• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolution Changes

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Now, some of you may have noticed that when some Pokemon evolve, there are a few strange, unexpected or major changes which affect the evolved Pokemon. Apart from obvious things such as increase in stats, there are some Pokemon who take on completely different types or swap one of their preexisting types for a new one; while others even lose points in certain stats when they evolve.

Several of these are fairly obvious, such as Charmeleon attaining a Flying typing on becoming a Charizard, thanks to the latters dragon-esque characteristics.
However, there are others like Scizor, who loses speed when it evolves from the fast Scyther (although Scizor is still insanely fast in the Anime). I guess this could be explained by the fact that all that steel covering which Scizor received is a tad too weighty for him to remain as fast and so he's gotta slow down a bit in exchange for the defense that his "armour" provides.
Then, there are others like Skorupi who loses his Bug typing for a Dark one when he evolves into Drapion. I can only guess that Drapion's more dark than he's bug.

So, what other changes in stats, typings or general characteristics (like Nincada to Shedinja) have you noticed and how do you explain them?

In the anime, turtwig is faster than grotle and torterra, although they have a higher speed stat, although that's explained as them being to bulky to move fast

Yaezakura

Asian Lesbian Gamer
Many Pokemon who used to be "fully evolved" and later gained evolutions lose a stat in exchange for other stats beefing up. Along with Scizor, Magnezone is another good example--it is slower than Magneton, but better in every other stat.

One I find weird is how much smaller Bellossom is compared to Gloom. Also, how Grimer and Muk weigh the same, despite Muk being significantly larger.

lucky_u

Well, for Shedninja, it's shell of Nincada, so obviously it had to be ghost.

I wonder why Lucario is fighting/steel type? That did not make any sense.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Well, for Shedninja, it's shell of Nincada, so obviously it had to be ghost.

I wonder why Lucario is fighting/steel type? That did not make any sense.

Well, I guess, Lucario had to be Fighting since he controlled Aura to fight as well and the only thing for his steel-typing is that his body does look like its a metal of some kind. Even his hands look steel-ish and those things jutting out from his paws too - or wait, is that bone?

PokeShinyHuntJack

Back....Again
Yeah about that remoraid octillery thing, that is really odd. Also how a magikarp (sloppy fish) can turn into a dragon type, same as feebass, flaafy in ampharos? I dont get these at all.

Tyrant Tar

Remoraid is loosely based on a revolver (and those Gunfish from Pulseman), while Octillery has some aspects of a wheeled cannon, so there are some parallels.

Clampearl has a weird evolution, too. Opposite of Remoraid as it goes from mollusk to fish. Unless the "pearl" is actually a fish living in a clamshell (incidentally, Gorebyss keeps the pink color and shells).

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Yeah, Magikarp to Gyarados and Feebas to Milotic is incredibly strange. I can only guess that it's GameFreak mocking us - imagine some random player who's playing Pokemon for the first time and gets one of those two and soon enough, releases them seeing how worthless they are, not knowing their awesome evos.
And Clamperl's odd too, especially because it gets two evolutions and both are quite different. Huntail reminds me of one of those things which live in deep-sea trenches and have been there since the time of the dinosaurs, while Gorebyys is more of a ... well a fish.

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
Yaezakura said:
Many Pokemon who used to be "fully evolved" and later gained evolutions lose a stat in exchange for other stats beefing up. Along with Scizor, Magnezone is another good example--it is slower than Magneton, but better in every other stat.

One I find weird is how much smaller Bellossom is compared to Gloom. Also, how Grimer and Muk weigh the same, despite Muk being significantly larger.
I suppose the grimer/muk thing is because grimer is more dense then muk, so that would have to mean that grimer is more solid than muk. This can explain why grimer has better defense than muk.

MrPostman

Viceroy
Yeah, Magikarp to Gyarados and Feebas to Milotic is incredibly strange. I can only guess that it's GameFreak mocking us - imagine some random player who's playing Pokemon for the first time and gets one of those two and soon enough, releases them seeing how worthless they are, not knowing their awesome evos.
And Clamperl's odd too, especially because it gets two evolutions and both are quite different. Huntail reminds me of one of those things which live in deep-sea trenches and have been there since the time of the dinosaurs, while Gorebyys is more of a ... well a fish.

Bulbapedia said:
Origin
It appears to be based on a sea dragon or sea serpent. Gyarados is partially based on a legend about how carp that leapt over the Dragon Gate would become dragons. Several waterfalls and cataracts in China are believed to be the location of the Dragon Gate. This legend is an allegory of the drive and efforts needed to overcome obstacles (which can be tied to the fact that Gyarados' pre-evolution, Magikarp, could possibly take a lot of drive and effort to legitimately evolve into Gyarados).
10 char limit

Indragon

Back in the USSR
@MrPostman: Oh, so that's how Magikarp become huge sea serpents eh? At least it makes some sense now. Now for Feebas, all I know is that those Pokeblocks have VERY magnified effects on it.

Sonic527

Speed fanatic
I always felt Trapinch's evolution cycle made absolutley no sense....

Orange trap jaw thing evolves into green fly like creature with no mouth....

Silverline

Frontier Outcast
Along with the Carp jumping over the waterfall story, there's also the tale in Myth (Forget if it's Japanese or Chinese, though) about a Seahorse becoming a Dragon, which would explain Kingdra's typing.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Politoed looks nothing like Poliwhirl.

We got a lot of that in Gen II.

e.g. Crobat looks little like Golbat, and Bellossom looks nothing like Gloom.

Josiah

is your favorite
Along with the Carp jumping over the waterfall story, there's also the tale in Myth (Forget if it's Japanese or Chinese, though) about a Seahorse becoming a Dragon, which would explain Kingdra's typing.
Look up seadragon. I'm pretty sure that's the explanation for its typing.