• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HGSS PokeDex Discussion

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
I'm not sure about you guys, but I always felt that G/S/C were far too saturated with Kanto Pokemon. Obviously the games were direct sequels to R/B/Y, and some Kanto Pokemon are needed as they have evolutions introduced in Johto [not to mention other plot devices such as the Slowpoke Tail]. That may be, but when there's a 75% chance the next Pokemon you encounter is from Kanto throughout the entire game, you start wondering what region you're in.

So my question is, do you think the PokeDex will be modified in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Do you want it to be to include less Kanto Pokemon so that the Johto Pokemon can take the attention they deserve for their game? Or did you like the PokeDex line-up in the originals?

Kai-zero

Trains All Types
I'd like a Johto Pokedex that had about 75-80% Johto Pokemon with the last 25-20% being kanto pokemon. I'd also like them to add the new pre-evolutions and post evolutions that were introduced in D/P/Pt simply to allow evolution as well as fill out the Johto dex more.

SilverMorty

They should at least move some pokemon like Houndour and Murkrow earlier on in the game in Johto. I'm just not sure where they should place someone like Slugma though..(maybe burned tower?)

also maybe they could even open up a route in Cianwood Island, but i doubt it since route numbers are taken by other games, and it would be strange to suddenly jump route numbers that great.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Well the trouble is that there are only 100 Johto Pokemon total. 6 are legendaries, and 9 are starters. 17 of them are related to old Pokemon. That leaves 68 Pokemon (if we only used Johto Pokemon) to spread around the entire region, including evolutions, version exclusives, ones that're supposed to be "rare," etc. Of course, there are new preevos and evos to some of the Johto families, making it a little bigger. I do think the amount of Kanto Pokemon should be cut down slightly, but I'd rather have a bigger variety of Pokemon and it less "Johto" than the same Johto Pokemon over and over again.

I think it should be kept the same, I mean FR/LG's Pokedex was kept the same, so why can't these games stay the same, mind you, the original G/S/C's Pokedex was a National Dex though...

I think they should keep it from 001~251, so it was like the original and call it the Johto Dex, and then they can have the Pokedex Red, with Golden and Silver coloured menus.

Rensch

I think it stays the same. The classic order will perhaps be removed and not be available until you get the national mode.

The Johto Pokédex will get numbered with Chikorita being number one.

That's what I think because it would be more consistent with DPP and the 3rd generation games.

ForeverFlame

Yes, I think that they should add all of the RSE/DPP pre-evolutions and evolutions. That way some of the more useless Johto Pokemon can actually be useable (or more accessable, if there were pre-evolutions).

Or, they could at least pull a Diamond and Pearl and allow for the Pokemon to evolve even without their evolutions being in the Pokedex.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I hope it's not like FrLg where you can't get non-regional evolutions before the National Pokedex. Plus the Daycare Center is available early on (unless they cut that out/make it closed til later), so what would they do about breeding preevos if they made it like that?

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I would prefer the HGSS pokedex to stay the same as the GSC pokedex, with ONLY Johto and Kanto pokemon, although the pokedex could be expanded when we reach the Kanto part of the game. I wouldn't mind really if they kept new evo's/prevo's in the PokeDex, that would be good.

SilverMorty

I hope it's not like FrLg where you can't get non-regional evolutions before the National Pokedex. Plus the Daycare Center is available early on (unless they cut that out/make it closed til later), so what would they do about breeding preevos if they made it like that?

Whell the new pre-evos do need Incenses so if they closed off the later generations then it would be as easy as making the Incenses available only after the E4

pela

I think they should keep the same dex as in the old games and not have restrictions of evos like in FrLg (so u can evolve pokemons like sneasel and piloswine), but get a national dex after u beat the E4 u see pokes from sinnoh and hoenn in kanto, and u can also find items like magamrizer/electirizer and the incenses

dynamo

Do not pass Go.
I'm just gonna be a bold ****er and say it.
National Dex right from the bat, except you can't trade to DPPt until after the E4, so most Pokemon obviously still restricted. But no evolutions restricted. In return, turn up the difficulty. Seriously, Level ~30 at the fifth gym?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I would prefer a Johto pokedex that has all the Johto pokemon, the preevos and new evos, and a few Kanto pokemon. But they'd probably have to squeeze in pokemon like Houndour, Larvitar, and Misdreavus. Then, you get the National Dex after beating the Elite 4.

Charzard Tamer

Johto Bound
I definatly think they need to keep the Dex as it was in GSC. They could take some Kanto Pokemon out for until you reach Kanto, though. I really don't want to see them flood the Pokedex with all the new 4th Gen evolutions and Pokemon. Atleast keep it Kanto/Johto until you visit Kanto, were you get a new National Dex, that has some Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon, like evolutions, but not all.

iAmDewgong

Not too shabby
I want evos like Gliscor to be avaible pre-E4. The FRLG solution was boring ._.

Edit - However, Hoenn's or Sinnoh's no-relation-with-Johto-or-Kanto-'mons can I live without, really.

Last edited:

me1212

In FR/LG you could get pokemon from 152 on and they would not have numbers till you got the nat dex. I know I have done it. They work the same, just no dex number till after you get the national dex. Maybe they will do that here too, I would be shocked if they did not. I do not want to have to do like in FR/LG to be able to with Saph/ruby/emerald this time just let us do it from the start.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
If its a direct remake then they will probably just keep it the same as it was in the GBC versions. My Piloswine will be trying to evolve all the time and I'd have to find and everstone or just get rid of ancient power until it can evolve... So thats kinda lame IMO. I'd like a "slightly enhanced" Johoto dex, kinda like the platinum dex. That has all the pokemon it had from the GBC versions, plus like 90 more or so which would cover the new pre-evos and post evos, plus add some cool pokemon like Absol, and tropius.

I also wonder how they would do the pokedex. Would it be "gotta catch em all"? or the D/P/Pt way of see em all first, then catch em all? Cause I imagine it would be hard to force you to catch Mew, Mewtwo, the birds, The other box legend, and Celebii before being allowed into Kanto..

charmander04

Personally, the Johto Dex was priceless. I loved the supreme length, all the Kanto Pokemon, with several new faces. If anything, I expect (and hope) it will stay the same, much like what happened in FRLG, with evolutions obtainable after the game, as with incenses.

andrew517

DigitalDerpGaming
i think the pokedex should drop the pokemon who can not be caught in the johto region
like mew, mewtwo, bird tro, kanto starters,etc.

Blazios

I'd prefer it if they did something similar to D/P/P, i.e. keep the Johto Pokédex but enable trading of Pokémon not in the dex to the game, with no evolutionary restrictions. That way, if you wanted to, you could have the new evos and be able to play through with something exotic, without changing the "feel" of the game. You could even keep the trainers with Pokémon from the old Johto dex. The trading restrictions were one of the reasons I didn't like FR/LG as much and why I like D/P more. One of my favourite playthroughs on Pearl was with 6 old Pokémon with new Sinnoh evos, all trained from eggs.