• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Pathfinder

No Angel
Ask a question about Competitive Pokémon here; be it what Pokemon would fit well on the last slot of my team, what is the best way to counter Kommo-o, what is the most effective EV spread for my Alolan Raichu, etc. If you have an actual set for a Pokemon that you want feedback on, use the Competitive Singles Rate Thread once it's up. Don't flame/insult someone if you think it is a silly question. Have fun and ask away!

shadowF

When will the OU tier list be released in Pokemon Sun and Moon?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
When will the OU tier list be released in Pokemon Sun and Moon?

Probably in a couple months. Gotta let the new toy syndrome wear out before we can actually see what's getting used.

BlazingRagnarok

Does anyone have a good doubles EV spread/moveset for Tapu Koko? I'm trying to build an electric terrain team, and I can't decide whether to go for physical, special, mixed, dual screens, or parafusion. Partners will either be Vikavolt with iron ball and trick room support or Xurkitree with tailwind support.

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Not exactly a competitive question but I don't know where else to ask. Since they kinda forced the Tapu Koko encounter on you with no chance to save beforehand, and I had no way to induce status on it to catch it, I had to run away. Can I still SR for a good nature on the second encounter or will its nature be fixed now?

EDIT:
It's nature isn't fixed until it's caught. I KO'd it during the first encounter, and SR'd the second until I got my naïve one.

Okay cool, thanks!

Last edited:

BlazingRagnarok

Not exactly a competitive question but I don't know where else to ask. Since they kinda forced the Tapu Koko encounter on you with no chance to save beforehand, and I had no way to induce status on it to catch it, I had to run away. Can I still SR for a good nature on the second encounter or will its nature be fixed now?
It's nature isn't fixed until it's caught. I KO'd it during the first encounter, and SR'd the second until I got my naïve one.

shadowF

So I want to use the Litten that I start in my journey with for competitive battling. What nature will it be best to SR for? (note that it will be with its blaze ability).

KillerDraco

So I want to use the Litten that I start in my journey with for competitive battling. What nature will it be best to SR for? (note that it will be with its blaze ability).

Adamant.

Also worth noting is that the Gen 7 starters' HA's are not available at this time, so you've got no choice but for it to have Blaze.

shadowF

Adamant.

Also worth noting is that the Gen 7 starters' HA's are not available at this time, so you've got no choice but for it to have Blaze.

Sweet! Do you know what moveset would be best for Incineroar plus the item it will hold as well?

Lugiafan49

Just a General question about EV training? What do you do if you face a pokemon you know gives an EP that you do not want?
An example would be purely hypothetical you want to train attack but encounter a Blissey. do you just run or do you need to use Pomeg berries to reset the unwanted EV?
Just want to be sure

KillerDraco

Sweet! Do you know what moveset would be best for Incineroar plus the item it will hold as well?

Flare Blitz / Darkest Lariat / Cross Chop / U-Turn with Choice Band or Life Orb to make it a wallbreaker.

Just a General question about EV training? What do you do if you face a pokemon you know gives an EP that you do not want?
An example would be purely hypothetical you want to train attack but encounter a Blissey. do you just run or do you need to use Pomeg berries to reset the unwanted EV?
Just want to be sure

In general, you don't really EV train competitively viable Pokemon in your initial playthrough of the game, since you have limited access to specific resources needed to EV train (Power items, fewer Pokemon available, etc.)

Once you're done with the main game and focusing specifically on EV training, then you run from anything that doesn't give you the EVs you want.

BlazingRagnarok

In general, you don't really EV train competitively viable Pokemon in your initial playthrough of the game, since you have limited access to specific resources needed to EV train (Power items, fewer Pokemon available, etc.)

Once you're done with the main game and focusing specifically on EV training, then you run from anything that doesn't give you the EVs you want.

I think he's talking about using SOS when another species of pokemon appears, in which case running is the only option to avoid extra EVs. Alternately, he could allow whatever he's trying to train be KO'd. I remember training for defense in HG in an area with lots of Gravelers accompanied by mean look-using Golbats, so I had to allow a few knockouts to avoid speed EVs.

Novembre

What is the better for EV if I want my Pokémon take hits less hard: max HP or max Defense/Special Defense? For exemple, I want to use Mimikyu. As it has a decent Special Defense (105 BS), I thought to max its Special Defense, but I saw like two or three videos where people tell to max its HP. But its HP are bad (55 BS) so I'm pretty confused about that.

BlazingRagnarok

What is the better for EV if I want my Pokémon take hits less hard: max HP or max Defense/Special Defense? For exemple, I want to use Mimikyu. As it has a decent Special Defense (105 BS), I thought to max its Special Defense, but I saw like two or three videos where people tell to max its HP. But its HP are bad (55 BS) so I'm pretty confused about that.

The thing to remember about EPs is that they provide a flat stat boost, which gives a more pronounced effect on lower stats. As a result, defensive pokemon with low HP and high def/sp. def benefit much more from training in HP. Mimikyu without HP investment has 130 HP at level 50, but it has 162 HP with full investment. Thar's almost 25% more bulk. Of course, the question of whether you want to make a defensive pokemon out of something so frail another issue entirely. 55/80/105 isn't that great even with investment.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Okay so what's the opinion on using Z Crystals competitively right now?

Looking at the Z Moves (which have the power of Hyper Beams without the negative effects) and Z Statuses (which seem like they can be used to set up things that couldn't be done before), they seem like they would be a very useful tool to competitive players, but I'm not really seeing people talk about them.

Also, can anyone confirm for me (who is currently busy catching legendary pokemon) if, after the Z attack/status is used if the Z Crystal is "removed" from the pokemon, allowing for the item to be switched, Acrobatics to be powered up, etc etc.

KillerDraco

Okay so what's the opinion on using Z Crystals competitively right now?

Looking at the Z Moves (which have the power of Hyper Beams without the negative effects) and Z Statuses (which seem like they can be used to set up things that couldn't be done before), they seem like they would be a very useful tool to competitive players, but I'm not really seeing people talk about them.

Also, can anyone confirm for me (who is currently busy catching legendary pokemon) if, after the Z attack/status is used if the Z Crystal is "removed" from the pokemon, allowing for the item to be switched, Acrobatics to be powered up, etc etc.

Z-Statuses (most notably Z-Conversion) seem to be the more viable Z-moves, while attacking Z-moves are less so. The problem with attacking Z-moves is getting enough bang for your buck considering you can only use them once per battle. I mean, most of them are comparable in power to V-create, so it's not so overwhelmingly powerful that it's necessarily going to decide a game outright.

Also Z-Crystals are like Mega Stones in that they can't be knocked off, tricked, etc.

BlazingRagnarok

The problem that Z attacking moves share with certain mega evolutions is that they often compete for a slot with life orb or choice items and lose out on firepower. While megas have extra bulk and speed alongside new abilities to add to their appeal, Z attacking moves have almost nothing when they lose out in a firepower contest.

Fawoosh

Has anyone tested Belch in Sun and Moon? the new secondary effect states that it consumes a berry. Does that mean using the move eats the berry now, and then does the attack? Or does it work like XY still where you have to have previously eaten the berry sometime in the battle.