• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

armaldo or aggron??

• armaldo

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • aggron

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Thank you but no luck. Ive been trying forever to get the people in the Abandoned ship to rebattle me but nothing :/
I should also point out that due to the age of many GBA games, the internal battery is more than likey to be start failing at some point. Some times, the internal clock will start running slow, before failing. (If you set the clock to your local time, and it slowly drifts out over time.) In my copies of Emerald, where the batteries have failed, I don't get any Match call any more.

(There is a fix, which involves adding a new battery and possibly restarting the game.)

Of course this doesn't apply if you're playing via unoffical means.

MustardBubbles

I've started a new Emerald game and want to mix records with my older games. But I'm hesitant to do so because my older games contains ugly, neglected bases from other games that serve no purpose other than to take up space and limit my options to create new bases. I'm not too sure how the Secret Base system works in Gen. III, and all information I've tried looking up elsewhere only refers to ORAS unfortunately.
My question is; When mixing records with others, does it only transfer the "registered" bases from one game to another, or does it transfer every base regardless to whether or not they're regestered? And if a junk base is taking up a spot that you want, is there any way to get rid of it (regardless of if it's registered or not)?

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Does anyone know if Brendan and May have placeholder names as the player character in Emerald?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Does anyone know if Brendan and May have placeholder names as the player character in Emerald?
I don't think they had placeholder names but I definitely know that if the player attempts to not name the player character then the player is given some alternate choices to name their player.

Aquarelle

Staff member

I don't think they had placeholder names but I definitely know that if the player attempts to not name the player character then the player is given some alternate choices to name their player.

Yeah, I just tested on my Emerald what happens when you don't enter a name for your character. If you don't enter in a name, the game will suggest a name for you (with the option to re-enter a custom name if you want).

When I tested it on my game, it gave me "Teru" the first time for a boy, "Terry" the second time.
For the girl, it suggested "Lianna" the first time, then "Lucy".

The name the game suggests seems to be selected from the following "optional names" listed for Emerald here:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Brendan_(game)#Optional_names
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/May_(game)#Optional_names

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
That's not what I mean, though! Like, in FRLG, the female character's name is set as Leaf in internal data, and the rival's equivalent name is Terry! Yet the female character gives you a random name from a preprogrammed list if you don't enter a name, and for the rival, it selects the first name from the list it gives you! I'm looking for names that would be equivalent to Terry in FRLG!

EDIT: What are the default names, if any, in the Trainer data in Emerald? According to Bulbapedia, the names in question for FireRed and LeafGreen's female player and rival are Leaf and Terry respectively, so I'm wondering what the equivalents would be in Emerald for Brendan and/or May.

Last edited:

Dispo96

Haven't played a pokemon game in forever, so I decided to pick up Fire Red, is it my understanding that there's no way to get perfect EV/IV on your first run through? You'd need to find a pokemon later and level up their EV/IV properly after that? Hatching ect?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Haven't played a pokemon game in forever, so I decided to pick up Fire Red, is it my understanding that there's no way to get perfect EV/IV on your first run through? You'd need to find a pokemon later and level up their EV/IV properly after that? Hatching ect?
There's a chance you can get perfect IVs on any of your Pokémon in your playthrough of FireRed. IVs cannot be altered so there's no way to change them but EVs can be gained by defeating Pokémon and using Vitamins. There are some Berries that can decrease your Pokémon's IVs.

Dispo96

Sorry, I meant there's no way to get perfect EV's your first playthrough and if you wanted to be "competative" you would have to get new pokemon and train EV's properly?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Sorry, I meant there's no way to get perfect EV's your first playthrough and if you wanted to be "competative" you would have to get new pokemon and train EV's properly?
You can still max out EVs no matter how many times you play but you can't tell how many EVs they have. But there aren't any battle facilities like the Battle Tower in FRLG so there's not really much point trying to go for a competitive Pokémon there. But anyway competitive Pokémon tend to have specific EV and IV spreads and Nature that allows them to be used in battle to their best.

Houka

That's a lie, there is a Battle Tower in Leaf Green/Fire Red though I'm not sure if the prizes are worth much. And yes ya can EV train though I would recommend later when you got better Pokemon to choose from.

Dispo96

That's a lie, there is a Battle Tower in Leaf Green/Fire Red though I'm not sure if the prizes are worth much. And yes ya can EV train though I would recommend later when you got better Pokemon to choose from.

So I guess what I'm not understanding, is if I don't plan to play for 100% top line pokemon;

A) Does it really matter.
B) How do I get perfect EV's while leveling the first time to beat Elite Four?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
There is a facility that is like a Battle Tower in FRLG but unlike one, items can be used in and between battles and Pokémon cannot be healed between battles. It's more like Trainer Hill in Emerald than the Battle Tower in RS and the Battle Frontier in Emerald.
So I guess what I'm not understanding, is if I don't plan to play for 100% top line pokemon;

A) Does it really matter.
B) How do I get perfect EV's while leveling the first time to beat Elite Four?
A) It doesn't really matter what EVs you give to your Pokémon and you can still beat the game without giving your Pokémon specific EV spreads.

B) To max out a specific EV, assuming you will most likely won't have the Macho Brace by then, it will be good to buy Vitamins for a stat you want to EV train. Vitamins increase a specific EV by 10 points until it reaches 100. But your Pokémon may have gained some EVs already at that point from battling Trainers and wild Pokémon and they may as well be over 100. Unfortunately you won't be able to get EV reducing Berries in the game if you don't have a GBA Wireless Adapter because these Berries are only available as prizes in the Dodrio Berry Picking game and you would already have to have beaten Blaine if you want to get to the Joyful Game Corner, which is at Two Island at the Sevii Islands. And you won't be able to trade with Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald until you beat the game. So if you don't have a GBA Wireless Adapter, before beating the game, it's impossible to reduce EVs in the game.

But it's still possible. Each species of Pokémon have a specific EV yield so this means if you defeat them your Pokémon that were in battle against that Pokémon will get a certain amount of EVs from that Pokémon so let's say if your Pikachu defeated a Pidgey your Pikachu will gain one EV point in Speed. And if you battle against Pidgey again with Pikachu and you switch into Charmander, if either Pikachu or Charmander defeat that Pidgey then both Pikachu and Charmander will gain 1 Speed EV. But Pokémon have a variety of EV yields there's a good amount of Pokémon to choose from. Pokémon tend to give out 1, 2 or 3 EVs in a specific stat.

EVs in FRLG cap at 255 for each stat so the maximum EVs you can have in a stat is 255. The total EV, which is the amount of EVs when you add your Pokémon's EVs together, caps at 510 and once your Pokémon has reached that total, it cannot gain any further EVs. So technically at most you can have two perfect EVs. But I advise you to train to 252 for the two EVs you want to max out and use the rest of the 6 EVs on some other random stat so no EVs get wasted.

You can keep on battling a specific species of Pokémon until you get to 252. More rarely, you may get the Pokérus on your Pokémon and it doubles the amount of EVs your Pokémon gain.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Unfortunately you won't be able to get EV reducing Berries in the game if you don't have a GBA Wireless Adapter because these Berries are only available as prizes in the Dodrio Berry Picking game and you would already have to have beaten Blaine if you want to get to the Joyful Game Corner, which is at Two Island at the Sevii Islands. And you won't be able to trade with Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald until you beat the game. So if you don't have a GBA Wireless Adapter, before beating the game, it's impossible to reduce EVs in the game.

It should be noted that the EV reducing berries - Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, & Tamato - did not gain their EV reducing effects until Emerald, i.e. after FRLG.

So even if you have a wireless adapter and can get the above berries in FireRed, you won't be able to erase unwanted EVs with them. You will have to trade your Pokemon over to Emerald* and use the berries there.

This means that if you don't have access to trading with Emerald, you have to be careful when EV training in FireRed and make sure you don't mess up.

*Trading with XD: Gale of Darkness might be an option as well, since that game came out after Emerald. I've never tried using EV reducing berries on that game, though, so I can't say for sure (and you might have to trade the EV reducing berries over to it, since I don't remember if they're naturally available in XD or not).

Houka

I dunno it seem to work the same as any other facility.

No not really, ya can beat the game with any Pokemon really, as lot as its well trained.

It kinda impossible to do EV training at the stat with on the few Pokemon ya get, I think ya get Speed, Defense, and Attack, but nothing Special base. Then ya get your Rival that forced unwanted EV on ya. It's batter to breed for it later in the game.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Trainer Hill and Trainer Tower in their respective games are about trying to reach the top within the shortest time.

Special (both Attack and Defense) EV training is the hardest to access but fortunately you're playing FireRed so Special Attack EV training will be easier to access thanks to Oddish being exclusive to your game. As soon as you reach Route 24, which is north of Cerulean City, you can start EV training for Sp Attack by defeating Oddish there. You can start EV training Sp Defense by defeating Drowzee as soon as you reach Route 11, which is east of Vermillion City, because Drowzee is common there. Speed is the easiest because at Route 1, both Rattata and Pidgey give out 1 Speed EV each after they are defeated.

And to note about breeding, which is done in the Day-Care Center at Four Island, it is inaccessible until you obtain the Rainbow Pass, which lets you travel to Four Island, Five Island, Six Island and Seven Island and you have to get the Ruby from B5F Mt. Ember and show it to Celio at the Pokémon Communication Center in order to obtain the Rainbow Pass. The National Dex must be obtained beforehand. So by then you must have obtained at least 60 Pokémon in the Kanto Dex, rescued Lostelle in the Berry Forest and most importantly you would have to have beaten the game, hence you would have beaten the Elite Four once you get to breed. Then go to Professor Oak and he will upgrade yours and Blue's Pokédex.

Mudkip97

I just bought on Ebay a Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc to get a Jirachi in Gen 3. Upon doing research I was wondering about a few things about the Japanese Bonus Disc:

1-I heard that you must also have a Japanese copy of Colosseum as well. Are GC games on the Wii region locked? If yes can I mod my Wii to remove the region lock?

2-I heard that the disc can be used once on a Colosseum save and then 48 times on GBA games to get Celebi. Is the Disc not usable after it's been used that much? Or can the Bonus Disc be reused on different save files?

3-Can a Japanese version of Colosseum trade with a North American GBA Pokemon game?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I just bought on Ebay a Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc to get a Jirachi in Gen 3. Upon doing research I was wondering about a few things about the Japanese Bonus Disc:

1-I heard that you must also have a Japanese copy of Colosseum as well. Are GC games on the Wii region locked? If yes can I mod my Wii to remove the region lock?

2-I heard that the disc can be used once on a Colosseum save and then 48 times on GBA games to get Celebi. Is the Disc not usable after it's been used that much? Or can the Bonus Disc be reused on different save files?

3-Can a Japanese version of Colosseum trade with a North American GBA Pokemon game?
1. Yes, The games are indeed region locked. As for Modifying a Wii or Gamecube to work? I've seen a few unofficial disks that claimed that you can play games outside of your region with it, and also can't go in to more details here due to forum rules.
2. & 3. Unknown, I don't own a Japanese Copy of Colosseum.

(I live in the UK, so I got the Channel Jirachi as the bonus disk wasn't released here, and Jirachi is on every copy of Pokémon Channel in Europe.)

Mudkip97

1. Yes, The games are indeed region locked. As for Modifying a Wii or Gamecube to work? I've seen a few unofficial disks that claimed that you can play games outside of your region with it, and also can't go in to more details here due to forum rules.
2. & 3. Unknown, I don't own a Japanese Copy of Colosseum.

(I live in the UK, so I got the Channel Jirachi as the bonus disk wasn't released here, and Jirachi is on every copy of Pokémon Channel in Europe.)

Thanks anyway
But I still hope someone can answer my second and third question

lanternaq

Hey guys, I am about to face the E4 in Emerald and this is my team. Criticism, suggestions and comments are more than welcome.

Swampert (Torrent) - Lv.49@ Mystic Water/Nevermeltice/Soft Sand
Surf
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Strength

Swellow (Guts) - Lv.47@ Silk Scarf
Fly
Return
Steel Wing
Aerial Ace

Gardevoir (Trace) - Lv.48@ Magnet
Psychic