• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokens

you know what you are geting
Dude, before you go criticizing my spelling, please spell check yours first...

1) What do you mean by light? As in the waves emitted by objects such as stars, which we see as colours in the visual specrum i.e. Solrock? Or as in Holy, such as Arceus (normal) and Ho-Oh (Fire/Flying)? Or something else intirely 1)what do you think I meant? I was under the impression light could be a somewhat general term. What do you think they meant by dark? sneaky moves like thief? or moves like dark pulse, which don't seem very sneaky?

2) How would it fit in? I mean in the type chart? Who would it be strong/weak/neutral vs? I thought I touched on this a little... maybe, strong against dark and ghost, weak against dark, maybe psychic. neutral against normal/bug/rock.

2) Wouldn't they have added a "light type" when they introduced Dark, over 11 years ago? did they have dark when they introduced psychic in the beginning? or was bug satisfactory? innovation, maybe late, but still a cute concept.

Will open more places for the television show to go (We have already established pokemon come from different realms and outer space and travel in time. How about a realm of light pokemon. A weak example, but this is all off the top of my head.) Yes it is weak.
I pointed out it was a weak example, because I knew it was. But thank you.

No you're not and I suggest that you dont post something like that if you dont want to come across as being, imho, a prat.
A what? me a... a prat? How astute of you. Thank you, you're k-i-n-d-a a prat yourself dude.

Thanks for your impute though, sometimes I argue for the sake of arguing, a little stupid I know.

The goths are gonna lynch gamefreak if they get light type.

thomas477

Johto Trainer
Dude, before you go criticizing my spelling, please spell check yours first... 1 mistake by forgetting 1 letter which was part of a double, as compared to yours, is a small detail

1)what do you think I meant? I was under the impression light could be a somewhat general term. What do you think they meant by dark? sneaky moves like thief? or moves like dark pulse, which don't seem very sneaky?Last i looked it wasn't sneaky, so much as fighting dirty and to me, a pulse of dark-intent energy, which is in essence, what Dark Pulse is, which makes it fit right in. Also, use your brain (if applicable), would I have asked if i knew the answer?

2)I thought I touched on this a little... maybe, strong against dark and ghost, weak against dark, maybe psychic. neutral against normal/bug/rock. So it would be both strong and weak vs dark. Makes sense. And if its only neutral vs normal/bug/rock, wat about steel, fire, water, electric, ghost, grass etc?

2) did they have dark when they introduced psychic in the beginning? or was bug satisfactory? innovation, maybe late, but still a cute concept. This is where you let yourself down. Dark was mainly added to counter Psychic's incredibly unbalanced type match ups.

Also, why would they add an extra type to the formula which has worked so well over the past 10+ years and has seen it become the 2nd highest selling series ever? I ask you, would Zelda get rid of the Dungeons, would Mario get rid of Princess Peach? Would Metroid get rid of Samus Aran's powersuit? The answer is no and, quite frankly, why would they want to change them? Pokemon is widely known for its incredible battle system and types. Why attempt to change them?

EDIT:

Neo Duality summed it up well

Last edited:

Tokens

First, that was not the only spelling mistake you made, but thats really not important.

Interesting comparisons you made, that was cute. You seem to have some real strong feelings about this light type thing. I just don't think that it is taking away from the game. I think it helps it grow some more. Pokemon is a rough diamond because it keeps on growing and getting better.
They are coming up with all these new pokemon and changing the way the graphics look in the game, but what else are they doing? Is it bad because it would be difficult for you to adjust to? Do you just want the game to be essentially the same for each new generation that comes out? Because I 'spose that would be okay. Kinda be a little bit monotonous though.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
people like you who get all flamey when you're ideas are shot down, are proof enough you're not mature enough to accept reality, and thus all arguements with you wil inevitably be +1 post count.

1) Having Light type will show growth in plot
2) Will show expansion and discovery within gameplay. (They add something new in each new gen. right? I know I am.)
3) Will open new avenues for pokemon creation.
4) Will help expand fandom with the more simple minded players
5) Will make the game more interesting for vetern players. I think you would be lying if you said it wouldn't
6) It may help alot of the lazy poke-fans be a little less lazy. Goodness! press buttons on a game! dont be so barbaric!
7) Will open more room for revenue and sales in pokemon merchandise. duh.
8) Will open more places for the television show to go (We have already established pokemon come from different realms and outer space and travel in time. How about a realm of light pokemon. A weak example, but this is all off the top of my head.)
9) Becuase it would simply be refreshing to have something totally new. It was really great when they added dark type. Really fun and exciting.
10) Because maybe thier is some aspect of the proposed "light" type that could be really revolutionary. People keep on saying **** like "it would be wierd" and " I dont want to do extra work when I trade" and whining like they would be doing the work or something. What if their is something that we are not thinking about and it would be totally the ****?

1-Adding a type has absolutly NOTHING to do with plot, in GSC was any of the legendaries Steel or Dark?
2-It's not much of a discovery if it's a known type and offers nothing twords enhancement of the game, it functions fine without it.
3-You know Sugmori has hundreds if designs already premade right?
4-If GF follows the Fandom's ludicolo wants, Pokemon will go the path of Sonic.
5-Most veterans who actually know anything, know that the system has no need for a light type.
6-Has nothing to do with a Light type, you're being daft here.
7-Becuase they make $ off of new types, consumersbuy for the franchise not a few newly typed pokemon, unless you only bought GSC for a Steel magnemite.
8-Becuase ya know, the anime can quickly swich that way, still waiting for gym badge 8.
9C-ONTRADICTION i according to your earlier point, each generation brought somthing new to the gameplay, thus this point is moot.
10-Most instances of light would not work/been covered for a pokemon, artificial light has Electric, and Fire, Light being honorable has Fighting, unless we want every light type to be prissy rainbow beamers, the bases have bee covered.

Last edited:
MetalFlygon08 don't rip off Sammi plz

also tokens do you attack someone else's spelling just to feel good about yourself or is it OCD

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
1) Having Light type will show growth in plot
How so? Dark and Steel didn't do that, much.
2) Will show expansion and discovery within gameplay. (They add something new in each new gen. right? I know I am.)
Needless expansion that will upset the balance of the game and retard gameplay needlessly.
3) Will open new avenues for pokemon creation.
Not neccessarily. Use Fire and/or Psychic and/or Electric to create 'lighty' Pogermanz.
4) Will help expand fandom with the more simple minded players
A valid point. Seriously.
5) Will make the game more interesting for vetern players. I think you would be lying if you said it wouldn't
Kind of, but then, the balance of game play would be upset with a new type.
6) It may help alot of the lazy poke-fans be a little less lazy. Goodness! press buttons on a game! dont be so barbaric!
???
7) Will open more room for revenue and sales in pokemon merchandise. duh.
With the idiot horde? Yes, but we can do that already without a new blight on the game.
8) Will open more places for the television show to go (We have already established pokemon come from different realms and outer space and travel in time. How about a realm of light pokemon. A weak example, but this is all off the top of my head.)
And as such is a useless suggestion.
9) Becuase it would simply be refreshing to have something totally new. It was really great when they added dark type. Really fun and exciting.
So what, black isn't good enough for you? You want to reaffirm white supremacy? Yes it would be refreshing, but also annoying and pointless. If it was going to happen, it would've happended in Gen' 3.
10) Because maybe th[ere] is some aspect of the proposed "light" type that could be really revolutionary. People keep on saying **** like "it would be wierd" and " I dont want to do extra work when I trade" and whining like they would be doing the work or something. What if their is something that we are not thinking about and it would be totally the ****?
Well, LIKE WHAT! 0_0

anyways, thier was not much thought put into this, I just did. It does not matter if they are satisfactory. I dont want a silly Chuck Norris sprite. Thanks. You guys are depressing. No fun. Very closed minded. Blah.
Takes one to know one, you troll.

And let me leave you guys this morning with this. Thier is so so so much solid ground for installing light type. Simplest reason being that it would add another beautiful facet to the rough diamond that is Pokemon. Poetic right?
Shakespeare, Brecht and Voltaire are poetic, you are not. Yor're using metaphor, which is a literary device.

It is probably not happening anyway, but if they did it (which they could, considering they are creating the new game, the new pokemon, and everything else new. And you may be shocked, but you're not) what would you do? Cry. Good luck. imma be interested, excited even. A new type! Wow what could they have possibly came up with to pull this off! bla bla bla.
Meanwhile, in reality....

As you don't like Chuck Norris, Here's a new LIGHT-TYPE Pogermanz for YOU!!.
[IMG200]http://i31.*******.com/20hq9uh.gif[/IMG200]

Last edited:

Josiah

is your favorite
Maybe I'm confused, but aren't Poison, Grass, and Bug all pretty terrible types while Dragon and Steel are both pretty godly? I don't play competitively.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a new type, but I don't think Light is really the best choice. It's really abstract to make a type chart for it, but something like sound would be easier.

Tokens

people like you who get all flamey when you're ideas are shot down, are proof enough you're not mature enough to accept reality, and thus all arguements with you wil inevitably be +1 post count.
You guys really are something else. This thread has several pages of "light type R bad because iz bad". I try to present a argument with theoretical material. Albeit I was a bit ridiculous. But that is what it took get something legit out there. So what do you mean "accept reality"? Because I defended the position I took? wow...

also tokens do you attack someone else's spelling just to feel good about yourself or is it OCD
you must have missed the part when he corrected me and forgot to use spell check.

Takes one to know one, you troll.
Troll really? That was not trolling.

Shakespeare, Brecht and Voltaire are poetic, you are not. Yor're using metaphor, which is a literary device.
I thought it was obvious that I was joking, but apparently, it was not that obvious. I will try not to make jokes anymore. How about those are poets from like the 17th century. And because metaphors and similes are used alot in modern poetry, I'll just let that attack be.

So what, black isn't good enough for you? You want to reaffirm white supremacy? Yes it would be refreshing, but also annoying and pointless. If it was going to happen, it would've happended in Gen' 3.
You can't be ****ing serious. You are pulling something racist out? I'm mixed with black and white. Why would you say some **** like that?

Well, LIKE WHAT! 0_0
Well, like if you read the post, I was putting an idea out their, "maybe their is something we haven't thought of". I thought that kind of implied a think outside the box approach. Not to mention I really could not think of anything.

So how about this, next time I take a stance. I'll make sure to whip up an extra batch of deliberate ignorance for you.
I can admit when I am wrong. I am not okay with the conversation going from a heated argument to you calling me racist over pokemon. not okay. not okay.

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
I see no real agruements against Light type, only childs saying that it's 'dumb' or 'unnecessary' when it actually has potential.

I'd like to either see a complete revamp of the entire type system, because, as of now Steel and Dragon types rule the game at the moment. If this will not be done, then a new type is completely prossible.

Many types have a massive disadvantage and some have an over powering appeal to them. The majorty of fully evolved Steel type are considered some of the best in combat. Tell me that's not odd. Dragon type as an attack type is extremely powerful. Dragon needs another type that resists it. It may not be 'light' type but another one sure would be appreciated. Personally, I think Poison type could do that but it's subjective.

As for possible pokemon that already exist that could switch to light type:
Clefairy line (Light)
Chinchou line (Water/Light)
Absol (Light/Dark)
Mew (Light)
Girafarig (Psychic/Light)
Dratini line (Dragon/Light)
Lati@s (Dragon/Light)
Mareep line (Electric/Light)
Uxie/Azelf/Mesprit (Light)
Chansey line (Light)
Cresselia (Light/Psychic)
Kecleon (Light/Normal) it's ability would only change it's normal type.
Riolu line (Light/Fighting)
Sunflora (Light/Grass)
Bellossom (Light/Grass)
Shinx line (Light/Electric)
Mr. Mime (Light)
etc.

What would having 1 more type change? don't say it would make the game 'too complex'. Dark and Steel types were added at the same time the changes to bug and poison type were made and the game rolled on just fine. Like I said, it doesn't have to be 'light' type, just something to help even out the imbalances in typing caused by all the new things that have happened since Gen 2 (such as abilities and the physical/special split).

B. Thunder Tiger

I have been surfing around the forums for a very good time, and I have seen countless of topics about 'The Light Type'. While I'm neutral in this and I'm not one of those who WANT such a type....I do want to make some points clear, and I think I have the right as well.

I will be honest here....

First of all, most of the crap about how the Dark Type is supposed to be, also doesn't make any slagging sense. Before anyone tries to gun me down, let me tell you that the Dark Type is obviously FAR more then just dirty fighting, and that the Fighting Type is nothing about 'honorable' fighting. That is just stupid. Fighting can be concidered in many ways, but so can Dark Type.

Otherwise they just should have called the Fighting Type "Good Type". Which is really dumb sounding in the name of types.

In easier words. Dark Type isn't just about Dirty Fighting or Cheating solely. It, for me, also represents a lot more.

One example that it doesn't ONLY represent the two former reasons, is the exclusive attack of Darkrai - Dark Void. Tell me what it has to do with those two 'most-used' reasons?

For me, it doesn't represent ANYTHING about dirty fighting or cheating. In fact its a DARK-elemental type attack. Dark Pulse is maybe dark thoughts, but again....these 'dark' thoughts can be anything dark - it doesn't have to be solely something about 'dirty fighting and cheating'. Who knows....it could be something else that represents the dark.

But I will agree with one thing about the Dark Type. Most of the moves are BASED on dirty fighting and cheating. If anything, I would say the Dark Type represents 'Dirty Fighting', "Cheating", "Dishonor" and "Darkness", because Dark Void represents 'Darkness' in whole.

For those who say Fighting is the honorable type, now that I find bullcrap, because why is the Dark Type weak against "Bug" then?

Because 'Cheaters' and "Dirty Fighters" scream "Eeeekkk! Its a Bug!" maybe? That would be hillarious, yet, stupid looking as well.

As for that "Light Type", also don't say it can't have any weakness, strengths and the sort, and that it doesn't fit, because it can, although I'm only merely pointing out some reasons why.

A good example for Light, that it could represent the 'honorable' 'the fair' and more basically sounding 'the energy of light' itself. A PRIME opposite to Dark.

For weaknesses and strengths, it could be a neutral strong type like Dragon, with being strong AND weak against Dark. A prime example - Dragon is weak against itself (just imagine Ice isn't counted for now). For weaknesses, it could share the same number of weaknesses like Dark has, but different, and with one weakness being Dark itself.

For attacks....well there's PLENTY of room to think up attacks/moves/abilities that suit the 'Light Type'. I'm not saying exisiting pokemon should be reconned into the said Type. For all we know, it "might" only be exclusive to BRAND NEW Pokemon of Gen 5.

I'm not going to put up crazy examples of attacks and abilities, but surely you know what I'm talking about.

Lastly, many of you forget (and I don't care if I'm put in the 'You're Stupid' corner) that Black and White, the new Gen 5 is a WHOLE new Generation of Pokemon. Its not just a gen where a bunch of new pokemons, new attacks are introduced along with some new features.

Who knows what this Gen will bring to the table? I'm not saying there will be a Light Type, or I want one, but don't tell, what you can't not possibly know. Game Freak is still the main delevoper of the series, so unless you're a delevoper of the company, don't drag out the common 'bullcrap' out of the swamp.

If Dark Type is known as 'the Evil' type in Japan, then there is also Good. But then again, I saw a lot of posts that state 'there is no Pokemon that is evil or good'

Again, I'm not someone who WANTS the Light Type. I'm someone who states a possibility of it, with reasons included. Included with this, I also state what the Dark Type is (in my eyes) followed with the Fighting Type.

Encyclopika

The Queen
"Ho-Oh used rainbow on Lugia, Its SUPER EFFECTIVE!!! ah! it just couldnt stand the assult of colors delivered by Ho-Oh and goes down!"

yeeeeah, i cant imagine something like that happening in the next pokemon collaseam.
And Bubbles are incredibly devastating...:/

Anyway, I don't see the issue with having Light as a type. Personally, I wouldn't care for the "problems" in trading it would arise...I just think it'd make a big impact.

A lot of people in this thread have mostly replied with the Light type being "unnecessary" and other such vocabulary, but no one really gives a reason why that is so. In fact, many have brought to the table that a number of different types could be "the light type" in spirit, but it all boils down to...they just aren't what some would conceive as a light type. They are their own type. However, the fact that Fighting is good against Dark may very well prove your point, but in the end, I find it to be of its own thing. Whether that makes or breaks the argument for Light type doesn't really matter. The Light type has been discussed for years, and the fact of the matter is, is that some want a new type in general, this one happens to have a name.

Whether we convert existing Pokemon to the "Light" type or not makes no difference in its use. So we made Magnemite Steel type in Gen 2...we also didn't transfer any of the original 151 into Dark type, so the argument is moot.

The details of Light type can also be buffered out. God forbid we give Poison something it's actually strong against, give Sableye and Spiritomb a weakness and maybe just shake it up this next gen. Whether Sableye and Spiritomb are good Pokemon or not doesn't escape the fact that they have no weakness.

When I think of the Dark type, I agree with B. Thunder Tiger in that, Dark could very well represent "Cheating" and such, but also Darkness as an element, kinda how they do in Magic the Gathering.

In any case, the "Light" type or any new type need not have a real purpose than to sell the new games even more.

I'm not going to throw all my energy into this new type, nor will I care if it appears or not, but I don't think we should all be so closed off to the idea. Pokemon is capable of surprising us.

Abbey Mae

^ Well, Bug types had to be given more types to beat than just Grass... To keep Bugs from being an almost completely useless type (when so many other things can beat Grass, like Fire and Flying) they had to make it SE against Dark and Psychic, two (some might say) "superior" types. In addition, that kind of helps to balance out Dark. Type advantages and disadvantages are usually realistic, but if they were always that way, things would be much more unbalanced. Like Ice and Dragon, for example.

I've always thought of Psychic as Dark's opposite, personally... But Fighting is another thing to be considered. It's kind of like Fire, Grass, and Water... Psychic is NE against Dark, Dark is NVE against Fighting, and Fighting is NVE against Psychic; while Dark is SE against Psychic, Psychic against Fighting, and Fighting against Dark. I feel like Dark already has things countering it in different ways that make the Light type unnecessary.

I don't like the idea of trading complications very much either. We've had enough of those over the years... It'd be nice to, just once, trade between generations with ease.

That being said, I wouldn't totally hate the idea of a new type, if GF can find a good place for it in the Pokemon world (which they are surely competent enough to do); but the Light type is just a tad too like other types, like Psychic. Yes, the two are quite different, just not different enough.

MrPostman

Viceroy
I see no real agruements against Light type, only childs saying that it's 'dumb' or 'unnecessary' when it actually has potential.

I'd like to either see a complete revamp of the entire type system, because, as of now Steel and Dragon types rule the game at the moment. If this will not be done, then a new type is completely prossible.

Many types have a massive disadvantage and some have an over powering appeal to them. The majorty of fully evolved Steel type are considered some of the best in combat. Tell me that's not odd. Dragon type as an attack type is extremely powerful. Dragon needs another type that resists it. It may not be 'light' type but another one sure would be appreciated. Personally, I think Poison type could do that but it's subjective.

As for possible pokemon that already exist that could switch to light type:
Clefairy line (Light)
Chinchou line (Water/Light)
Absol (Light/Dark)
Mew (Light)
Girafarig (Psychic/Light)
Dratini line (Dragon/Light)
Lati@s (Dragon/Light)
Mareep line (Electric/Light)
Uxie/Azelf/Mesprit (Light)
Chansey line (Light)
Cresselia (Light/Psychic)
Kecleon (Light/Normal) it's ability would only change it's normal type.
Riolu line (Light/Fighting)
Sunflora (Light/Grass)
Bellossom (Light/Grass)
Shinx line (Light/Electric)
Mr. Mime (Light)
etc.

What would having 1 more type change? don't say it would make the game 'too complex'. Dark and Steel types were added at the same time the changes to bug and poison type were made and the game rolled on just fine. Like I said, it doesn't have to be 'light' type, just something to help even out the imbalances in typing caused by all the new things that have happened since Gen 2 (such as abilities and the physical/special split).
Because people who disagree with you are just childish. HOW DARE THEY DISAGREE!

Why would bringing in a "light type" to counter the dark type do anything to check Steel and Dragon types? I have a feeling that was so well thought out, wasn't it?

Last edited:

B. Thunder Tiger

And Bubbles are incredibly devastating...:/

Anyway, I don't see the issue with having Light as a type. Personally, I wouldn't care for the "problems" in trading it would arise...I just think it'd make a big impact.

A lot of people in this thread have mostly replied with the Light type being "unnecessary" and other such vocabulary, but no one really gives a reason why that is so. In fact, many have brought to the table that a number of different types could be "the light type" in spirit, but it all boils down to...they just aren't what some would conceive as a light type. They are their own type. However, the fact that Fighting is good against Dark may very well prove your point, but in the end, I find it to be of its own thing. Whether that makes or breaks the argument for Light type doesn't really matter. The Light type has been discussed for years, and the fact of the matter is, is that some want a new type in general, this one happens to have a name.

Whether we convert existing Pokemon to the "Light" type or not makes no difference in its use. So we made Magnemite Steel type in Gen 2...we also didn't transfer any of the original 151 into Dark type, so the argument is moot.

The details of Light type can also be buffered out. God forbid we give Poison something it's actually strong against, give Sableye and Spiritomb a weakness and maybe just shake it up this next gen. Whether Sableye and Spiritomb are good Pokemon or not doesn't escape the fact that they have no weakness.

When I think of the Dark type, I agree with B. Thunder Tiger in that, Dark could very well represent "Cheating" and such, but also Darkness as an element, kinda how they do in Magic the Gathering.

In any case, the "Light" type or any new type need not have a real purpose than to sell the new games even more.

I'm not going to throw all my energy into this new type, nor will I care if it appears or not, but I don't think we should all be so closed off to the idea. Pokemon is capable of surprising us.

First of all, thanks for acknowledging me. I was getting kind of bored of seeing the common "No we don't want a Light Type!' crap (without reason), making me decide to tell my former post onto this topic.

Secondly, just like you, I totally agree with your answer onto this matter. Its not the fact of wanting a new type, but what (IF) a new type comes, what it could bring to the table.

Josiah

is your favorite
The fact that people can't decide which out of Fire/Psychic/Electric/Fighting represents Light tells me that none of them do adequately. In the beginning they could have just represented Dragon with Fire/Flying, but they gave it it's own type. With types like that, Bug, Ghost, and Poison, and the differences between Rock/Ground/Steel and Water/Ice can we really say that Light is unnecessary?

Encyclopika

The Queen
^ Well, Bug types had to be given more types to beat than just Grass... To keep Bugs from being an almost completely useless type (when so many other things can beat Grass, like Fire and Flying) they had to make it SE against Dark and Psychic, two (some might say) "superior" types. In addition, that kind of helps to balance out Dark. Type advantages and disadvantages are usually realistic, but if they were always that way, things would be much more unbalanced. Like Ice and Dragon, for example.
I've always thought of Psychic as Dark's opposite, personally... But Fighting is another thing to be considered. It's kind of like Fire, Grass, and Water... Psychic is NE against Dark, Dark is NVE against Fighting, and Fighting is NVE against Psychic; while Dark is SE against Psychic, Psychic against Fighting, and Fighting against Dark. I feel like Dark already has things countering it in different ways that make the Light type unnecessary.
Balancing out Dark may be the obvious route to go, but it's of my least concern. To be honest, I'm more partial to a Virtual Type than anything, since I've done extensive work on creating Fakemon for it. :p So I know that will work in the very least.
However, balance only goes so far in the Pokemon world. After all, Dragons seem to completely kill everything is sight, with only true weaknesses from their own kind and Ice, and Electric types are only truly weak to Ground, where Grass can be hit by Flying, Fire, Bugs, and Poison. Bringing in Light to counter Dark (if that's the way it has to be) isn't needed, but certainly not impossible. We can also always think outside the box - maybe Light could be good against Dragon!

I don't like the idea of trading complications very much either. We've had enough of those over the years... It'd be nice to, just once, trade between generations with ease.
Oh, there will always be complications, even if a new type never crosses the developer's minds. New attacks, new Pokemon and the like are enough to make things difficult. DP gave us Pal Park...something where we could never trade the Pokemon we transferred from previous games back. There was no trading involved, but is that not a difficulty?

dancing_totodile

Breeder Contestant
WOW! I leave for one day and go from 1/2 pages to 5... and so much to work on.

Okay, first, I didn't want this to be a war, so could you all stop the name calling, especially name calling that I don't even know what it means (Prat).

Next, I thank to all those who people who made a single post saying "It is unnessacry" or "It is stupid" I asked not for that to happen, and I wish I could spam report all of you. I wanted good reasons, not just weak unless little personal opinions.

Now, onto some replies, as I enjoyed many of the post opinions both the people who approve, and the people who disapprove the type. Once again, I didn't want this a speculation thread as well, just a thread for understanding.

As for Dark being "Decietful, cheap shots, and cunning strikes", I understand that a bit more, now that I understand that Japan's Dark is "Evil". That makes more since, but for me in America, I see Dark and image the elemental attribute. Also, taking someone's comment of pokemon not being good or evil, technically that means that Dark couldn't represent "Deciet" as that is a mark of evil (in a general sense) and if a pokemon can't be or understand there act is evil, then there atacks such as Bite and Faint attack can't be deciet full, just another stragy to there fighting techniques.

Jumping to Dark vs Fighting. I don't see a lot of "Honor" in some of the Fighting type pokemon. Out of the fighting types, I see only the Hitmon-trio (and Tyrouge), Torchi's Evos, Chimchar's Evos, Makuhita Evo's, and Meditite's Evo's as understand the basics of "honor" and even a few of those I don't fully see as Infernape can learn Taunt and Punishment, which don't seem very "Honorable" to me. A lot of the others look like hired Muscle (Mankey and Machop lines), they just looked powerful during creation so they added fighting as a type (Heracross and Poliwrath), or have fighting skill, but just have an edge that doesn't screen "Honor!" (Croagunk line and Breloom).
I just don't fully see the whole thing as making complete sense.

Also I repeat how do you people keep saying Psychic is Light? I mean If that were true based on most stories and games and such, Evil (Dark) usually loses to Good (Light) yet Psychic is Weak to Dark, so I don't see that making much sense either.

Light's Strengths and Weakness? Hmm....
Strength: Dark, Ghost, Bug (Most insects-at least nocturnal ones-are drawn to light and gets confused and daze by it)
Weakness: Dark, Water-light refracts in water making it less effective).
Neutral/Immune to each other: Dragon-because unless the dragon is dark, most dragons are Neutral and will help either side, but most either die (if evil) or help the good guys more.

Lastly, for the Goth Lynching, Does that mean I should start lynching Dark? and for there not being a Light type? Don't get me wrong, I like Dark (Mostly through Sableye and Honchrow), but I have and always will be a Light oriented person. Even in High School, my best friends were the Goths, but I wore the bright colors and had a happy attitude, I was friends with Darkness, but felt closer to the Light. Now is that fair?

In the end. I understand all the valid points, and even though I still want to see it, I don't have to have it. I just wanted to understand that though it is not fully needed completly, there are reasons both good and bad that it is possible to be made.

(Rant and Speculation-because everyone else got to do it.:) )
I still believe only new pokemon in 5th gen and up should have it, no 1-4 gen should gain it (or lose a type to gain it). The only one I've seen in threads that could would be Ampharos because of the whole "light house" scenario.
But what I request is that if they don't add Light has a type in 5th Gen, could they at least do something useful in the pokemon Line up and not have 1/3 of the new pokemon in water, and 1/3 in flying type pokemon with a cool type combo, but can't learn fly (Mothim and Gligar Line) and actually increase the low count of a great deal of other types that need more variety. :)
And for people who spell check EVERYTHING because they have nothing else to but point it out to try to make the other poster look like an idiot. I'm at work and didn't have a lot of time to type this and worry about every spelling error I may make, and I know Unnessacry is spelt wrong. It is a word that constantly trips me up.

Last edited:

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
You seem to misunderstand the Dark type. It is not an alignment or "muwhahahahahaha mad scientist evil" it is just fighting dirty. Now between the triangle of fighting, dark and psychic you have fighting, which is fighting fairly with your fists, dark which is fighting dirty, and psychic which is fighting with an opponent mentally. So where would you go? How would the light type fight?

Furthermore Dark and Steel were still introduced the franchise was still very new. No one cared that magnemite and magneton suddenly gained a steel type and some of the normal moves suddenly became dark type. But now that it is 2010 and the franchise has some age to it. What types of moves would light type use? People will get ****** if a large amount of moves get turned into "light" moves. What moves would become light moves? Light screen? Moonlight? Solarbeam? Solarbeam would almost have to. It is pure solar energy drawn from the sun.

But before you argue for that let me tell you that GF doesn't like to retcon their pokemon or moves. They do a lot to keep their creations from being retconned. This is highly prevalent in the evolutionary inducing items. If an old pokemon gets a new evolution it will be through a new means of some evolutionary device that was not prevalent regions before (Piloswine excluded).

Also what pokemon would you make light type? What pokemon would look "light" type to you? Togekiss? Clefable? Mew? Chansey? Sunkern? Sunflora? Garedvoir? Solrock? Lunatone? Lanturn? Jirachi? Arceus? Luxray? Froslass? Espeon? Roserade? All these pokemon are covered by their respective types and wouldn't need to become any thing else.

If a light type pokemon would look like any of these to you stop for a moment and realize: that is why we don't have or need a light type. Their already covered by the types we have.

Also to answer the question: People hate it because the fans never stop talking about it. They repeatedly create threads and talk about it whenever a new game is coming out and talk about how "this is gonna be the generation where they make a light type!"

That makes more since, but for me in America, I see Dark and image the elemental attribute.
Well that is fine but Game Freak is Japanese. Forgive them for not conforming to your American desires.

Also, taking someone's comment of pokemon not being good or evil, technically that means that Dark couldn't represent "Deciet" as that is a mark of evil (in a general sense) and if a pokemon can't be or understand there act is evil, then there atacks such as Bite and Faint attack can't be deciet full, just another stragy to there fighting techniques.

Fighting dirty and being tricky =/= evil. They just have a different fighting style. Instead of honing their body or mind they use their wits and quick thinking to battle as well using an unforgiving attack strategy that lowers pokemon stats, steals their items, hitting them while they retreat.

I don't fully see as Infernape can learn Taunt and Punishment, which don't seem very "Honorable" to me.
...Which are dark type moves... Also Infernape is an APE and apes can be notorious for being trouble makers. It thought those moves were a fantastic touch on the Chimchar line.

A lot of the others look like hired Muscle (Mankey and Machop lines), they just looked powerful during creation so they added fighting as a type (Heracross and Poliwrath), or have fighting skill, but just have an edge that doesn't screen "Honor!" (Croagunk line and Breloom).
I just don't fully see the whole thing as making complete sense.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Also I repeat how do you people keep saying Psychic is Light? I mean If that were true based on most stories and games and such, Evil (Dark) usually loses to Good (Light) yet Psychic is Weak to Dark, so I don't see that making much sense either.

Think of it like this: Highly intelligent nerdy kid (Psychic) gets beat up by a dirty fighting school bully (Dark). The school bully (Dark) gets taken down a notch by the righteous kid who fights fair and has a good heart (Fighting). But that righteous kid (Fighting) can't perform as well on the tests like the nerd (Psychic) can because brain over brawn.

Make sense yet?

And for people who spell check EVERYTHING because they have nothing else to but point it out to try to make the other poster look like an idiot. I'm at work and didn't have a lot of time to type this and worry about every spelling error I may make, and I know Unnessacry is spelt wrong. It is a word that constantly trips me up.

Maybe you should just take a bit more time to spell check yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.