• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fencing?

Kabuto

little punks!
I tried it and I quit, but it was a fun run. Didn't seem like anything I needed to do more than once for the experience.

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
Eww, a lefty fencer. Gtfo my strip. :p

Joking aside, I've been to one tournament and i noticed that quite a few of the high scores were left handed. I do believe that lefties are at an advantage at this sport.

My friend says it's because we can get "The fleshy underbelly" of righties. He is refering to their sides.

QuailMan

Carpe Jugulum
Sabre is intense because of the slashing. It's the most expensive though.

It's just fast-paced. It's the most expensive to buy the initial equipment, but, in the long run, Épée can get more expensive, because of all the maintenance associated with it.

I'm left handed if anyone cares. It makes me mad whenever I hear "You win because you're left-handed" or "No one wants to fence you because you're left handed." It's one thing to be critisize, but a completley different thing to berate because I use a different hand. I'm getting better, I managed to lose to the Girl's team captain by only one point after I got two touches on her in a row.

Lefties require a slightly different fencing style, and lots of people (including lefties themselves) aren't used to it, seeing as righties out number lefties nine to one. They all (including lefties) fence righties most of the time, and get used to that style.

The only real difference (for saber, at least) is that always get attacked to the chest while fencing, and aren't able to practice parrying attacks to their back. Thus, they stand so it is hard for others to hit their backs. People aren't used to having to move to the side of the strip to hit lefties on their backs. If you and your team mates practice against left-handed fencers more often, then those problems will be eliminated.

EDIT:

My friend says it's because we can get "The fleshy underbelly" of righties. He is refering to their sides.

Then they need to work on parries one and two, or work on circle parries.

Last edited:

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
To be honest, until now I had never even heard of it.

Congrats?

Anyone here use Belgian grips? My teammate is obsessed with them.

DieChavsDie

It sounds fun, but Fencing isnt very big here in England, and I could never find a place to do it, so I took Martial Arts instead.

Id like to think my training in the martial arts would help me if I ever learnt to fence (I am a good dodger, and I have quick reflexes)

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
It sounds fun, but Fencing isnt very big here in England, and I could never find a place to do it, so I took Martial Arts instead.

Id like to think my training in the martial arts would help me if I ever learnt to fence (I am a good dodger, and I have quick reflexes)

Really? I figure it would be big in England considering the weather. BAH. Big meet soon and practice is cancelled due to weather. My blade is with my coach. o_<

Vantage

I ain't witty, so no
Looks fun to me. The swords they use look pretty cool, almost like a rapier (sp?). Not something I would try, however. I'm not really that quick.

QuailMan

Carpe Jugulum
Is anyone here going to the Junior Olympics this weekend? I am, for the 17&under saber, and it will be my first national tournament.

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
Is anyone here going to the Junior Olympics this weekend? I am, for the 17&under saber, and it will be my first national tournament.

No, I won't. Best of luck. Watch your glove hand. Pray for righties and that's all I've got. Don't flesh unless your uber desprite.

QuailMan

Carpe Jugulum
No, I won't. Best of luck. Watch your glove hand. Pray for righties and that's all I've got. Don't flesh unless your uber desprite.

Thank you. I don't usualy worry about fleshing, seeing as it's illegal to cross your feet in saber ;)

DieChavsDie

Good Luck Quailman!

BTW, just found out that some Uni's do Fencing clubs, so I might join then. Ive got 2 years of College starting in September, then Uni.

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
Lefties are better, huh? Good. I am a lefty...and I wouldn't mind trying fencing. But I live in southern Oklahoma...and I have no idea of a fencing school anywhere round here.

Shinin

Minimalist
Really? I figure it would be big in England considering the weather. BAH. Big meet soon and practice is cancelled due to weather. My blade is with my coach. o_<

What does fencing have to do with weather?

DieChavsDie

Probrably the amount of rain us in England get. Fencing being, correct me if Im wrong, an Indoor sport.

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
Probrably the amount of rain us in England get. Fencing being, correct me if Im wrong, an Indoor sport.

Yes it is.

Oy, at my most recent meet I did bad. I gave up stupid points and somehow busted a teamblade. Two yellow gaurds and some how got one lighted when I lunged and the kid didn't even move.

Sir Devious

Sir Devious
I have terrible reflexes and would get pwned. It looks cool though.

It's been about 8 years since I first (and last) fenced. It was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm a big fan of martial arts, and am quite knowledgeable (or used to be) in that particular field. Fencing particularly strikes my fancy due to its European heritage (French, I think) and the fact that it is used as a strong foundation of Jeet Kune Do; primarily the footwork and the quickness to hit your opponent before they hit you.

It's a great combative art.

Oh and I admire, as well as envy, your persistence in fencing. You must have a lot of passion and motivation for it, or so I should imagine.