• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

why evolve

col_serra

<------ is hot!
am i the only one who does like to evolve all of the pokemon i hate rhyphier but love ryhorn and pichu

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
I like evolving some pokemon while others I like to leave in their original form. Reason for liking to evolve: it increases the movepools and makes learning better moves quicker and easier. Reason for not evolving: I like some of the pokemon like Pichu in their original form and don't want to evolve them

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
i have to say that i love to evolve some pokemon(specially third staged ones)...but i Shall never evolve my pikachu nor my clampearl(they are just awesome at battles and at design.)

Kai678

Umbreon Trainer
For the most part, I evolve my pokemon because it allows them to learn different moves it could not before and generally increases its overall stats. Though some pokemon like Pikachu, I don't evolve.

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
I always evolve them. (Unless they're Vigoroth, and that may change soon.)

I've never been much for cutsiness, and evolved Pokemon battle better. Simple as that.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat
Evolved Pokemon look better and are better.

Logester

Gold Johto Trainer
Reason to evolve: Better stats, usually more moves, tougher looking.
Reasons not to evolve: Cuter, custom team, more challenging, learn moves sooner.

Grei

not the color
Some Pokemon, like Monferno and Ivysaur, look a lot better than their fully evolved forms, such as Infernape and Venusaur. So I wouldn't evolve those Pokemon.

On the other hand, Togetic is really ugly, as is Cherubi and Croconaw. So I'd evolve those ones.

It's a matter of aesthetic preference.

Zonn13

87% Indubitable.
I evolve 99% of my Pokemon. However, there are a few that I want to keep as is.

I don't really want to evolve Riolu, because Lucario is so hyped. And usually don't evolve my Scythers, because they're good for False Swipage.

randomspot555

Some unevolved Pokemon have advantages over their fully evolved counter parts.

Many learn moves at a lower level than they do at their 2nd/3rd evolution. Doing this may also cause you to miss out on learning moves. Starly learns Brave Bird at level 37, but then it misses out on learning Close Combat via level-up because Staraptor learns that at level 34.

Many pick up a second typing upon evolution, though this usually doesn't make them better than their fully evolved counterpart. One of the exceptions is Cyther, who is Flying/Bug, compared to Scizor, who is Bug/Steel.

Using Scyther/Scizor again, Scyther is much faster whereas Scizor has better defenses.

Magmar and Electabuzz are also faster than their 4th gen evolutions.

Pikachu also has the use of a Light Ball

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I always evolved my Pokes. Never tried halting evolution. Maybe I should start, just to get pre-evo moves...

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
They should expand Light Ball to Raichu so Pikachu would have even less reason to be used.

Xerudic

Pokemon addict [:
Most people evolve for the 'power'
But most of the time I level un-eveolved forms for fun, just to see how strong they can get.

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
I was hesitant to evolve Phanpy cuz it's so adorable but it just seemed right to. I never evolve Tangela. Tangrowth is disgusting.

Alpha Gamer

Strength & Strategy
I like to evolve most of my pokemon because I feel like that will help them reach their full potential and un-evolved pokemon are not at their full potential. I'm also more into a pokemon's cool factor more so than their cute factor and most fully evolved pokemon look cooler. I also keep at least one pokemon from each evolution stage such as Abra-Kadabra-Alakazam etc. So I do have some un-evolved pokemon but I usually don't use them in battle.

Totokip

Black Triangle
i trained a toechic to learn flamethrower hten i evolved it and went to the move rememberer guy.i got that flamethrower blaziken with sky uppercut blaze kick and bulk upo to assist flamethrower in my platinum,flamethrower good idea since her nature ups special!!!

The Tail

I evolve my pokemon only if I want to,
some pokemon I like to keep unevolved, like Glameow, Chinchou, Ratttata. and such.
Sometimes I like the pre evolution more (i.e Glameow) or I just don't wanna evolve them.