• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

armaldo or aggron??

• armaldo

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • aggron

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Ask your questions about the 3rd generation games RSE and FRLG here!

Once it is compiled and remade, please check the FAQ thread (for now check the existing FAQ thread stickies) before posting your question.

Note that there is a Contest Guide thread, and a Battle Frontier Info thread.

Resources:

RSE:
[spoil]3rd Generation Pokedex
Ruby and Sapphire's Page
Emerald's Page
3rd Generation Attackdex
Abilitydex
3rd Gen Berrydex
Game Mechanics
Contest Help
E-Reader/Eon Ticket/Mystery Gift Help
Battle Frontier Help
Battle Frontier Tips and Tricks
Battle Frontier Max Stats
Tips for finding the Latis
Help with Latios, Latias, and Feebas
Official Bad Egg/Missingno. Discussion
General Ruby/Sapphire FAQ
General Emerald FAQ
Cloning in Emerald
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Glitch Discussion
Breeding Help/Egg Chain Discussion
EV's/IV's Help
Pokerus FAQ
Shiny FAQ

Plus some other websites that would be useful:
Gamefaqs's Ruby Version Walkthroughs/FAQs
Gamefaqs's Sapphire Version Walkthroughs/FAQs
Gamefaqs's Emerald Version Walkthroughs/FAQs
[/spoil]

FRLG:
[spoil]
3rd Generation Pokedex
Fire Red and Leaf Green's Page
3rd Generation Attackdex
Abilitydex
3rd Gen Berrydex
Game Mechanics
Wireless Adaptor/Mystery Gift FAQ
FrLg Glitch Report Thread
Breeding Help/Egg Chain Discussion
EV's/IV's Help
Pokerus FAQ
Shiny FAQ
Mechanics of the Roaming Pokemon (Entei, Raikou, Suicune)

Plus some other websites that would be useful:
Gamefaqs's Fire Red Version Walkthroughs/FAQs
Gamefaqs's Leaf Green Version Walkthroughs/FAQs[/spoil]

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
It's just past 3 a.m., and I'm doing some work on trying to get together some materials to start a new playthrough of Pokémon Fire Red. One of the items I want to get together is the Shell Bell, but I need a few Shoal Shells, but unfortunately, my Emerald version has a dead internal battery. So, I have two questions regarding this bit of a predicament.

1.) Does the internal battery affect the tide in Shoal Cave? Currently my tide is at Low Tide.
2.) Is there a workaround that doesn't involve replacing the internal battery?
3.) If not, is there another place in-game I can get the Shoal Shell that I can duplicate?

Aquarelle

Staff member
It's just past 3 a.m., and I'm doing some work on trying to get together some materials to start a new playthrough of Pokémon Fire Red. One of the items I want to get together is the Shell Bell, but I need a few Shoal Shells, but unfortunately, my Emerald version has a dead internal battery. So, I have two questions regarding this bit of a predicament.

1.) Does the internal battery affect the tide in Shoal Cave? Currently my tide is at Low Tide.
3.) If not, is there another place in-game I can get the Shoal Shell that I can duplicate?

Yes, the battery affects Shoal Cave. The tides there are supposed to change at specific times of the day, so if your ingame clock is stopped, the tides won't change. Therefore, your game is stuck on low tide.

Unfortunately, the only workaround I can think of is to trade a Shell Bell (or the materials to make one) from other games.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry

1.) Yup.
2.) Not that I know of.
3.) No, the Shoal shell/Shoal salt can only be found in Shoal cave.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Well, shucks. I don't suppose I can find a Shoal Shell in Low Tide, can I?

I just checked all of my Third Gen games, and all three Hoenn ones are locked at Low Tide. Hmm, I may have to use another item.

playertd

Help me finish my battle frontier team.

*Long time reader, first time poster*

I've just recently started up another emerald play through, and want to have a decent team for the battle frontier, but also have some pokemon that I like haha.

So far I have a ralts and a slakoth, I love both of their evolutions, so I'm sticking with them. Planning on a choice banding slaking with attack and speed evs, Gardevoir will either just stack special attack and speed, or some defense stats, I haven't decided.

I need help choosing a good third pokemon to compliment them, this one I've decided can be ugly, boring, whatever lol. So whichever pokemon you guys think would be a best 3rd for my team, please let me know :)

One Pokemon I'm leaning towards is Metagross, because I haven't ever used him, he looks awesome, and very strong. Not so sure he is the best for my team though considering I already have a Physic (that would make 2 of my pokemon weak to ghost/dark)

Last edited:

Mike_

Is there any way for me to find a 5-6 IV Pokémon for breeding in this gen?

Kalosian

So long
Is there any way for me to find a 5-6 IV Pokémon for breeding in this gen?
Yes, but none of them are optimal.
1. You can simply catch wild Pokemon and hope that they have 5-6 perfect IVs, though I don't recommend this since it takes nothing but sheer luck and the odds are extremely low.
2. You can try traditional breeding. If you have Pokemon with good IVs to start with, the odds of getting good IVs on the offspring is higher. You are also likely to get Pokemon with better IVs along the way even if you start out with bad IVs. However, this is also very luck-based and highly time consuming considering the fact that the Destiny Knot doesn't work this generation. In fact, it doesn't even exist this generation.
3. Finally, you can try RNG manipulation. Information and guides can be found here (just click the links for third generation). This is based on skill rather than luck but is difficult to learn and master compared to the other ways. Though, the IV spreads and the Pokemon you can obtain with them might still be rather limited. Some players also consider it to be cheating and if you do, then I guess you'll have to avoid it.

Then you could of course also trade over Pokemon with good IVs from another game if you know anyone locally who has a third gen game with Pokemon with good IVs, but if not, then that's not an alternative either. Ultimately, depending on what you need Pokemon with good IVs for on this generation, the last alternative might simply be to skip it. If you are planning to get good Pokemon for the Battle Tower/Frontier, 5-6 perfect IVs are not needed (I used Pokemon with 2-3 or sometimes even one perfect IV and did just fine). If you plan to send them forward to a future generation, I would recommend you to simply breed/obtain the Pokemon on that generation instead, though you will miss out on the exclusive 3rd gen Move Tutors but that's really the only thing.

Mike_

Thank you, Kalosian!

Another question: Does Lorelei need to return to the Elite 4 before I can find Suicune, or is Suicune available as soon as I have access to the Sevii Islands? Bulbapedia, Serebii, and Psypokes are all conflicting.

Kalosian

So long
If the sites you listed are conflicting each other, I don't think anyone can give an accurate answer (as I doubt anyone would want to test it). To be on the safe side though, you could just assume that it appears once Lorelei has returned to the E4. Unless you have the option to trade over a Suicune from another game and use the map in the Pokedex entry to see exactly when it starts to roam.

ZPM

Am I able to trade with a cartridge that the previous owner may or may not have used cheats or hacks on? I don't want to know how to do those kind of things, mind.

I ask because I want to buy some used Pokemon games from a local game store, but only if there's a possibility I can use it to trade from.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Am I able to trade with a cartridge that the previous owner may or may not have used cheats or hacks on? I don't want to know how to do those kind of things, mind.

I ask because I want to buy some used Pokemon games from a local game store, but only if there's a possibility I can use it to trade from.
Like I said in your other thread, yes you should be able to. I myself have purchased used copies of games before where the previous owner had some very obviously hacked Pokemon and I've never had a problem trading with those cartridges.
Of course, there could still be some risk involved, though I guess that's just a risk you'll have to be willing to take. If the game seems to be working fine and normal, then you should be okay, though.

Aquarelle

Staff member
^ Would starting a new game help in any sense, or would it make no difference?
Well, it would delete any illegal Pokemon, though I don't know how much of a difference that would make. With my used games, trading after starting a new game worked just as fine as it did using the previous owner's save file.

ZPM

Like I said in your other thread, yes you should be able to. I myself have purchased used copies of games before where the previous owner had some very obviously hacked Pokemon and I've never had a problem trading with those cartridges.
Of course, there could still be some risk involved, though I guess that's just a risk you'll have to be willing to take. If the game seems to be working fine and normal, then you should be okay, though.

What kind of risk(s) are you talking about?

Aquarelle

Staff member
What kind of risk(s) are you talking about?
Nothing in particular, I'm just saying that I don't know whether it would be 100% safe in every single instance. You'll very most likely have no issues with a used game that was hacked if it's working properly, but I'm not going to guarantee nothing bad will happen just in case.

Houka

Yeah as long as it's working (no glitches or freeze ups) it should be fine. If not then ya can try deleting it and that should reset everything. By delete I don't me start anew game I mean the Clear Game function that all Pokemon games have.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah as long as it's working (no glitches or freeze ups) it should be fine. If not then ya can try deleting it and that should reset everything. By delete I don't me start anew game I mean the Clear Game function that all Pokemon games have.

I don't think the command to delete a save file was ever programmed into main series games of the first three generations. In those games, you could just overwrite the old save file by simply saving in a new game.