• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GALAR REGION Discussion & Speculation Thread

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I hope Galar isn’t like Kalos considering that would make it forgettable compared to Sinnoh, Unova, and Alola imo. Let it stand out!

(I will say that Kalos’ map at least isn’t a clusterfuck unlike whatever the hell I’m looking at Galar. I don’t want to have things be super clear but the locations just feel so unorganized.)

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I hope Galar isn’t like Kalos considering that would make it forgettable compared to Sinnoh, Unova, and Alola imo. Let it stand out!

(I will say that Kalos’ map at least isn’t a clusterfuck unlike whatever the hell I’m looking at Galar. I don’t want to have things be super clear but the locations just feel so unorganized.)
It's obviously not going to be like Kalos. Britain and France have completely different cultures.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I hope the region feels more spaced out than Kalos did. Once you beat Ramos, it seemed like a quick journey to gym 7
Though how terrible Team Flare was could factor into that, they barely did anything unlike Plasma, Rocket, Magma/Aqua, Galactic, and Skull. They helped make the regions feel bigger and take longer to advance. Kalos felt too quick and too easy, which is why I'm glad Ultra SM was more difficult

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Kalos was indeed a beautiful region. Galar feels different, has a dark vibe to it. I can’t explain..

I like that each region is unique, I don’t like similarities between regions.

I know what you mean. I’m super excited to see the clash of innovation and nature.

I hope the region feels more spaced out than Kalos did. Once you beat Ramos, it seemed like a quick journey to gym 7
Though how terrible Team Flare was could factor into that, they barely did anything unlike Plasma, Rocket, Magma/Aqua, Galactic, and Skull. They helped make the regions feel bigger and take longer to advance. Kalos felt too quick and too easy, which is why I'm glad Ultra SM was more difficult

Yeah, good news is it looks like that’ll be the case for Galar. Especially since the map isn’t 1:1

Shingamon

The flying flame
Honestly, I just want there to be a reference to Shrewsbury in there. Shrewsbury is where Charles Darwin is from and also really close to where the first iron bridge was made. if they referenced the start of researching pokemon evolution or something in one of the towns or even say that 'this is where Professor Oak is from' or something... I just say this because I'm from there and I demand representation...

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
One thing I notice is that all three of the metropolitan areas seem to have walls of some kind. Even the northernmost city (the most "sci-fi" of them all) has fairly medieval looking walls around the entrance. Between this and the names, I suspect it will feature a lot of Medieval to early Renaissance European themes. I can understand where people are getting the idea of industrialism vs ruralism from because both elements are clearly present on the map, but they don't necessarily seem to be at odds with one another. I think a much more interesting conflict to explore, and one that would tie nicely both in to the early European theme, would be tradition vs modernity.

I'm also interested to see what the villainous team looks like. We've already had the original Team Plasma with their ridiculous knight outfits and king and castle aesthetics, I think making another knight-themed team would be a bit stale, even if it fits this region far better than it fits Unova.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not only that, there was a massive pacing issue between the 1st and 2nd gyms in Kalos. The pacing in XY was horribly done in many ways.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
I think what excites me most about Galar is how tonally different it looks from Alola. From ORAS to USUM, we got three games set in more tropical/island regions. As we were getting close to the announcement, the aspect I was craving most was having an almost fully land region. I was impressed by how they gave us such a varied set of environments in Alola, but I'll be excited to see (hopefully) larger mountainous and snowy areas for the first time in a while. Not including Let's Go, Kalos was the last time that there wasn't a noticeable amount of water travel between areas. Even if the trains are used to separate places, it'll be nice to take a break from boats.

derekrandall

I’ve been wondering if we will have any access to any of the ocean/beaches on either side of the region. I always gravitate towards water pokemon, always loved them. It kind of worries me that on the map there is only a few small bodies of water, not much hope to find some water cuties anywhere :(

Orphalesion

I’ve been wondering if we will have any access to any of the ocean/beaches on either side of the region. I always gravitate towards water pokemon, always loved them. It kind of worries me that on the map there is only a few small bodies of water, not much hope to find some water cuties anywhere :(

There's a boat in that port city and what looks like a semi-water based route in the snowy area.

Plus, there are those giant lakes, they don't seem like "small bodies of water" to me. (Look at the lakes, together they are almost city sized)

There's also some beaches which we might be able to access up and down the western coast.

The only thing we might not have is a completely water based route, and iirc there wasn't one in Alola either (we crossed all the water by boat and were only allowed to splash about in fairly small areas right at the beaches.) and Kalos only had an optional one if I'm not mistaken.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I can’t see how that purple building in the bottom is supposed to be some gym. If anything it looks like another Pokemon school in the same way as the ones from Aspertia City and Alola.

Hell, they might just have us start our new whatever-quest after we visit the city with the clock tower which would suck if it’s true.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I know I said this several times already, but I REALLY hope we don't have to wear this succer clothes in the GYMS lolll

Anyway, Galar seems seems very interesting so far
I think different gyms will be diff sports, or strategies.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm just glad we're getting a large land to explore, Ash can finally go on an adventure although I dunno how they're going to make the gyms a big deal for him when he's already been through these big events with the leagues. Oh well, maybe it'll be funny.

Anyways, wonder what the deal is with the forest next to our house. Maybe it'll be like with Mesprit and we go there early then come back later.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Well it's May soon.. is there any Pokemon/Nintendo event going on in May, which can bring some news?