• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

AP Classes

Dr.Chaos

stick in the mud
I see now, sorry I didn't know the difference. AP classes seem a lot harder than honors.

It's hard to see the difference when you're not in high school so don't worry about it.

I've heard that AP Statistics and AP Physics are really easy classes.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
It's hard to see the difference when you're not in high school so don't worry about it.

I've heard that AP Statistics and AP Physics are really easy classes.

My school offers two AP physics courses, the tougher one is notoriously difficult.

ironknight42

A classes difficulty has nothing to do with the title in front of it. It is by and large the teacher. My AP classes have proved no harder than some Honors classes, which at my school is the step below. I have taken AP because I want college credit on the cheap(which it is), I am currently taking AP English and French. I have succesfully completed AP Comperative Gov't and recieved a 5 on the exam. Getting credit for the Comp is no problem, but when talking to admissions officers some times you need really high scores to get the credit as anything other than an elective, one school I'm looking at require as 5 in comp to get credit for the acual class. AP is not for everyone, but it should be offered as it is cheap college credit.

TVGuru

The Nightmare Begins
I had AP English Lit and language, US History, Government, Calculus, and Environmental Science. I passed on all tests except Calculus. But I still came into college with enough ap credit to graduate in 3 years. So I think it was a good investment.

The classes weren't really that hard. The Calculus tests were a @$#%& though.

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
I really don't see that big of a difference between AP and normal classes besides AP exams.

That's probably true for most schools, but...At my high school, regular classes were a complete joke. AP classes were the only way I could maintain some semblance of sanity and actually learn something.

Of course, they also bombarded you with homework and tests, but oh well.

Let's see...I took AP for English Language, US History, Government/Politics, Economics, English Literature, and Calculus.

However, the only AP tests I actually took were English Language and US History :p The other classes were senior year, and I just took them for the heck of it. [/nerd] I didn't need the college credit for most of them anyway.

AP History - got a 4. Studied like crazy, but didn't quite get it I guess.
AP English - scored a 5. What's funny is that I walked into that exam with maybe 15 minutes' worth of studying under my belt, and I still got a 5 o_O So yeah, some APs are harder than others.

Last edited:
Is it true that colleges can ignore AP scores, but they cant ignore SAT scores?

I'm not sure of any colleges that ignore either score, but most competitive colleges (a good example from where I'm from would be UGA) take into account your AP classes and SAT scores when deciding whether or not to accept you. If you want to beat the competition, it's good to aim for several AP classes (with good grades, might I add) and high SAT scores.

What's AP classes?

AP, or Advanced Placement, are classes with a college-level difficulty. The goal is to allow high school student to experience the college workload and, if they score at least a 3/5 on the AP Test at the end of the course, earn college credit. AP classes are also impressive on college applications, so it's a good idea to take a few if you think you can handle the workload.

Manly Blissey

Let's see, I took eight AP classes that were spread out through my junior and senior years: English III (Composition), English IV (Literature/Poetry), Physics, Chemistry, European History, American History, Calculus, and Government. As far as their difficulty is concerned, I'd say that they're comparable to that of a freshman college class. I didn't put forth 100% effort and still managed to get college credit (a 3 or higher on the exam) from all of them except Physics (that class was killer). In the long-run, I definitely look back on taking them to be personally advantageous.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
My school only offers 7 AP courses. Only 1 history AP and not a single English AP. I actually think all the APs are in science and languages.

Peter Quill

star-lord
My school only offers 7 AP courses. Only 1 history AP and not a single English AP. I actually think all the APs are in science and languages.

lol "only offers 7" I'd kill to have some more AP courses in my school. Especially AP Bio.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Alright, time for my AP experience because I don't feel like studying IR:

I took AP US History, English (Lit), US Government, and Art History. Our school also offered AP Calc and Physics, but I wan't in the advanced Math parth so I couldn't take them.

History - in personal experience, this was a joke class. The original teacher resigned after the first few months of school, and our new one was working on her dissertation. So she would summarize the chapters for the first 1 minutes of class, then we would play spades. Needless to say, most of the class wasn't ready for the exam. I got a 5, but pretty much only because I bought one of the guidebooks and studied on my own for it. And I'm an overall History BAMF

US GOVT - This was an interesting setup because our school was on trimesters. Because this was 08-09, they decided to offer AP Gov in the fall because of the election. Good times, even though we had to move at (what I though of at the time as) a fast pace to cover everything. An handful of us took the exam later in the spring though. I got another 5, mostly because I got the book for this one too.

English - Now this was an interesting class. We had a research paper as part of this on a book our teacher chose for us. I had The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky (read - 700+ pages of Russian literature). Not too bad after the first 200 pages of introduction though. My paper ended up being 20 pages, counting citations. Got a 4 on this exam (maybe senioritis caught up with me by then since it was my last exam for HS). Still enough for college credit for me (although they wouldn't take lower than a 5 on the first two).

Art History - This I took more as a resume/GPA booster (because yes, colleges like seeing "AP" on your transcript, and As in AP courses got you a 5.0). It was offered at a local art museum, so I had to go there for my first class everyday instead. Not too much of a workload; just sit in class looking at paintings, architecture, etc. Had to turn in some questions every chapter though :/. I ended up not taking the exam though because a) my college didn't offer credit for AP Art History (must have known about my BS...) and b) why take it when I wouldn't get credit and it was optional?