• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
Battle Tree Doubles? Team help

So I'm pretty new to Double battles in general and I'm wandering what I can do to actually preform well in the Battle Tree.

Right now the team I'm using is (Electric)Oricorio, Ribombee, Oranguru, and Drampa. I can go over their movesets/EVs/items but the general idea is to start with Oricorio and Ribombee, having Ribombee use 1-2 Quiver Dances to power up both it and Oricorio then try to keep them alive. If Ribombee hits it's Focus sash or Oricorio faints I Baton Pass out to Drampa to attempt to keep beating down the opponent's team.

The problem is that I can't get past 10ish wins.

So I'm looking for a better way to approach Doubles or a better way to use what I have.

BlazingRagnarok

There really isn't much I can do to help you without team specifics, but having both of your leads be frail pokemon with rock slide weaknesses is a bit of a red flag. I'll share my own tailwind team instead.

Talonflame
Item: Eject Button
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly 4hp/252atk/252spd
-Will o' Wisp
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-Taunt

Talonflame is doubtlessly one of the most reliable tailwind setters in the entire game, since fake out is pretty much the only way to stop it from going up. Will o wisp neuters physical threats that could hurt your other pokemon, and taunt protects the others from status. I chose flare blitz as my primary offensive option over flying type move because a fire type STAB move has coverage that interacts better with the rest of the team. The problem with Talonflame is that it can't actually benefit from tailwind as well as the rest of the team. Sometimes it just takes a rock slide and goes down after setting tailwind, but eject button is there in increase the amount of valuable tailwind time that goes to my other offensive threats.

Tapu Bulu
Item: Shell Bell
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant 4hp/252atk/252spd
-Wood Hammer
-Rock Slide
-Superpower
-Protect

Tapu Bulu is my primary beatstick, and its usual job is to spam its mind-bogglingly powerful wood hammer against anything that takes neutral damage or better from grass. Bulu's terrain-boosted wood hammer is so strong that even Kartana's leaf blade is only a little more than 60% as powerful as it. Protect buys time for Talonflame to set up tailwind, and rock slide and superpower provide coverage against types that resist grass. Shell bell is a little questionable as an item choice, to be honest, especially since Bulu holds an assault vest so well on sets that don't need protect. Still, it mitigates recoil and gives it the potential to squeeze off an extra wood hammer.

Primarina
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest 4hp/252spatk/252spd
-Surf
-Dazzling Gleam
-Energy Ball
-Ice Beam

If Tapu Bulu is my main physical weapon, then Primarina is my main special weapon. The choice set means it won't lead and is your go-to when Talonflame leaves or goes down. Primarina actually has one of the highest special attack stats among non-mega water types legal in the battle tree, so it's an excellent choice with tailwind support. Moveset is a typical STAB+coverage setup, but I've chosen surf over sparkling aria in the event of stumbling across the occasional soundproof pokemon. Substitute only appears on a handful of pokemon. If Talonflame switches out with eject button, I sometimes sacrifice it to change Primarina's move.

Nihilego
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid 4hp/252spatk/252spd
-Power Gem
-Sludge Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Protect

Nihilego is largely a filler addition to the fire/water/grass core that I already have, though poison resistance is a must for this slot. It also has great speed even outside of tailwind, which lessens my reliance on the speed boost. The rock type coverage move is also important against flying types Bulu has trouble with in case Primarina gets locked into a move other than ice beam. Being a special attacker also balances out the attack types on my team. Focus sash allows it to take an earthquake and counterattack, though I've also considered air balloon. Sludge wave might get swapped for sludge bomb to avoid friendly fire.

I'm not trying to get you to copy my team exactly, especially since it might not fit your playstyle. What is important is that I want you to understand the principles of balance, flexibility, and coverage. Balance means the distribution of duties among your team members to avoid putting too much pressure on an individual. Flexibility allows you to change your game plan in the face of enemy disruption. Come with a plan, but don't go down when it gets foiled. Coverage is self-explanatory, but you have to think about certain types or pokemon when building your team. My team is far from perfect (it still needs a few pieces to be VGC ready), but it has gotten me to 30 wins and counting in super doubles.

Clarkarius

Clarkarius
Z Belly Drum Azumarril: EV spread question

Currently debating over which would be a better EV spread for my Azumarril and was after some advice. I'm running a Belly Drum set with Normalium Z at present the E.V. spread is at such.

HP 92/ ATTACK 252 / SPEED 164

This set allows it to out speed base 70 speed mons with no speed investment. However after a few battle spots I'm wondering if the below set would be more ideal with Z Belly drum, seeing how it more or less ensure that ensures that the moves activates successfully.

HP 252/ ATTACK 252/ SPEED 4

This set would grant Azumarril more bulk to survive an initial hit prior to using Z Belly Drum, with Aqua Jet handling the issue of priority. Yet at the cost at some speed.

So my question is should I redistribute the E.Vs or would I better off with the original spread running Aqua Jet, Super power and Play rough after the Z Belly Drum boost?

BlazingRagnarok

Currently debating over which would be a better EV spread for my Azumarril and was after some advice. I'm running a Belly Drum set with Normalium Z at present the E.V. spread is at such.

HP 92/ ATTACK 252 / SPEED 164

This set allows it to out speed base 70 speed mons with no speed investment. However after a few battle spots I'm wondering if the below set would be more ideal with Z Belly drum, seeing how it more or less ensure that ensures that the moves activates successfully.

HP 252/ ATTACK 252/ SPEED 4

This set would grant Azumarril more bulk to survive an initial hit prior to using Z Belly Drum, with Aqua Jet handling the issue of priority. Yet at the cost at some speed.

So my question is should I redistribute the E.Vs or would I better off with the original spread running Aqua Jet, Super power and Play rough after the Z Belly Drum boost?
The weird thing about Z Belly Drum is that, during the initial setup, Azumarill is actually more vulnerable to slower opponents than faster ones. As long as Azumarill can survive a faster hit, it will heal up before cutting its HP, but a slower pokemon could score a KO after Azumarill goes to half. Of course, this doesn't change how vulnerable Azumarill is after setup, as sufficiently bulky, fast enemies that resist water still pose a threat. The question is of whether you want an easier setup or a more guaranteed sweep, and I would base your choice in whichever phase Azumarill gets KO'd in more often.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
So I was breeding for a good iv mareanie, and I got REALLY lucky and ended up breeding 5 31 ivs on everything except defense, which is 30 ivs. it's so close to being perfect, but would that 1 iv really make that much difference? mareanie's hatch cycle is slow as it is, is it worth trying to breed for that 31 iv defense?

HeatEdgeSword

So I was breeding for a good iv mareanie, and I got REALLY lucky and ended up breeding 5 31 ivs on everything except defense, which is 30 ivs. it's so close to being perfect, but would that 1 iv really make that much difference? mareanie's hatch cycle is slow as it is, is it worth trying to breed for that 31 iv defense?

That good enough according to most people. Even if you're pretty desperate, there's Hyper Training, though it must be Level 100 first in order to perform Hyper Training.

Oh, and tell me about its ability.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
That good enough according to most people. Even if you're pretty desperate, there's Hyper Training, though it must be Level 100 first in order to perform Hyper Training.

Oh, and tell me about its ability.

That's good to hear. and I just bred another one that inherited the same ivs, and both have the two different abilities of merciless and limber. however, I wasn't paying attention to nature and the merciless one has a bad nature with -spD and +atk, while the limber one has -spA and +spD.

UPDATE: I just hatched a shiny one! it has 5 perfect ivs except for sp defense which is only decent, thus I have vowed to get it to lvl 100 and use my 1 bottle cap to make it a perfect shiny! Question closed!

Last edited:

Garlana

I've so far chained 3 shiny Pokémon in moon, can I please get some moveset suggestions from you creative lot so that I can get the most out of these shinies?

Poliwag, nature: bold - ability: damp

Eevee, nature: lonely, ability: anticipation(hidden ability)

Tentacool, nature: naive, ability: liquid ooze

Please don't suggest optimal nature's as I can't change these, merely trying to get the best out of what I have. Please also suggest which eevee to go for. Thanks

Charizard2005

I am new to competitive battling and breeding and I'm trying to build a team around ariados but idk where to start I had a team but I scratched it cause I didn't think it was good

Manolis

Hi!

I just encountered my first shiny Pokemon in Moon. It was a Petilil, and it turns out the stats aren't that impressive. :) Would still like to make the most out of it, though! How would you EV train this one? Grateful for any suggestions. Cheers :)

IV Judge
HP - Decent, Sp. Atk. - Decent, Sp. Def - Pretty good, Speed - Pretty good, Defense - Very good, Attack - Pretty good
(tried to use the Serebii IV Calc, but it didn't work - sorry about that...)

Nature
Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)

Characteristics
Good endurance

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
I've so far chained 3 shiny Pokémon in moon, can I please get some moveset suggestions from you creative lot so that I can get the most out of these shinies?

Poliwag, nature: bold - ability: damp

Eevee, nature: lonely, ability: anticipation(hidden ability)

Tentacool, nature: naive, ability: liquid ooze

Please don't suggest optimal nature's as I can't change these, merely trying to get the best out of what I have. Please also suggest which eevee to go for. Thanks

Politoed ---> Defensive Politoed

Eevee ---> Offensive Flareon or Leafeon

Tentacool ----> Offensive attacker w/Knock Off maybe

I am new to competitive battling and breeding and I'm trying to build a team around ariados but idk where to start I had a team but I scratched it cause I didn't think it was good

Ariados is not particularly good and but it does have access to Sticky Web, Swarmboosted Megahorn after a sash, and Sucker Punch so it can make an alright sticky web setter.
Try an offensive team that takes advantage of sticky web.

Garlana

Politoed ---> Defensive Politoed

Eevee ---> Offensive Flareon or Leafeon

Tentacool ----> Offensive attacker w/Knock Off maybe

Ariados is not particularly good and but it does have access to Sticky Web, Swarmboosted Megahorn after a sash, and Sucker Punch so it can make an alright sticky web setter.
Try an offensive team that takes advantage of sticky web.

Perfect I like your suggestions,thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
More for fun than to actually try competitively, I want try try an entire team full of tanks, stallers, and walls. I've already got competitive ready Pyukumuku and Toxapex, and plan to add Shuckle, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and possibly Pallosand (coverage against elec and honestly I would love to see what sort of strategies he's good for). The main strategy will be to toxic stall, and if there are any poisn/steel types I can either soak with Pyukumuku or Pallosand can use a ground type move. Any thoughts? who could I add to make it better? Just a fun thing I thought I might try out.

BlazingRagnarok

More for fun than to actually try competitively, I want try try an entire team full of tanks, stallers, and walls. I've already got competitive ready Pyukumuku and Toxapex, and plan to add Shuckle, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and possibly Pallosand (coverage against elec and honestly I would love to see what sort of strategies he's good for). The main strategy will be to toxic stall, and if there are any poisn/steel types I can either soak with Pyukumuku or Pallosand can use a ground type move. Any thoughts? who could I add to make it better? Just a fun thing I thought I might try out.

If you plan to use the team in doubles, then Aromatisse is great for its aroma veil ability and trick room support. In singles, Mega Sableye is an absolute must due to being a taunt-proof staller. Taunt and setup moves are huge problems for your team, so you need at least one dedicated hazer/phazer (Toxapex performs this role well), and you need something that can soak up incoming taunts. Assault vest users do this well, and having at least one pokemon with attacking moves would do your team some good.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
If you plan to use the team in doubles, then Aromatisse is great for its aroma veil ability and trick room support. In singles, Mega Sableye is an absolute must due to being a taunt-proof staller. Taunt and setup moves are huge problems for your team, so you need at least one dedicated hazer/phazer (Toxapex performs this role well), and you need something that can soak up incoming taunts. Assault vest users do this well, and having at least one pokemon with attacking moves would do your team some good.

Cool, thanks. I'll start training a Sableye (they're available in sun moon). I'll pass on the Aromatisse though, I prefer singles.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i ran a SPA lucario in gen6, i still do but i have bred another one (sun) for gen7 battles as the others are PKbank locked. its timid nature with stead fast, i would've went inner focus to prevent flinching ion the past but chose steadfast to get a bump up in speed. i know its no match as far a speed goes for tapu koko but i still like lucario. my question related to the new priority flinch moves and who has aces to them ie fakeout and a few others (golispod). i came across a fake out togedmaru already, who else has such moves? id like to gain a speed boost from it if possible. im not set on a specific item but its either a life orb or salac berry. i still havent done any BP grinding for the battle items but am using the free items found locally in sun for battle.

Last edited:

BlazingRagnarok

i ran a SPA lucario in gen6, i still do but i have bred another one (sun) for gen7 battles as the others are PKbank locked. its timid nature with stead fast, i would've went inner focus to prevent flinching ion the past but chose steadfast to get a bump up in speed. i know its no match as far a speed goes for tapu koko but i still like lucario. my question related to the new priority flinch moves and who has aces to them ie fakeout and a few others (golispod). i came across a fake out togedmaru already, who else has such moves? id like to gain a speed boost from it if possible. im not set on a specific item but its either a life orb or salac berry. i still havent done any BP grinding for the battle items but am using the free items found locally in sun for battle.

Well, Hariyama is a popular fake out choice on trick room teams due to its low speed. Raichu, Weavile, Smeargle, and Incineroar commonly run it, and there are a few other pokemon that are either less popular or run fake out uncommonly, such as Sableye, Persian, and Salazzle.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Well, Hariyama is a popular fake out choice on trick room teams due to its low speed. Raichu, Weavile, Smeargle, and Incineroar commonly run it, and there are a few other pokemon that are either less popular or run fake out uncommonly, such as Sableye, Persian, and Salazzle.

thank you very much for the reply, i know most of the gen 1-6 that run fake out but not so much the newer gen7. thankfully it seems only 3 new gen7 pkmn can learn that move.

Dragonite Fan

Hi!

I Have a 5iv timid alolan ninetales, Max Evs in SpA and Speed, 4 on Hp. Snow Warning HA.
Moveset is currently:
Aurora Veil
Encore
Moonblast
Blizzard

I LOVE this moveset, it's very good for setup, disruption and special sweeping if need be.

However, I was thinking of maybe swaping Blizzard for freeze-dry, as I don't have super-effective coverage against water in my current battle tree team.

do you think the power down is worth it?

nel3

Crimson Dragon
is there any suggestions for playing around with a psychic surge field on my team? i run an E-speed arcanine and vacuum wave lucario to cover priority and fast opponents. what limitations does psychic surge to to give me advantage and also hinder my moves?

id prefer to run a M-Gardevoir but cant until PKbank comes along so im using Tapu Lele as a stand in for similar stats/typing and moves. its not the best nature (hasty) as i didnt plan to use it in the first place so i took the 1st one i could get back then. it also wont be used with a scarf, likely a shellbell. im waiting for the easy BP from pkbank app. the EVs are 116hp, 144 SPA, 56 DEF, 192 speed. im hoping it can be a mildly bulky pkmn but have some good speed and hitting power.