• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew! (M08)

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Every time I watch those white blood cells take Ash and gang, I'll get this feeling inside and my eyes begin to water. Those were some emotions scenes for me. I love the "We will meet again" music as it sounds awesome.

Chloe Cassandra

Long time no see.
This movie is what started it all for me. I first saw this movie at my cousin's house and they were watching it, and the part where Regirock attacks Kidd's truck was on. After I saw the rest of the movie as well as Lucario, it motivated me to watch other Pokémon movies and episodes and Lucario just became my favorite Pokémon of all time. (9 years and proud! :D)

When I first saw this movie, I was certain Lucario would have been a Psychic type due to its eye shape and the fact it was telepathic. At first I thought it was a legendary due to the way it talked and I was wondering, "how could someone own a legendary?" I then found out a few months later that I read that Lucario was not a legendary, rather a secondary form of a Pokémon called Riolu as well as a Fighting/Steel type.

As I look back on it, I wish Riolu was in this movie as well so both Lucario and Riolu could get promos before Sinnoh like how Zorua and Zoroark got promos before Unova from Master of Illusions.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
So I only managed to fully watch this movie yesterday. It was OK I guess, not fantastic, but not bad.

The character interactions and the emotion was the movie's strongest points. It really tried to make you care for what's happening to the characters. But the lack of things happening really put this movie back for me. Mew really didn't do all that much either despite it's name being in the title, it was just being a really playful mischief maker for the most part (I can't really call it a villain either, didn't do evil things), and only really did something important near the end.

A surprising thing about this this movie is that it is the second movie to feature the permanent death of a Pokémon, the first being Latios from Heroes. It always shocks me when this show has the guts to do something like that, since a lot of characters are revived most of the time.

JudySpell

Banned
Good movie if only because we got to see an enemy that wasn't a Pokemon or human (those white blood cell tree things) and Kid Summers was awesome. 7/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I loved Sir Aaron's design and I felt sad when Lucario died at the end. Kidd and her Weaviles were fun and watching those red gooey things eat everyone was intense. I kind of wanted Mew to do more, but at least we saw the Regi trio here.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
This movie made me like Regirock & co so much more. I don't know why, but they seemed so blah in the games and then I saw this movie and I realized that they were pretty cool.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
This movie made me like Regirock & co so much more. I don't know why, but they seemed so blah in the games and then I saw this movie and I realized that they were pretty cool.

I liked the sound effects of Regice, Regirock and Registeel in this film cuz they sounded unique. Like for instance Regice's voice sounded electronic while Regirock's sounded almost like dubstep mixed with beat boxing, which was cool. :3

ZilverLox

Banned
The most symbolic moment of this movie was Ash's "Lucario isn't gone. Its aura is with me!" line, which gave me goosebumps and foreshadowed Ash's aura powers later. Although, one annoying thing in this movie was that they kept calling Lucario an "it." He was a he, although a very gruff one. I rate this movie nine out of ten.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It was never quite explained why Ash and Sir Aaron had such similar auras, was it? Best I can come up with is that Ash is Sir Aaron's reincarnation

Just saying, this is a good movie and all, but I can't stop thinking about one thing concerning it.

They wanted a Lucario to be the main focus of the movie, and have a trainer wearing clothes mimicking a Lucario's appearance, who owns and cares for a Lucario, and who uses aura... so why did they have Sir Aaron instead of a character already in the games who fitted every one of those categories, aka Riley? It always confused me why Riley got shoehorned into two episodes of the anime when a) he has f**king aura like is that not a thing we can spend more than two episodes on? And b) there is a movie dedicated to Aura and Lucario, yet he is nowhere to be seen.

It could simply be that Riley hadn't been invented at the time, and was only invented later to reference the anime, but it still bugs me a bit. I mean, Ash-Greninja was talked about with Game Freak, so would they have talked about this? Maybe Riley already was invented but they really wanted the movie to be what we actually got. Idk, it's a good movie, but that's just a small problem I have that might even have potential bias in it.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Just saying, this is a good movie and all, but I can't stop thinking about one thing concerning it.

They wanted a Lucario to be the main focus of the movie, and have a trainer wearing clothes mimicking a Lucario's appearance, who owns and cares for a Lucario, and who uses aura... so why did they have Sir Aaron instead of a character already in the games who fitted every one of those categories, aka Riley? It always confused me why Riley got shoehorned into two episodes of the anime when a) he has f**king aura like is that not a thing we can spend more than two episodes on? And b) there is a movie dedicated to Aura and Lucario, yet he is nowhere to be seen.

It could simply be that Riley hadn't been invented at the time, and was only invented later to reference the anime, but it still bugs me a bit. I mean, Ash-Greninja was talked about with Game Freak, so would they have talked about this? Maybe Riley already was invented but they really wanted the movie to be what we actually got. Idk, it's a good movie, but that's just a small problem I have that might even have potential bias in it.

It's entirely possible Game Freak was already designing Riley during the Hoenn season, and the anime writers got to hear from them about Riley, but they decided to make an expy in Sir Aaron by copying the overall design but not having them both be related. Think of it as how they used Alexa to promote Gen 6.

Strangely enough, the name "Aaron" was used in Gen 4 by an Elite Four not related to this.

It's entirely possible Game Freak was already designing Riley during the Hoenn season, and the anime writers got to hear from them about Riley, but they decided to make an expy in Sir Aaron by copying the overall design but not having them both be related. Think of it as how they used Alexa to promote Gen 6.

Strangely enough, the name "Aaron" was used in Gen 4 by an Elite Four not related to this.

Well, you never know with this anime... tbh that was probably the reason.

Also, one small other problem I had with the film overall was (prepares shield) that Ash could use aura. It may sound stupid at first, but just bear with me a bit. Aura is shown to only be usable by very few people. That fact alone is completely true. But that fact caused me to think that Ash getting it was definitely going to be the outcome, and I was right. The point I'm trying to make is that Ash felt a bit like a "Black Hole Sue" when it came to aura - the fact that he had it and was the main protag took the spotlight away from the two other main humans who can use aura - Sir Aaron and Riley. Giving a special and rare power to other characters before giving it to the main protag kinda takes it away from the other characters - especially if they appear considerably less than the main protag. Take Riley for instance. He's shown to be the only other known human alive to be able to use aura, and the current only known person trying to become an aura guardian. That fact is pretty awesome, but it gets some of its hype taken away by the fact that Ash is also perfectly capable of using it, seeing as he is the main protagonist that a good amount of people care for, while Riley is that one kinda cool dude who appeared in two episodes. Also, Ash's aura may be referenced again in the DP anime, but then where the f**k did it go in later seasons? Maybe the Team Flare arc wouldn't have been as exciting if Ash had simply made a barrier to stop the giant rock thing, or if Ash had used aura to sense where Chespie was, but it still doesn't mean that he should've somehow completely forgotten that aura exists. Call me a nitpicker, but I just got a small bit annoyed.

Nebbygetinthebag

This movie was great it was the first Pokemon movie I saw when I was 7.
Firstly the story was good and Lucario was amazing in that movie I love his English voice and I like Sir Arron design he looks so cool and Kidd with the weavile are fun to watch Also this movie make me like the Regi trio there were pretty cool in that movie Also those red thing that ate everyone was intense.Mew was so cute through I wish Mew do more in that movie.
I felt really sad when Lucario died that scene was really emotional and the animation was beautiful and the voice acting in English was great especially the Regi Trio.The character interaction and The emotion in that movie was good.
Overall this is my favorite movie it was great through I wish it explains why Ash and Sir Aaron has the same Auras. I give it a 10/10.

Last edited:

zdbz_sn

On paper, the opening of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew resembles many other pokefilms: a lengthy prologue devoted to what are essentially the guest stars of the movie with a late entry to the story by Ash and friends. In most of the films, this sort of opening illustrates in miniature a major fault in said films’ plots: the guest stars are the de facto protagonists, the ones that command and drive the plot and serve as the emotional core of the story. Ash stumbles into the thick of it, tags along for the ride, and more often than not, ends up playing hero in an unsatisfying and unearned story turn.

One of the best things about Lucario is the way it dodges this problem. Having Pikachu go missing gives Ash a story line, which is already more than most of these films bother with. But on top of that, giving Ash and Sir Aaron similar designs, implying Ash to be something of a spiritual successor to Sir Aaron via their Auras, and offering Lucario up as an additional connection between them, all serve to make Ash’s role in the finale a well-deserved one, and enriches his part in a way no other film really attempted. The parallels between Ash and Sir Aaron and the implied theme of friendships and conflicts echoing across time make up one of my favorite things about this film, and about the pokefilms as a whole. If you take the matter of Ash’s role in these movies in isolation, I’d say Lucario is the crown champion, and along with Revelation Lugia, it’s the only time I felt that Ash really grew as a character beyond just experiencing another adventure. It's a crying shame the show never followed up on anything done with Ash here.

Both of the titular Pokemon in this film shine as well. Mew is absolutely adorable, and is even more endearing here than in Mewtwo Strikes Back. Not only is she cute - with just one scene, the film does a great job at suggesting the loneliness behind all her jolly cavorting, giving her more depth than quite a few of the “cute” Pokemon that populate the films. And Lucario is second only to Mewtwo when it comes to a film-featured Pokemon with a clear personality, fleshed out backstory, and compelling role in the plot.

On top of that, the film’s high fantasy setting and subject matter have immense appeal for me, and lend the film an expansive scale rarely matched. The art direction is fantastic, with the color work standing out in particular. All the hues are bright, clear, and clean in this movie. It’s a delight to look at.

There are flaws here. I don’t think Kidd is an especially interesting CotD, and her design is just…weird. The dance sequence is painfully slow. The most frustrating issue is the lack of emotions shown by the humans during the climax. This is a film where, for a moment at least, the entire human population of the main cast dies. As they go down one by one, however, Ash and Pikachu (and Kidd) have hardly any reaction. I realize that they’re running for their lives at the time they get the news, but - come on!

On the flip side, the film resists the urge to pull a Revive out of its *** and actually lets Lucario stay dead. It’s a well-executed and heartfelt death too. Ash’s final line is one of the most poignant moments in these films, and ending the film on that line makes this the only one of these movies to close on a bittersweet note.

Easily my second-favorite.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't mind this movie, but despite its gorgeous animation, it seemed lacking in terms of peril. The subplot about the tree fighting back against Kid Summer's gadgets wasn't quite intense enough for my tastes, and Mew was almost entirely shoved to the side in spite of how important the title of the movie made Mew seem. Lucario's storyarc was the saving grace, however.