• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Mario Thread

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't think we've ever had a thread dedicated to the Super Mario Bros franchise before, so with the announcement of Super Mario Odyssey, this seems like a good time to make one.

So what are everyone's thoughts on the game so far? I think it looks absolutely amazing. It seems to have everything I want from a Mario game and more. I can't wait to learn more about it.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The real world location surroundings remind me of a mesh between the Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed.

(I'm not saying that the quality looks like 06 as much as the rendition.)

I guess Bowser is ready after what happened in Super Paper Mario. LOL!

Overall, like any Mario game, I'm looking forward to it, but the real world surroundings are kind of bizarre to me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The real world location surroundings remind me of a mesh between the Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed.

(I'm not saying that the quality looks like 06 as much as the rendition.)

I guess Bowser is ready after what happened in Super Paper Mario. LOL!

Overall, like any Mario game, I'm looking forward to it, but the real world surroundings are kind of bizarre to me.

If I understood things correctly, the purpose of this game is Mario traveling to various worlds or lands. The New York setting is just one of those "magical" worlds. The best way to interpret the fact that we have Mario standing next to a realistic person is that these people are just another type "magical" denizen along the lines of Toads, Piantas, Pink Bomb-omb, Luma, etc. I personally think it's wacky in all the right ways.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Nah, there is only one globe there in the logo and in the ship. It is just one big world adventure, Sanic style.

The New York setting is called New Donk City and has all sorts of references to Kong series, but particularly the original Kong and it homages the shift from Jumpman era and original Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It's about time we got a sandbox Mario game again. Exploration based platformers are such a rarity nowadays, Mario's been going classic linear style for so long now, this is the breath of fresh air that the series really needed.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Nah, there is only one globe there in the logo and in the ship. It is just one big world adventure, Sanic style.

That's why I said worlds or lands, instead of just worlds. Even if they're all on the same globe, they pretty much seem like their own little (or rather big) world. Regardless, it's all fun stuff.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It's definitely nice to see us going back to a Super Mario 64/Sunshine kind of Mario game for sure! I enjoyed Galaxy and 3D World a lot but even then, I can't wait for bigger exploration, especially with how nice the worlds look! Plus there's some liveliness judging by the city and the western-town place which is always appreciated.

Last edited:

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I have to say, this is the most interested in a Mario game I've been for a while. And I'm a big Mario fan to boot and loved the previous 3D games, too.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's an hour and a half long, but this video does an excellent job at analyzing and dissecting the Super Mario Odyssey reveal trailer. If you have the time and are interested in the game, I highly suggest you watch it.

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
Wow this thread is almost dying

So I've recently started playing Super Mario World and I was surpised when I got hit as Fire Mario and reverted to Small Mario. I've always been used to the fact that you would revert to Super Mario instead. Sure, storing power-ups was introduced, but I still don't understand why Nintendo did this.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wow this thread is almost dying

So I've recently started playing Super Mario World and I was surpised when I got hit as Fire Mario and reverted to Small Mario. I've always been used to the fact that you would revert to Super Mario instead. Sure, storing power-ups was introduced, but I still don't understand why Nintendo did this.

To be fair, this was only the fourth Mario game, and they were still figuring things out. Likely their thought process was it was a way of balancing out the fact that you could carry an extra power up in your stock.

Anyways, hope you enjoy Mario World, it is easily my favorite 2D Mario game, and was actually the first video game I ever owned.

Pokemon Power

Quick question. Do we have to talk about just 2D and 3D Mario platformers, or are we also allowed to talk about spin-offs like Mario Kart and Mario Party?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Quick question. Do we have to talk about just 2D and 3D Mario platformers, or are we also allowed to talk about spin-offs like Mario Kart and Mario Party?

It's a general Mario thread, so anything in the franchise is fine.

Pokemon Power

OK then. Does anyone think there will be any Switch-exclusive DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Me, I think there will be two packs just like the Wii U version, each with three characters, four kart pieces, and two new cups with eight new tracks.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
OK then. Does anyone think there will be any Switch-exclusive DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Me, I think there will be two packs just like the Wii U version, each with three characters, four kart pieces, and two new cups with eight new tracks.

Speaking of potential DLC characters, who would you all like to see as new DLC characters?

R_N

I think substantial DX dlc makes sense only if they dont plan on MK9. Not that I see MK9 dropping soon regardless, but I could see them saving that effort for a full fledged MK9 with its ow ndealies.

If there's DLC I could see it more like...little packs of stuff. Carts, battle mode courses, some characters. Things like that.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Speaking of potential DLC characters, who would you all like to see as new DLC characters?

What I'd like to see is the total transformation of this game into Smash Bros. Kart and have them go all-out with the introduction of other Nintendo characters like Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, and the like, but I know that's not completely realistic.

More realistically, I've always wanted Paper Mario to be a character, along with a stage that takes place in the Paper Mario world. That would be really cool if only because of how outrageous it would be to see Paper Mario racing alongside normal Mario characters, or normal Mario characters racing in the Paper Mario world. The major references Color Splash made to Mario Kart only made me want it to happen even more, and went a long way towards fueling my hopes for it.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I can't wait to get super mario run in a couple of days. I've had to wait way to long since I have an android DX

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Since there isn't much going on in this thread right now, I'd like to start a discussion that will hopefully get this going again. In the long history of the Mario Bros. franchise, what do you guys think is Bowser's greatest military disaster? For everyone who answers, please give the reasons why you think such and such a game is Bowser's greatest military disaster since the answers will be based solely on opinion and people may have a different view on what constitutes a military disaster for Bowser.