• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Help Getting Started

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
Okay, as some of you may know, I've been planning for a while now to finally get started on my first chaptered Fanfiction. I have plenty of "original" concepts in mind and a general idea of where the plot will go, and I'd love to begin writing some of the later chapters. Unfortunately, I have a problem that's preventing me from getting there: I can't/don't want to write the first chapter.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? It's rare for me, since I usually encounter difficulties in the middle of a story instead of the beginning or end. The thing is, the story starts out as possibly a normal "shipping" story, but there's a huge twist added later that changes the entire meaning of it. (I really don't want to give anything away, so that's all I can say about it right now.) The twist appears early, thankfully, but until then the story sounds horribly dull and uninteresting. Here's a link to a preview I posted a while back so you can see what I mean:

Chasing Rainbows: Preview

Basically, what I'm worried about is how to capture and hold the reader's attention long enough for the real plot to kick in, without being misleading. Scratch that, I just want an interesting first chapter instead of the mess I wrote. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to grab the reader's attention? (Sorry if I didn't give enough information on my part.)

Azurne

~ ♥ ~
So... are you asking for a subplot to hold the readers attention for more than one chapter? Or do you need some 'Reader bait' to get their eyes caught on your first paragraph and keep reading? Or do you need both? I'm a bit confused...

But in all cases, I think I can help you. Because I love getting the reader caught onto stuff. xP If you want, you can PM me and I'll help, or I guess we could use this thread... *shrug* Doesn't matter to me. Just... get me un-confused first. :D

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
Usually, the first chapter is easy for me. I think maybe if you want, write later chapters first, then develop your first chapter from how they turn out. Just watch out so you don't have inconsistancies.

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
So... are you asking for a subplot to hold the readers attention for more than one chapter? Or do you need some 'Reader bait' to get their eyes caught on your first paragraph and keep reading? Or do you need both? I'm a bit confused...

But in all cases, I think I can help you. Because I love getting the reader caught onto stuff. xP If you want, you can PM me and I'll help, or I guess we could use this thread... *shrug* Doesn't matter to me. Just... get me un-confused first. :D

Basically I need the second thing you mentioned: 'Reader bait'. Anything to get the reader hooked from the beginning.

General suggestions for grabbing the reader's attention can go in this thread, I guess. I'm hoping to get some ideas and maybe be able to build off of those.

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
Usually, the first part comes easy, at least for me. If I ever decide to write a story, the entire Pilot usually pops into my head. Maybe if you PM me with exact details, I can help more.

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
Usually, the first part comes easy, at least for me. If I ever decide to write a story, the entire Pilot usually pops into my head. Maybe if you PM me with exact details, I can help more.

The first part is usually easy for me too. That's why I'm asking for help, I've never had to face this kind of problem before.

I really appreciate you guys offering to help privately. Are you really sure? I feel kind of hesitant to ask when the story doesn't really deserve such close attention(IMO, anyway).

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
lilbluecorsola said:
Unfortunately, I have a problem that's preventing me from getting there: I can't/don't want to write the first chapter.
Bwahah, just had to quote that line, as that would be why my fic has a four-month average wait on chappies. xD

But, in all seriousness... (ya-hah, Chibi seriousness, what next?)

Reader bait, reader bait, hmmmm.... I had that problem in meh old Prologue. It pretty much sucked. After Frosty (from PC: r'member him?) critted it, I threw it out the window after realizing the sorry boredom it envoked.

lilbluecorsola said:
Basically, what I'm worried about is how to capture and hold the reader's attention long enough for the real plot to kick in, without being misleading. Scratch that, I just want an interesting first chapter instead of the mess I wrote. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to grab the reader's attention? (Sorry if I didn't give enough information on my part.)
I dunno...my fic's first chappie still sucks (even after fixing the Prologue), and I'm now opting for an intro that would be much less reader-hooking, but on the whole far less misleading, not as obvious, and with more interesting, versimilitude-type junk.

I guess it can be preference. The establishment of characters is important, and it can be difficult to juggle that with development, plot, and make an impression on the reader. Just always know that you'd be surprised what readers find interesting. Sometimes I write developmental-type scenes that I love, but figure everyone'll find it boring as hell, only to find that they don't. Even nothing can be something, if it's handled right (paradoxes ftw).

Yeah...handling is my favorite word--I say it way to much (along with balance) when its comepletely arbitrary and usually not helpful to people. x3

~Chibi~;249;;448;

*Rereads post* Alright, I'm starting to sound like those pseudo-intellectual idiots who spout incomprehensible jabber in their posts trying to seem smarter than they really are. Although most of them are 12-ish, so maybe not...*hides under rock.*