• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

raichu27

A special version of Intimidate and Pure Power would be nice to see.

It would also be nice to see an ability that bypasses moves like Protect and Detect.

I want an Iron Fist equivalent for kick-based moves (rolling kick, double kick, high jump kick, jump kick, blaze kick, low kick, mega kick, triple kick, trop kick). Imagine a High Jump Kick coming off with that boost. Ideally, Blaziken, Hitmontop and Tsareena would have gotten this ability.

I would also love an ability that boosts the power of priority moves. Technician serves this to a certain extent (for the weaker ones) but in general, an ability like this could be fun.
I agree with this. A ice version and electric version of Blaze Kick would also be nice to see. It would make elemental kicks like we have elemental punches(e.g. Thunder Punch).

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type

It would also be nice to see an ability that bypasses moves like Protect and Detect.

I agree with this. A ice version and electric version of Blaze Kick would also be nice to see. It would make elemental kicks like we have elemental punches(e.g. Thunder Punch).

For the special version of Pure Power, I was thinking something with the name along the lines of "Genius".
An ability that bypasses protection should be called Pierce or Strong Horn or something.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I like your idea more. Woud allow to get a new type of move (like sound moves, punch moves, biting moves, etc.) without creating that "light" type I know some have been wanting. There's already a good basis of moves that would make this ability worth it, in Solarbeam, Signal Beam, Aurora Beam, Flash Cannon and Dazzling Gleam. Moves like Photon Geyser, Prismatic Laser, Moongeist Beam, Sunsteel Strike, Luster Purge and Light of Ruin could also be included, but they're exclusive moves - and thank god because a boosted LoR would be bonkers. o_O
Maybe it could also include most beam moves (Except a few like ice beam or bubble beam), rather than just the two that specifically (I may have forgotten a few) mention light in their game descriptions and aurora beam (which is rainbow so closely related to light)
The creation of such an ability would also mean that we'd get 1-2 new light based moves anyways, and I think the 5 mentionned above + maybe an electric type and a fire type light-based move would make it a decent ability now, depending on how much it buffs (30% or 50%, IMO, although 50% would be insane on solarbeam, but it's not like strong pokémon have access to it AND illuminate anyways)

This also reminds me that we need an ability that buffs sound based moves too. Either by boosting their sheer power, or by doing something like parental bond on those moves (aka echoing)
Yeah, I guess I could include more moves there but there's so many of them. It would definitely be destructive on Solar Beam too, but even though it may apply to Hyper Beam, it doesn't get used in competitive because of the recharge. But then I can see more light-based moves being introduced because of that Ability buff.

Boomburst is pretty insane but fortunately it has a more limited distribution so if a Boomburst Pokémon gets it for some reason then it may shred other Pokémon quite easily. I guess Liquid Voice needs a buff too, like boosting the power of the moves it affects and introducing similar Abilities. Maybe there could be an Ability called Shock Waves, which changes its sound based moves to Electric-type and boosts their base power by 20%.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Random ability idea time, thoughts?

Melting Point: The users Ice attack melt from the heat of a Fire type Pokemon causing them to deal Water type damage instead (while still boosted as if an Ice type stab)

Lucky3

They should give something like Schooling to the Unown as a hidden ability. It makes sense with their lore and it might make them useful.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Melting Point: The users Ice attack melt from the heat of a Fire type Pokemon causing them to deal Water type damage instead (while still boosted as if an Ice type stab)
That could make a potential Ice/Fire type do super effective damage on Fire-types even though they will take normal damage from Fire-type moves. At least that is effective against Rock too.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
They should give something like Schooling to the Unown as a hidden ability. It makes sense with their lore and it might make them useful.

That be fun, wonder what it's school form would end up looking like.

.....of course even powered up it still only know Hidden Power.

Gen82

I would like an ability that freezes the opponent when the attack. Sort of like Flame Body or Static.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would like an ability that freezes the opponent when the attack. Sort of like Flame Body or Static.
I thought of a name for it.
Cold Feel
Has a 10% chance of freezing an opponent that attacks it with a contact move.
I reduced the rate because the Frozen status is one of the most potent in the games.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I always thought an interesting ability would be something like Serene Grace or the opposite of Sheer Force, it would half the power and make the effects 100% for moves with effects. Would work great for pokemon who rely on move's effects but don't have much power to begin with.

I'd prefer if they made it that the kicks were of different elemental types than most of the punches, just to not overlap as much. Like Trop Kick is cool (needle arm isn't that widespread), they could have Tidal Kick (water) or something like that as water hasn't really been used for it. Or Creepy Kick (but lunge is sort of the kick of the bugs)

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I always thought an interesting ability would be something like Serene Grace or the opposite of Sheer Force, it would half the power and make the effects 100% for moves with effects. Would work great for pokemon who rely on move's effects but don't have much power to begin with.
I think that would be too broken especially for a fast Pokémon that has a move that can flinch. To counteract that, it could change the chances of a secondary effect by adding 50% to it, so a move with a 30% chance of a secondary effect occurring will then have a 80% chance of it occurring.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I think that would be too broken especially for a fast Pokémon that has a move that can flinch. To counteract that, it could change the chances of a secondary effect by adding 50% to it, so a move with a 30% chance of a secondary effect occurring will then have a 80% chance of it occurring.
I never thought of that lol! I could see that getting so banned, so I think you're edit is perfect. Getting put to sleep over and over or a whole team being paralyzed quickly would be really annoying too, but flinch would be the worst haha.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I never thought of that lol! I could see that getting so banned, so I think you're edit is perfect. Getting put to sleep over and over or a whole team being paralyzed quickly would be really annoying too, but flinch would be the worst haha.
Yeah especially if that Pokémon doesn't really have any priority. To also make it less broken, the attacks would do one-third of the damage that it would otherwise normally deal.

Zaide

That's still broken, even on a slow Pokémon with terrible stats, as it could make its way into doubles in a gimmicky way (with ability copying).

Serene Grace is the most they should go as far as increasing secondary effects chances. So if an ability like the one described were to make its way into the game, I don't see it adding more than 20% chance, must to differentiate it from Serene Grace by making 10% secondary effects a 30%.

Just to make sure I understand, the way it would work is if a pokémon with that ability uses an ice-type move on a fire type pokémon, it would become a water type move? If so, that's pretty cool.
If they keep the freeze status as it is, please no. If they make it a tad less potent, like they did with paralysis and burn recently, I wouldn't mind it. Always thought that there should at least be an incremental thawing, rather than leaving it to RNG. (Turn 1 : Can't move, Turn 2 : Can use moves requiring a target, but stats at ~25%, Turn 3 : Can use moves requiring a target, but stats at 50%/, Turn 4 : Thaw - you know, something like that).

As for another idea, I think it would be pretty cool to have a Pokémon that can copy the ability of its first encounter permanently - well abilities that can be copied, so no Wonder Guard, Stance Change, etc.). The Smeargle of Abilities. Except it wouldn't be Smeargle, because Prankster Smeargle would be broken as hell.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That's still broken, even on a slow Pokémon with terrible stats, as it could make its way into doubles in a gimmicky way (with ability copying).

Serene Grace is the most they should go as far as increasing secondary effects chances. So if an ability like the one described were to make its way into the game, I don't see it adding more than 20% chance, must to differentiate it from Serene Grace by making 10% secondary effects a 30%.
I came up with that with the Singles meta in mind where Trick Room isn't as common. One way to nerf it is the Pokémon is also unable to use status moves and that this Ability does not affect moves that inflict status as a secondary effect, where the Pokémon will not be able to defend itself using Protect or to heal itself using recovery moves and the Pokémon won't be able to stall out with status as efficiently and it will have to rely on other Pokémon and hazards to do the job.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
An ability that lowers the damage of super effective moves but increases the damage of not very effective moves would be interesting.

Other status aliments version of Merciless and Corrison would be cool

Luthor

Personally, I'm hoping for an ability to replace one of Delibird's redundant abilities. Even if only did something to mildly improve it that would still be a plus. Just having insomnia and Vital spirit is such a waste.

Creyk

Personally, I'm hoping for an ability to replace one of Delibird's redundant abilities. Even if only did something to mildly improve it that would still be a plus. Just having insomnia and Vital spirit is such a waste.
They should give it that ability that makes flying type moves have 2x stab instead of 1.5
A subtle boost

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
They should give it that ability that makes flying type moves have 2x stab instead of 1.5
A subtle boost
There's already an ability for that. It's called Adaptability, and it increases the STAB bonus for all types.