• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's with this

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
They made sure she NEVER lost after all

Lol her one loss wasn't even real Serena, it was Mirror Serena in the Reflection Cave episode. Ugh

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I wish Mirror Serena was the female lead instead of regular Serena. It seemed like she would be alot more active since she was the strongest battler of the mirror group.

DatsRight

I would have been fine with Serena's current level of battle activity if they had just handled it more fully execution wise. There were a decent number of battles, they were all just unmemorable because they were curb stomps or plot armour climaxes. They should have just let her finish her battles win or lose or even just gave her some more challenging Team Rocket face offs like Ash and Clemont had at the start of the series (which would have also likely made the TRio far less monotonous and pointless).

There should have been more points she was challenged and forced to demonstrate her full potential besides that two minute battle with Ash at the very end of the series. Seriously why did they wait until then to cut the cord? It was like cruel trolling.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Perhaps they did originally plan on giving Serena more chances to improve her battling skills, but were simply pressed for time given that they had to show her competing in TryPokarons.

Thinking back however, I wonder if Serena was doomed from the start tho since Ash got like 95% of the attention and battles during XYZ any ways for example, so Serena's chances to battle were always limited. :[

DatsRight

In fairness though, even Clemont, with his similar inactivity, got a more palpable amount of good displays out of it. He got few official battles, but they were finished battles and Team Rocket fights that weren't just mindless curb stomps (hell even some that WERE curb stomps were through having better strategy rather than just spamming 'Dodge!' and the same attack like Serena always did). You could still tell he was a good battler even if it didn't frequently get demonstrated. Substance is the difference here.

Hell TEAM ROCKET themselves got more good battles than Serena within all their punching bag roles.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Thinking back however, I wonder if Serena was doomed from the start tho since Ash got like 95% of the attention and battles during XYZ any ways for example, so Serena's chances to battle were always limited. :[

Satoshi getting so much time in which to battle during XY&Z was understandable, but Serena hypothetically had opportunities during the first half of the XY storyline. She could have battled frequently while she was trying to find her goal if the writers had wanted her to. They simply didn't seem motivated.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
She could have battled frequently while she was trying to find her goal if the writers had wanted her to. They simply didn't seem motivated.

They weren't motivated cuz they had their hands full developing her Showcase goal. It's a shame how the writing staff never found the right balance of Showcases and battling for Serena tho. Serena vs Aria in disguise was the closest that they got.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
They weren't motivated cuz they had their hands full developing her Showcase goal. It's a shame how the writing staff never found the right balance of Showcases and battling for Serena tho. Serena vs Aria in disguise was the closest that they got.

I wish that battle had finished. I think it would have been acceptable for the Kalos Queen to lose a battle on screen..she's not the Champion after all

I wish that battle had finished. I think it would have been acceptable for the Kalos Queen to lose a battle on screen..she's not the Champion after all

Serena winning would have been horrible writing don't you think? Aria's team seemed stronger and she was more experienced from the look of things.

Spyro39

Serena winning would have been horrible writing don't you think? Aria's team seemed stronger and she was more experienced from the look of things.

Agreed. Serena's just a beginner, while Aria is far more experienced. It wouldn't make sense for Serena to take the title of Kalos Queen from Aria that quickly.

SinnohEevee

I agree. In fact, I'm holding out hope that a lack of a special so far means she'll appear in Alola!

I don't see her appearing.

There's this tweet from the sound director saying this is a new Ash.

Plus, this show resents romance.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
There's this tweet from the sound director saying this is a new Ash.

Dephender shot this down as a mistranslation. I don't know why people keep trying to pull this card.

It's mistranslated. You don't even seem to realize the sentences continue across tweets. He's talking about the feel of the characters and how they come across, not about "canon", which should be obvious enough considering the continuity references in episode 1.

Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Dephender shot this down as a mistranslation. I don't know why people keep trying to pull this card.

If anything XY Ash was a new Ash especially since there was very little continuity from any of the past series at all. SM fits into the main series continuity more especially since Ash has already mentioned his Tauros along with his mom and professor oak making appearances and cameos. Heck he even dropped his Kalos team in the first episode iirc

SinnohEevee

I have seen Japanese-speakers on other forums confirm it was really what the sound director said.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Agreed. Serena's just a beginner, while Aria is far more experienced. It wouldn't make sense for Serena to take the title of Kalos Queen from Aria that quickly.

LOL! You misunderstood. I didn't mean Kalos Queen. I meant the battle in XY64. If battling isn't Aria's goal either, it would have been ok for her to lose.

DatsRight

In fairness, the win still would have felt a bit cheap because Fennekin had evolved mid way through and just got a huge plot enforced power boost. And Serena's team were clearly getting their asses kicked up until then, with Serena not being able to improvise. It wouldn't have been a real display of Serena's battle competence, just her luck winning out again. The same thing happened when Eevee evolved, getting her *** creamed the moment it stopped being easy and the evolution boost doing everything. She didn't win, the Pokemon and their boost had.

I would rather she won a difficult battle without needing help in some way, I wanted to see her outsmart an opponent and resist a good offence. Vs Ash was her best display of strategy and obviously even then she couldn't have realistically won against Pikachu so they cut it short.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
In fairness, the win still would have felt a bit cheap because Fennekin had evolved mid way through and just got a huge plot enforced power boost. And Serena's team were clearly getting their asses kicked up until then, with Serena not being able to improvise. It wouldn't have been a real display of Serena's battle competence, just her luck winning out again. The same thing happened when Eevee evolved, getting her *** creamed the moment it stopped being easy and the evolution boost doing everything.

I would rather she won a difficult battle without needing help in some way, I wanted to see her outsmart an opponent and resist a good offence. Vs Ash was her best display of strategy and obviously she couldn't have realistically won against Pikachu so they cut it short.

I agree about her not beating Aria, and I think a called off battle was the best choice to happen.

Disagree about Eevee evolving since it was against Miette and James, and I highly doubt either are that great at battling especially James.

DatsRight

I agree about her not beating Aria, and I think a called off battle was the best choice to happen.

Disagree about Eevee evolving since it was against Miette and James, and I highly doubt either are that great at battling especially James.

They were still thrashing her (and even Ash's Pikachu) up until that moment however, pretty much any instant James started using a strategy for once, she was completely outdone. That was the annoying thing, they tried to sell her as getting stronger and more independent but she couldn't handle even the slightest challenge. Any time she couldn't win with just 'Dodge!' and the same attack a couple times, it was instantly 'stop the match! call in the cavalry!'. She was never allowed to be smart or struggle a little. Hell even just losing would have allowed her to look more fallible (poor James was the one who didn't want to send Inkay into a beating anyway).

Last edited:

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
In fairness, the win still would have felt a bit cheap because Fennekin had evolved mid way through and just got a huge plot enforced power boost. And Serena's team were clearly getting their asses kicked up until then, with Serena not being able to improvise. It wouldn't have been a real display of Serena's battle competence, just her luck winning out again. The same thing happened when Eevee evolved, getting her *** creamed the moment it stopped being easy and the evolution boost doing everything. She didn't win, the Pokemon and their boost had.

I would rather she won a difficult battle without needing help in some way, I wanted to see her outsmart an opponent and resist a good offence. Vs Ash was her best display of strategy and obviously even then she couldn't have realistically won against Pikachu so they cut it short.
She did improvise and use one strategy in the battle vs Aria, just so you know. I refer you back to my post at the beginning of this thread.