• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
What if it becomes Grass/Electric.

It seems to use sound in some way, and electricity has plenty of ties to sound.

greninjamaster

I think the thing about Sobble being Water/Ghost cause he disappears is lame. He's clearly using Acid Armor which Vaporeon uses and is not a a Ghost type.

My realistic expectations are Sobble will evolve into some sort of Loch-ness esque type Water/Dragon
Grookey will evolve into a Grass/Dark
And Scorbunny will be the Delphox/Primarina and be the feminine one of the trio this generation and be Fire/Fairy

XXD17

Draco rex
Grookey I can see being grass/fighting or grass/rock. It could evolve into a type of ancient hominid or ape like Gigantopithecus since the way it wears that stick in its hair is kind of caveman-esque. It could end up wielding a club or something.

Scorbunny I want to see fire/ electric since it's based on a soccer player and will probably focus on speed.

Sobble I see the most potential in and I want it to be a water/ghost where it evolves into a Loch Ness monster mixed with a viking ship, the kind with a curly stern and a dragon head on the bow. The little fin on it head reminds me of a toy sailboat and the final evo will have huge fins that look like ship sails. The haunted boat theme fits perfectly with it invisibility quirk where it can mysteriously disappear into the mist.

Here's a follow up to my Sobble prediction with some concept art: https://www.deviantart.com/xxd17/art/Project-Fakemon-Sobble-final-evolution-787680796

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The bittersweet time period where we get some genuinely good predictions but knowing the actual result is not designed at all how people expect them to be so they instantly deem them as trash

Acer11

I think the thing about Sobble being Water/Ghost cause he disappears is lame. He's clearly using Acid Armor which Vaporeon uses and is not a a Ghost type.

My realistic expectations are Sobble will evolve into some sort of Loch-ness esque type Water/Dragon
Grookey will evolve into a Grass/Dark
And Scorbunny will be the Delphox/Primarina and be the feminine one of the trio this generation and be Fire/Fairy
Of course, We don't know yet on Scorbunny's final evolution, and Scorbunny would be the speedy starter, so the final evolution would have traits of a tomboy soccer girl.

Runelore

Looking at the names to see if they gives us any clues about typing. The music theme could go with a few types, like rock/fairy? The Meson subatomic particle thing is probably a stretch, or even if it was named after this it might not be a reference to the Pokemon's typing, if it were I might think steel or electric due to high-tech theme.

English Name:
Grookey
Japanese Name: Sarunori
Meaning:
As many have pointed out, Grookey's name across multiple languages seems to have a language theme. In English, it's likely short for groove monkey. In Japanese Saru means monkey, and nori is a musical term 'riding'. Possibly a music/dance theme.

English Name: Sobble
Japanese Name: Meson
Meaning:
Sobble I have no idea, sob + bubble. The Japanese name, Meson, is a member of a family of subatomic particles. Predicted theoretically in 1935 by the Japanese physicist Yukawa Hideki, the existence was confirmed in 1947 by a team led by English physicist Cecil Frank Powell. Here we see a Japanese/UK connection, could just be coincidence.
- https://www.britannica.com/science/meson

English Name: Scorbunny
Japanese Name: Hibburny
Meaning:
Scorch+bunny, this name doesn't seem to really have any hidden clues. Not sure if the Japanese name does either.

supersarepi

Looking at the names to see if they gives us any clues about typing. The music theme could go with a few types, like rock/fairy? The Meson subatomic particle thing is probably a stretch, or even if it was named after this it might not be a reference to the Pokemon's typing, if it were I might think steel or electric due to high-tech theme.

English Name:
Grookey
Japanese Name: Sarunori
Meaning:
As many have pointed out, Grookey's name across multiple languages seems to have a language theme. In English, it's likely short for groove monkey. In Japanese Saru means monkey, and nori is a musical term 'riding'. Possibly a music/dance theme.

English Name: Sobble
Japanese Name: Meson
Meaning:
Sobble I have no idea, sob + bubble. The Japanese name, Meson, is a member of a family of subatomic particles. Predicted theoretically in 1935 by the Japanese physicist Yukawa Hideki, the existence was confirmed in 1947 by a team led by English physicist Cecil Frank Powell. Here we see a Japanese/UK connection, could just be coincidence.
- https://www.britannica.com/science/meson

English Name: Scorbunny
Japanese Name: Hibburny
Meaning:
Scorch+bunny, this name doesn't seem to really have any hidden clues. Not sure if the Japanese name does either.

Scorbunny’s Japanese name can also be written as “Hibani”, which is similar to “hibana”, meaning spark. Possible part-Electric type?

Sobble

Merchandise monster
I predict that sobble will have a evolution line like Eevee and ralts because sobble best gen 8 pokemon

Nodame

Misty <3
Actually, I think that's just so the three pink blobs from Gen 1 had differences. Clefairy became pure Fairy, Jiggly puff got it as a secondary type, and Chansey remained a pure Normal.

As for my hopes,

I want Scorbunny to turn into a Fire/Fairy type called Hareburrow. It'd be a pun on Scarborough and would also reference the fairy mounds from Ireland. Plus, the moon is associated with both the Fairy type and rabbits.

Grookey is "groom + root + monkey", so I can't see any secondary type at the moment.

Wonder if they'll go for the gorilla route since orangutan has already been done.

Sobble will probably end up either a real dragon or a Komodo dragon.
No, it’s becauee Clefairy looks the most Fairy out of the “pink blobs”, so they kept it pure Fairy.

Kirby Dragons

Grookey is gonna be a drummer with two log drumsticks.

Scorbunny might become a soccer player.

Have no idea what Sobble becomes, if anything.

DannyDark

Scorbunny will end up as Lola Bunny from Space Jam.

Super pretentious point, but do remember that it's football over here and not soccer.

B. Thunder Tiger

Here's a new idea. Having seen that fighter jet evo of Scorbunny (looks pretty cool), which is likely fake as most say (I'm not so sure about that myself), what if the final evos of the starters had to do with advancement of various vehicular industries? I came with the idea, as I recently saw XXD17 concept art of what Sobble's final evo could be like, and I like it a lot.

So for example:
1. Scorbunny Evo (Fighter Jet - Harrier) (imagine if it was real)
2. Sobble (Sail Boat)
3. Grookey (either a train like form, or a automobile)

How would that sound?

Last edited:

DSDark

Breeder
I hope Scorbunny’s evolutions be on the feminine side cuz I’m naming mine Lola :3

We already have feminine fire starter, Delphox. So I really hope no. I would like Scrobunny to be natural

KKS-Lapras

This is made by Matt4265 from DeviantArt
sobble_fake_evolutions_by_mat4265_dd0uue1-fullview.jpg

I don't expect this is the direction the final evolution will go, but if it did, could be Water/Poison, or less likely Water/Dragon. I still lean towards Water/Ghost though.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Here is a thought. And I need to find someone to draw it cause it's too fun to leave as simple words.

Grookey is possibly based on a type of squirrel monkey. What if it evolves into a middle stage based on a spider monkey, and then it's final form is a Grass/Bug spider/monkey.

KKS-Lapras

Here is a thought. And I need to find someone to draw it cause it's too fun to leave as simple words.

Grookey is possibly based on a type of squirrel monkey. What if it evolves into a middle stage based on a spider monkey, and then it's final form is a Grass/Bug spider/monkey.

I'm not a talented enough artist, and I doubt this is the direction they will go, but it would be incredibly unique if they did something even remotely like what you described.

Kirby Dragons

Scorbunny could end up as Fire/Fighting, though a soccer player wouldn't get a Fighting-type IMO.

Poison makes sense for Sobble.

A drummer evolution for Grookey doesn't warrant a second type, unless Sound-type is added.