (as well as maths and chemistry) and I have heard all of this before. As I said this is not my opinion and I am merely seeing others opinions on the subject. I think you are the one who needs to watch said videos as you clearly have it all wrong for example: "Since the universe is basically 4 dimensions, the 4th being time and space". Space makes up 3 dimensions (x,y,z) and time is the fourth they together make up space-time. And to the point of Quantum physics and parallel universes I don't understand you. Quantum physics in reliant on probability and can occur without time. And as it happens several grand theories of science (in which quantum physics and relativity have been combined) have been achieved when time at a fundamental level is scrapped. Finally, to your point about time expanding, space has been shown by Edwin Hubble to be expanding but I don't know how you can jump to the conclusion that time is 'expanding' as well. Surely this is reliant upon the answer to the question you have failed to answer.

Last edited:

jefferies

So many stupid people with so many stupid retorts who really have no idea what is being asked.
I don't think time exists. I've been obsessed with Time Dilation and relativity and control and my favorite movies involve stopping time or returning the past or venturing to the future and I've thought alot of it and I've decided that time put into numerical notation doesn't exist, and is impossible to stop, however as a rate of change it does exist because things are always changing. It's a dimension, not something you can easily put a number on.
So many stupid people with so many stupid retorts who really have no idea what is being asked.
Yes I couldn’t agree more, the majority seem to have misunderstood what I am asking. They tell me about how space-time can be bent and some physics that I learnt at 10. But I am questioning this science, I am questioning whether we think science is on the right track and if the’t’ in those equations I so often use exist outside the human brain. Do we see time as a dimension merely because it fits in with our equations our does it exist in a way other than to make concepts simpler. And please everyone, I'm not an idiot I know basic physics I'm sure we all do, so please stop telling me what relativity is!

jefferies

I don't think time exists. I've been obsessed with Time Dilation and relativity and control and my favorite movies involve stopping time or returning the past or venturing to the future and I've thought alot of it and I've decided that time put into numerical notation doesn't exist, and is impossible to stop, however as a rate of change it does exist because things are always changing. It's a dimension, not something you can easily put a number on.
"So many stupid people with so many stupid retorts who really have no idea what is being asked."
Yes I couldn’t agree more, the majority seem to have misunderstood what I am asking. They tell me about how space-time can be bent and some physics that I learnt at 10. But I am questioning this science, I am questioning whether we think science is on the right track and if the’t’ in those equations I so often use exist outside the human brain. Do we see time as a dimension merely because it fits in with our equations our does it exist in a way other than to make concepts simpler. And please everyone, I'm not an idiot I know basic physics I'm sure we all do, so please stop telling me what relativity is!

Daimona

Hero of Truth
Depends on how you define time. I'd say no, time doesn't exist, other than in a metaphysical sense.

"Time" is just a concept we invented to measure development, to devide our experiences into manageable pieces.

The notion of time is merely a subjective one, not objective.

RedStarWarrior

Forum Tsar
Time is just a measurement devised by humans in an attempt to further understand our universe. If you want to think of it as an actual thing, such as a temporal dimension, it would be a continuous series of instances. However, the time that most people think of is just the perceived gauge of those instances.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
wow, so many dimension thingies, i think its just yes with a little no like i said

Yes, time is on of our universe's 4 dimensions.
If it wouldn't exist, nothing would change obviously.

Besides, time is affected and rapidly moves nearby black holes (those rips in the timespace continuüm), 30 minutes for you near a black hole would be less than a second for someone on Earth. Unfortunatly your atoms would be ripped to pieces in a few nanoseconds.

Alpha Gamer

Strength & Strategy
Time is just a measurement devised by humans in an attempt to further understand our universe. If you want to think of it as an actual thing, such as a temporal dimension, it would be a continuous series of instances. However, the time that most people think of is just the perceived gauge of those instances.

This.

10char

Lucos

Time does exist, it's not an illusion, but time is relative, it's not a solid phenomenom like gravity, although gravity is not the right example since the origin of gravity can be discussed also (for instance scientists believe gravity is actually related to time).

We can only measure time when we can compare one object to another. For example, if our universe was entirely empty, time would not exist.
If our universe had only one moving object and one object only, there still wouldn't be any time to measure, but if our universe had two moving objects, THEN we can measure time.

So yeah, time does exist and it's not an illusion, but it's relative and you need at least two objects in order to be able to measure time.

Some scientists say time is a 4th dimension, a dimension that's present within our 3 visible dimensions.
Gravity is a product of this 4th dimension, it's a force that Einstein called space-time, where the 4th dimension, "time", influences our 3-dimensional universe and the other way around.
According to the space-time theory, mass influences the relation between the "time dimension" and our 3 visible dimensions, it creates a curve in the space related to time (space-time) and so objects are pulled towards each other when their masses are big enough.
For example: Did you know that we, humans, also practice a gravity-force on the earth? Although our "personal gravity" is a countless times smaller then the gravity force of the earth, we still can see a small movement in the earth when a million of people would decide to jump at the same time at the same place.

crobatman

I say time exist becuase I never have enough of it. It is the most scarce "thing" in the universe.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
Time doesn't technically exist because time is an idea created for the benifit of organization for humans. Humans created years, months, days, minutes, seconds, all units of time, based on the movements of the Earth and other heavenly bodies within the solar system. If we had never had the capacity to take in the movement of said bodies then the idea of time would never have been created. Thus, time does not truly exist

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Time is a human idea, something conjured up to show progression in years, minutes, etc.
However, time also exists as the 4th dimension. I didn't fully understand how time could be a dimension much like length, width, and height are, because I though time was just straightforward, something absolute. A theory suggests that time is relative to various things, such as how fast a given object is moving. The theory suggests that the faster an object is moving, the slower time passes by for that object.

Another theory suggests, again with time being a dimension, that all the dimensions make up the fabric of space. This fabric is naturally distorted a bit by gravitational pull(more massive objects have a larger gravitational pull towards them, thus distorting this fabric more then less massive objects). The more this fabric is distorted, the slower time appears to move. Black holes are said to have infinite mass because they distort this 'space fabric' so much that it rips. So, theoretically, if one were to travel into a black hole, time would become slower and slower, until the point where it apparently seems to stop altogether.

Time is relative to everyone, depending on how fast we are traveling at that given point in time, or how high above earth we are. So yes, time does exist outside just a human idea.

Grei

not the color
The wittiness in this thread is killing me.

Of course time exists. Man essentially made time. It exists just as a meter, a mile, and a liter exists--it's a measurement.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
The wittiness in this thread is killing me.

Of course time exists. Man essentially made time. It exists just as a meter, a mile, and a liter exists--it's a measurement.

No, time isn't a measurement. Minutes, seconds, hours are measurements, created for measuring time, in the sense of the man made idea, not the dimension.