• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I remember thinking that Ash would face Iris in the Opelucid Gym back when BW began. I'm kind of sad that this didn't happen since Iris wasn't a Gym Leader in the cartoon.

Eh, Ash was better off battling Roxie for his last badge IMO. Him fighting Iris would have added unneeded tension and fueled more Iris hate.

Spyro39

Eh, Ash was better off battling Roxie for his last badge IMO. Him fighting Iris would have added unneeded tension and fueled more Iris hate.

What would've caused more tension and hate if Ash and Iris had fought each other in a gym battle? The fact that Ash would've beaten Iris or vice-versa?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Iris was handled well for the most part, although her team had a streak of disobedience issues. I didn't like that Kibago remained un-evolved either, but I suppose him evolving was unlikely once he started copying Pochama and becoming a second Pikachu.

Janovy

Banned
What would've caused more tension and hate if Ash and Iris had fought each other in a gym battle? The fact that Ash would've beaten Iris or vice-versa?
Ash beating Iris would have probably lessened the tension, if anything.

After all, Iris defeated Ash but Ash never got to defeat Iris. It's a shame that the two didn't have one final battle at the end of the series.

Spyro39

Ash beating Iris would have probably lessened the tension, if anything.

After all, Iris defeated Ash but Ash never got to defeat Iris. It's a shame that the two didn't have one final battle at the end of the series.

Ash did defeat Iris, in the Junior Cup tournament when his Krokorok evolved into Krookodile and defeated Iris's rampaging Dragonite. And yes, they should've capped off their farewell with one final battle like he did with May and Clemont.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Ash did defeat Iris, in the Junior Cup tournament when his Krokorok evolved into Krookodile and defeated Iris's rampaging Dragonite. And yes, they should've capped off their farewell with one final battle like he did with May and Clemont.
Oh crap. I TOTALLY forgot that.

But yes, a final battle would have been nice. Oh well.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I didn't like that Kibago remained un-evolved either, but I suppose him evolving was unlikely once he started copying Pochama and becoming a second Pikachu.

I've heard that they wanted to evolve him but that animating either Fraxure or Haxorus was a pain which would obviously be a problem since he's never in his PokeBall and Iris probably couldn't carry them in her hair anyway.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I remember some people being salty that she beat Ash. Figures, people love to complain about him but when their complaints have a voice, they bash that character shouting baseless accusations like "Abuse!" and "What a b****!" Iris is the only girl of all the Pokegirls so far (excluding the SM Pokegirls) who treats him like her equal and doesn't admire him.

And no, she had reason to call him a kid when she did and majority of it was teasing. She never saw him as lower than her nor treated him like dirt. She would've left him to die if she really could care less about him.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I remember some people being salty that she beat Ash. Figures, people love to complain about him but when their complaints have a voice, they bash that character shouting baseless accusations like "Abuse!" and "What a b****!" Iris is probably the only girl of all the Pokegirls so far (excluding the SM Pokegirls) who treats him like her equal and doesn't admire him.

And no, she had reason to call him a kid when she did and majority of it was teasing. She never saw him as lower than her nor treated him like dirt. She would've left him to die if she really could care less about him.
Nah, there's Dawn too :p
I actually loved the fact that she beat Ash to be completely honest. I wish some of the other female companions could beat him as well.

Spyro39

I remember some people being salty that she beat Ash. Figures, people love to complain about him but when their complaints have a voice, they bash that character shouting baseless accusations like "Abuse!" and "What a b****!" Iris is the only girl of all the Pokegirls so far (excluding the SM Pokegirls) who treats him like her equal and doesn't admire him.

Nah, there's Dawn too :p
I actually loved the fact that she beat Ash to be completely honest. I wish some of the other female companions could beat him as well.

Man, the volatility of Iris's haters. Anyone is free to criticize Iris (and any character) for her flaws, but insulting her with names like "b****" is going way too far. Fictional or not, this is a 10 year old girl her haters are lashing out on.

And yeah. Just because Iris doesn't admire him like his other friends doesn't mean she can't be his friend too. Not every character needs to look up to Ash like he's their role model to be his friend.

Last edited:

satopi

I know some people would call Dawn and May a hoe because one wears a very short skirt and the other had big boobs. Then Serena was called a Mary Sue a few times. I actually like it that Iris actually looks, sounds, and acts like a 10 year old wild girl. It's fresh to hear a high pitched, childlike voice than hearing a mature woman voice coming out of supposed 10 year olds lol. Poor Aoi Yuuki looks and sounds like a kid despite being 25 this year. :p

I love on how unique Iris' backstory is. She doesn't have parents, she lives in a Dragon village headed by a female where people and dragons coexist (sort of like Alola), she became overly confident by her 100 wins as a very young girl, still physically takes on dangerous Pokémon and is quite agile, and even though she did go through schooling for a little bit or likes shopping, she's in tune with nature like Arti and believes in spiritual, psychological beliefs and has a sixth sense. And she catches more than just Dragon Pokémon, not even going the stereotypical route of befriending a Dragon Pokémon which inspired her dream of becoming a Dragon Master but a deep connection to a non Dragon Pokémon and became assigned to a baby Dragon Pokémon thus choosing the path of a Dragon Master by her birthright and also has a chance of becoming a Gym Leader, surpassing Drayden if she wanted to.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Him fighting Iris would have added unneeded tension and fueled more Iris hate.

I suppose that Iris defeating Ash might have had that kind of impact, tho I'm sure that if Ash had battled Iris for the Legend badge, he would've won any ways. Perhaps them battling at the gym was originally planned and the writing staff scrapped it once they found out about B2/W2. ^^

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic

The fact that they'd fight at all IMO, especially since I'm sure that Iris would've been hyped up a lot prior to them battling, which would have upset many fans who might've wanted to see Ash get hyped up, instead.

DatsRight

Also Charizard blatantly had control over Dragonite in their match (and Ash even added salt to the wound by correcting Iris' type flub).

Seriously, Iris did get lots of ego checks to balance her smart alec moments and Ash usually was the one to bear witness to them, I don't think it hurt to have some occasions she could match up to her bluster (at least in cases she wasn't acting like a jackass about it). Had they not blatantly lobotomised Ash at the start of BW it may have made them seem pretty equal.

I admit a gym match might have been fun if handled well, and had it demonstrated all they learned from each other by that point, could have well displayed their respect for each other as trainers.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The fact that they'd fight at all IMO, especially since I'm sure that Iris would've been hyped up a lot prior to them battling, which would have upset many fans who might've wanted to see Ash get hyped up, instead.

No one seemed mad when Clemont suddenly gained alot of hype leading to his gym match with Ash during X&Y, so I doubt that it would've been a problem if Iris had gotten that kind of exposure during BW if she and Ash had had a gym battle.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
No one seemed mad when Clemont suddenly gained alot of hype leading to his gym match with Ash during X&Y, so I doubt that it would've been a problem if Iris had gotten that kind of exposure during BW if she and Ash had had a gym battle.

That's different. Clemont was never universally hated since he kissed up to Ash frequently and was practically his second biggest fan, while Iris got hate from fans each time she was on-screen. So apples and oranges.

DatsRight

I remember a lot of fans complaining that Ash was so overpowered by that point in XY that it actually made Clemont feel like the clear underdog. It was an interesting sympathetic perspective, making the gym leader go out of his way to prepare and be aware of how powerful his opponent was.

LagMaster

Alot of ppl don't like her cuz they think she's mean for calling ash a kid all the time. It didn't really brother me, just seemed like some older sister teasing or like misty but less psychical xD. I don't mind Iris much, but I don't like bossy know it all characters. I think it was also because Cilan was there. if it was Brock I'm sure she wouldn't have got so much backlash here in America.

satopi

Thinking a character is "mean" for calling another character a kid when they are is really childish and stupid. Wow, some people really are petty er,... I meant "sensitive".

"I'm gonna hate on this character because she's MEAN!" :p

DatsRight

Not exactly mean, but I suppose it makes her a smartass at times, which is a trait many find insufferable in excess.

Still Misty and Bonnie got away with being even bigger more insulting smartasses than Iris.

Status
Not open for further replies.