• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Dark types could be the opposite. Think almost like the holy monks of the Pokemon world, temple guardians and such. They should have a fu dog Pokemon.

You misunderstand. Dark already has an opposite. It is the type of cheaters. Biting someone can hardly be considered a fair tactic. Neither can running after a fleeing opponent. Springing an ambush as the foe's about to attack? Stealing their weapon? Hardly fair. Calling them names? Preventing them from getting help?

The opposite of the dark type is the fair and just duelists; The Fighting type.

You misunderstand. Dark already has an opposite. It is the type of cheaters. Biting someone can hardly be considered a fair tactic. Neither can running after a fleeing opponent. Springing an ambush as the foe's about to attack? Stealing their weapon? Hardly fair. Calling them names? Preventing them from getting help?

So far this has been the best argument to counter Dark types and creating the Light type to do so. Never thought of it that way. Although I think it would be great to have a new type in the lineup, creating new strategies, creating a plotline involving a final clash between light and darkness (good vs evil) and stuff but I also think that's it's not necessary.. I'm on either side actually.

It's true. Dark has represented nasty fighting and dirty tactics. But then, there's moves like Dark Pulse. What does that have to do with trickery? Nintendo and GF are finally tapping into Dark's name - DARK. Dark Pulse is a move based on actual darkness - not foul play. Why can't Dark start embodying darkness? And if it does, why shouldn't there be a Light Type to counteract it?

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
It's true. Dark has represented nasty fighting and dirty tactics. But then, there's moves like Dark Pulse. What does that have to do with trickery? Nintendo and GF are finally tapping into Dark's name - DARK. Dark Pulse is a move based on actual darkness - not foul play. Why can't Dark start embodying darkness? And if it does, why shouldn't there be a Light Type to counteract it?

its imbuned with dark thoughts, so like it releases a sudden wave of "IMMA RAPE U!!!!", and no its not based on darkness. Its an aura filled with dark thoughts, it can almost be thought of the evil form of aura sphere. we cant make a type based off of something that isnt to be. thats like saying lets make a floating type because rock obviously means gravity.

Solrock as a Light type? Seriously?

Fun fact: Lunatone isn't Dark type. And if it were, Solrock would be part Fire, since the sun is a giant ball of fire, not light.

@Arceus:
I can see Fire and Electric being close to a Light type, but not as one, Fire and Electric only create light they are, not Light, that is like saying, Ghost, Water (through Cloud Cover), Steel, Rock, and Ground could be Dark, they are mostly in caves (which are dark) and can be a black/brown (dark) color.

^See? Big ball of fire only creates "light they are," as he puts it, and the sun's a pretty big ball of fire, so of course it's gonna provide a lot of light.

Anyway... it's disliked because there's no need for it... Dark isn't literally night time, it's more... evilish. And there's already a type that kinda represents heroics (Fighting.) Besides, you don't see Japanese kids whining "why isn't there a good type? They need a good type!" The types we have now are fine.

Last edited:

Josiah

is your favorite
think about what moves could be light type.
flash
not many moves,is it?
now think about Pokemon that could be light type.
Ampharos ;181;
Solrock ;338;
not many Pokemon either.
so,what is the point in light type?
If it's based on light and not good, then you could make all sorts of moves based on rainbows, prisms, lasers, etc.

Volbeat and Illumise could finally get that second type they're practically begging for, Chinchou and Lantern could switch in their Electric type for Light and be replaced by an electric eel, something that actually uses electricity.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Personally, I think there is no point in having "Light" type. I can understand that it could coincide with the dark type but I think they should have made light a type back in the 2nd gen when they added Dark and Steel types if they ever thought about it. It would just complicate things when it is not even needed.

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
If it's based on light and not good, then you could make all sorts of moves based on rainbows, prisms, lasers, etc.

Volbeat and Illumise could finally get that second type they're practically begging for, Chinchou and Lantern could switch in their Electric type for Light and be replaced by an electric eel, something that actually uses electricity.
illumise doesnt make light and people will most definitly hate lanturn loosing its special edge over some crappy light type. btw, because its light, you cant use lasers, thatd be going into a different sector of the em scale.

"Ho-Oh used rainbow on Lugia, Its SUPER EFFECTIVE!!! ah! it just couldnt stand the assult of colors delivered by Ho-Oh and goes down!"

yeeeeah, i cant imagine something like that happening in the next pokemon collaseam.

Josiah

is your favorite
illumise doesnt make light and people will most definitly hate lanturn loosing its special edge over some crappy light type. btw, because its light, you cant use lasers, thatd be going into a different sector of the em scale.

"Ho-Oh used rainbow on Lugia, Its SUPER EFFECTIVE!!! ah! it just couldnt stand the assult of colors delivered by Ho-Oh and goes down!"

yeeeeah, i cant imagine something like that happening in the next pokemon collaseam.
So if a laser isn't light, why can you see it?

"Squirtle used bubble on Charmander, Its SUPER EFFECTIVE!!! ah!"

I can do it too.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
Ok not to cause any confusion here. But isnt Light type Psychic type in Japan? I mean it destroys Ghost. Fighting cant fight when there is too much light? Idk guys just discuss. I aways thought it was

They dislike it 'cause people just suck.

thomas477

Johto Trainer
Ok not to cause any confusion here. But isnt Light type Psychic type in Japan? I mean it destroys Ghost. Fighting cant fight when there is too much light? Idk guys just discuss. I aways thought it was

Most likely. Look at its strengths and weaknesses. Its strong against fighting (mind over braun) and poison (LIGHT/GOODNESS heals poison) and its weak vs Bug (little bugs generally scare people, meaning less concentration), Dark (LIGHT cant penetrate darkness) and Ghost (see before reason)

Now look at a specific example:

Solrock -> i know that they can levitate etc (examples of psy power) but really, a pokemon which is in the shape of a SUN, would be the prime candiate for a so-called light type? I doubt they will, because theyare already rock/PSYCHIC.

So its obvious that while there arent many examples of existing "possible light" pokemon, it is also obvious that Psychic while also containing the typic psychic things, ie mind tricks, it also encompasses the obvious light examples to which we are already knowledgeable.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
Most likely. Look at its strengths and weaknesses. Its strong against fighting (mind over braun) and poison (LIGHT/GOODNESS heals poison) and its weak vs Bug (little bugs generally scare people, meaning less concentration), Dark (LIGHT cant penetrate darkness) and Ghost (see before reason)

Now look at a specific example:

Solrock -> i know that they can levitate etc (examples of psy power) but really, a pokemon which is in the shape of a SUN, would be the prime candiate for a so-called light type? I doubt they will, because theyare already rock/PSYCHIC.

So its obvious that while there arent many examples of existing "possible light" pokemon, it is also obvious that Psychic while also containing the typic psychic things, ie mind tricks, it also encompasses the obvious light examples to which we are already knowledgeable.

Thanks for that. So now for sure there will not be a Light type because psychic is really the "light" type. For the record I do not think any new types will happen

Cutty

Forever now
I agree w/ some of opinions before me. 'Light' is too general in concept.
But we can also include some pokemon w/ normal type in 'light', like Togekiss for having white color.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
What would being 'Light' type entail, specifically?

I assume the developers are sticking with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' policy when it comes to the type balancing. Adding a 'Light' type would be detrimental to that, plus, there's no real need for it to exist (of course you could say that about a lot of things in the game, but that doesn't make it any less credible of a reason). The Dark and Steel types were only introduced to help the imbalances of the first generation, especially with the Psychic type.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
I almost lost hope for this thread untill:

The reason a light type is not needed is because you're not understanding what dark types are suppose to represent: Sneaky, Dirty, Cheating Fighters.

Exactly this.

To further comment, Pokemon has always tried to avoid being "magical" (I know what you're thinking an bear with me here.) hence their referred to as "Types" and not "Elements".
Everything a Pokemon can do is meant to be something it can physically do, albeit with exagerration. For example, Shock Wave - A lot of creatures can build up static electricity, Pokemon found a way to release that as a defense mechanism.
Because they're supposed to be hyper-realistic real life animal counterparts, they can't all walk around doing magic. (Ghosts are an "exception" purely because they're ghosts. They are what they are and they're supposed to be different- to everything else.")

"Light" type, in the way most people seem to want it, sounds like something too fantastical, too magical, too Yu-Gi-Oh. We don't have zombie Pokemon or Pokemon wielding demonic hell-powers.

The legendaries are obviously some sort of exception to this as well, as they're supposed to represent deities of a sort, and therefore get a bit more exagerration.

I'm not saying it's perfectly done, but that's how Pokemon rolls. You need only know how it started, and to just look a bit at it to see that.

Josiah

is your favorite
Whenever Light type is brought up, people lump two different concepts together. 'Light' in the physical sense and 'Light' in the philosophical sense (probably would be better called Good type). The first one is the better option I think.

Yay for ignored post since it was so close to the bottom of the last page... anyway:

Volbeat = Fire/Bug with Levitate (Firefly)
Illumise = Electric/Bug with Levitate (Lightningbug)

That's assuming they get evos. And what's wrong with the typing of Chinchou and Lanturn? Electricity lights up darkness that deep in the ocean, their types are fine. They don't need to be "replaced" by an eel. Seriously, we don't need a Light type.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
You know, I'm neutral on this. I don't think it will happen, but I feel the idea has its merits too. I just prefer to stay out of it. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.