• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MLB thread

Mye

Someone has to win..
I agree about how the yankees need some sort of change, but you're looking at it a bit wrong. Their division has been pretty bad over the past few seasons, yet despite that they have yet to make the playoffs over the last 2. While many could blame Girardi for that, let's not forget that the team he's had has been pretty horrible with guys like Sabathia being pretty inconsistent (injured half the time), Tanaka looking like a huge waste of cash so far (injured for half of last season), and their infield being crappy when it comes to scoring runs (the combined production from their shortstop and 1st/2nd/3rd basemen was ranked 18th in RBI's last year). If Girardi gets fired from the yankees, it'd be a huge mistake on both ends as there'd be tons of teams wanting to sign him and few people more suitable to replace him.

In semi-related to new york news: the Mets closer Jenrry Mejia was suspended 80 games for using PED's. It truly is a huge shame, as I honestly thought this'd be the year the mets could usurp atlanta and take over that "gimmie" wild-card spot in the NL.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Cubs beat the Rockies 9-5 with the offense coming through with some clutch hitting, which has seemed to be something that they struggled with the past few years.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Watching the Red Sox game, hear that Zimmerman's ex-teammate called him the ace of the Nationals' staff... and Mookie Betts smacks a three-run homer into the Monster seats, not to mention a pair of wild pitches on the next batter (Boegarts, I believe?). What's going on? I mean, I know it's early in the year, but everyone was saying Washington would win it all this year, and yet they only have like, two wins so far.

EDIT: My bad, Boegarts came before Leon, who was the ex-National I mentioned, and HE came before Betts.

Last edited:

BCVM22

I mean, I know it's early in the year, but everyone was saying Washington would win it all this year, and yet they only have like, two wins so far.

The first part of your sentence precludes the second part from meaning anything (yet). It's simply far, far too early to take any stat, individual or team, as significant yet.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'm just gonna say I'm befuddled why the Yankees gave up Greene when pitching was their biggest offseason issue. Obviously anything can happen and Greene will struggle at times in the future, but having a proven pitcher is always a good thing.

BCVM22

Shane Green's half season in the majors in 2014 wasn't terribly special - perfectly serviceable, but nothing more - and evidently the Yankees felt that whatever chance there was he might get significantly better (or at least not regress significantly) was outweighed by the opportunity trade him away for a player whom they felt could be their everyday shortstop in Didi Gregorius. It isn't a deal I would have made, but I'm not a major league GM, so no one asked me.

Too early to tell if the trade really worked out for either side - Greene has made only the one start so far this season and Gregorius has struggled in the initial small sample size so far - but that was the thinking.

Puma Italia

Of course the Yankees look like the losers of the Shane Greene trade right now. Gregorius has been horrible early on, but I don't think anyone saw him being this bad. They got him for his glove, which hasn't shown up yet. I liked Greene, but when Ivan Nova comes back, he wouldn't have a place in the rotation anyway.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So Kris Bryant was finally brought up and played in his first major league game yesterday. He went 0-4 with three strike outs, but I'm positive that he'll be a big piece to the Cubs offense throughout the season and probably many more to come. I'm pretty excited to see the guy in action this year.

Vernikova

Champion
Woo!

A-Rod, go, go, go! He'll be breaking that record soon.

Puma Italia

Woo!

A-Rod, go, go, go! He'll be breaking that record soon.

and the Yankees will pretend like nothing happened. I don't think anyone saw him being this good. How long will it take for people to accuse him of still taking steroids? (if they haven't started already)

BCVM22

How long? They never stopped. People will continue the accusations and the grandstanding and the hand-wringing, like that one obnoxiously sanctimonious Orioles fan, and he'll continue to be tested as rigorously as the CBA allows, and life will go on. That's the price that every talented player from the era pays, deservingly so or otherwise.

Ilikepiex7

we are through at least 10 games for every team now the divisions are still close expect for a few teams are struggling being 5+ games back in the division

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'm interested in how the NL Central will turn out by the end of the season. I'm hoping that the Cubs at least place in 3rd or higher with a winning record; I'm not expecting them to make the playoffs but anything can happen. It should be an interesting season though.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Be straight with me: Is there any foreseeable solution to the Red Sox' rotation? Bucholz sucks, Miley sucks, and I don't even wanna THINK about how many no-decisions our starters have chalked up!

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
At this point, I'd trust the farm system's pitching more than I'd trust the front office to ever take another ace seriously, not that an ace would even want to come to Boston after the way Lester was insulted.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Speaking of Lester it seems like he's starting to improve in his starts as a Cub. I think in his last start he went 6 innings and gave up 3 runs, but he also had 10 strike outs. So it seems like he's on the right track. I had no clue that he had problems with his pick off moves though.

BCVM22

At this point, I'd trust the farm system's pitching more than I'd trust the front office to ever take another ace seriously, not that an ace would even want to come to Boston after the way Lester was insulted.

That's overstating matters significantly. One, if you trade for a guy without a NTC, it's not like he has a choice, and two, if you offer a guy enough money - as the Red Sox are perfectly able and willing to do - then ultimately he'll say "Lester? Insulted? I, uh, never heard that story. Where do I sign this contract?"

Mye

Someone has to win..
See, I'm sorta thinking you both have it half-right. The Boston front office is in a really weird position right now. They won a world series 2 years ago, but certain "contract issues" (namely Lester unwilling to extend his contract) forced them into trading off assets and doing a rebuild of sorts rather than "doubling down" and going for another one. They've also had trouble "assessing" their division, as even though they're in a rebuild they could still contend for a playoff spot if they did a few little tweaks. Assuming Toronto does what I think they're gonna do, I'm thinking Boston will finish 74-88 this season and be tied for 3rd with the Orioles (with Toronto winning the division by 3 games over what I expect to be an 82-80 yankees team).

Also, it's about 1/8th the way into the season and the Astros/Cubs/Rockies are a combined 12 games above .500. Be afraid, be very afraid.