• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

does time exist?

jefferies

Hi

I'm new, reading through the debate topics it seems like there were enough topics devoted to religion and politics and so I thought why not debate something else.

Anyway to the point, I'm sure we've all had this thought: does time exist? Or is it merely an idea. Humans perceive physical reality and are able to describe what is real. If we can touch material objects, then material objects are physical and hence exist. To those aspects of reality such as light which cannot be seen or felt we can still see the effects of it's interaction with physical reality. Similarly with gravity we can feel the effects of this force. As time does not interact with us or reality does it exist? Was it merely fabricated by humanity to try to bring some order to the otherwise chaotic world they inhabited. As a last point time has also be shown to break down when attempting to describe the universe at a quantum level. My personal opinion is that time exists but I won't go into why as I've already wrote enough. Your opinions...?

P.S. when having this debate with one of my friends in school (as you do) another boy interrupted with: " I have a watch, so time must exist! " which I found extremely funny and thought you guys might.

Last edited:

clone1

Aesthetics brahz
Time has to exist because without time no change would occur. Everything is changing so that means time must exist.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
yes and no, the hours and so on dont exist and time is actually how everything changes and so on and (its hard to explain) scientists figured out that if you bend some spatial 'waves', a kind of line of being back onto themselves, you go kinda back in time, but its technical impossible at the moment

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
Time is the amount of light we have per day. as there are 24 (unequally split) time zones, which each being 1 hour apart. meaning we have 24 hours a day (technically more, adds up to leap year).

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Time is largely a human invention. In theory, it is an explanation for the phenomena of the 4th dimension. If you think of it geometrically, time is a line (like the first dimension) connecting something as it is with what it was and will be. We are confined to a single line of time, so it makes us difficult to imagine concepts such as timelessness, or omnipresence. But higher dimensional thinking will tell you that time may not necessarily exist: that all points in time exist at once. But since we are confined to a single timeline by our dimensional limitations, we experience these points in time in a chronological sequence, creating the illusion of time.

So yes, time exists, but our version of it exists only in our dimension.

jldr

just some guy
well, it's just one of those rhetorical questions. i guess it just matters on ur own opinion if u wanna believe that time exists or not

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Time is really just a way to measure how long something takes. I'm not sure what to say about this. As for what it measures well we can perceive things taking set amount of minutes or seconds to move or age. I'd say it's just largely a human invention though and not really a force.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
So many stupid people with so many stupid retorts who really have no idea what is being asked.
I don't think time exists. I've been obsessed with Time Dilation and relativity and control and my favorite movies involve stopping time or returning the past or venturing to the future and I've thought alot of it and I've decided that time put into numerical notation doesn't exist, and is impossible to stop, however as a rate of change it does exist because things are always changing. It's a dimension, not something you can easily put a number on.

Dave.

Time's called the 4th Dimension for a reason. In reality it's just like the other 3, except we can't graph it visually. But it is just a plane, as are the other 3. We only see from the perspective of individual points on a line going through this plane as time progresses forward, thus we only see the changes in the other 3 around us. Through this we act only through individual moments, influenced by the previous time to go from X1,Y1,Z1 to X2,Y2,Z2. Basically, our entire life, movement-wise, could be plotted in one 4 Dimensional Line if we could draw the 4th Dimension. Be very thankful that you can't, otherwise just imagine how horrible it'd be.

Activebuttons

Break On Through.
Time is sort of a hard thing to explain. It's merely an idea to measure how many hours are in a day, how much time it takes for something to be completed, and it's just basically something we use to keep track of records, places to go, and when the deadline is to pay for that crack that you "borrowed".

Erienne

Anime high :D
Time is a dimension, like space. It is very real, and differences can be measured with clocks, like time dilation.