• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Languages.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
i speak english (obviously) and speak spanish pretty well. my vocabulary is still a bit limited but i can understand people and can usually get across what i want to say. it's pretty useful here, but i wish i spoke more. i would want to learn mandarin since that's probably the 3rd most useful language here after english and spanish, but i have picked up some books just for the speaking part, not even writing, and it is reeeeeeally challenging.

xEryChan

Demon Child
My first language is English but due to the fact that I work in a school where minorities, blacks and hispanics, make up majority of the student body, I've been picking up on Spanish. I don't speak it fluently but I'm learning it.

Also, my aunt is from Panama and she's been trying to teach me Spanish.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Obviously I have English down, and through school I took six years of French, so I would say I'm pretty solid with that language as well. Not much else though. I kinda want to learn Spanish just for its practicality. I've been picking some up from the Spanish people that I work with, but not a whole bunch. The only language my college offers is Chinese, so maybe I'll take that class sometime down the road.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I speak English, Spanish, French, Vietnamese, Chinese, Dutch, and a little bit of Italian.

I said I can speak them, I can't actually write in any of those languages but English and Spanish.

I speak Spanish and English!! i understand english more tbh tho haha... i know soommme japanese and im learning french this year!

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I used to be pretty good at Japanese. I took four semesters of it at community college and even participated in a couple of speech competitions. I've been out of practice for several years though since life kind of took over and I didn't have much opportunity to use it. I'd like to pick it back up in the near future. Aside from that, I don't speak any other languages besides English.

Ampharosity

Electric Enthusiast
I can speak fluent English and conversational Japanese. Japanese is such a fun language to learn for anyone looking to learn a new dialect.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I primarily know English, but I know some Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) and Japanese.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Neat thread; it's great seeing what languages others know!

I speak/read/write in English primarily, but can also speak, read, and write in semi-fluent Spanish after five years of classes. I can roughly read and understand Greek and Latin, and I can speak and read a bit of Japanese thanks to my roommate (but only when they're spelled out, ie. 'arigato' but not Kanji, Katakana, or Hiragana, sadly). If it counts, I'm vaguely familiar with some French and Italian words and pronunciations, but am by no means skilled at these. I wish the U.S public school system valued language more and introduced it at a lower grade level. As an adult now it's difficult to pick up a new language without dedicating a massive amount of time or resources I don't necessarily have. That said, I would love to learn to speak Greek and read Hebrew someday if I am able to find a good program.

Kopis

Unaccompanied Minior
I grew up speaking English, but I also learned Spanish in high school and I'm trying to teach myself Chinese.

ubernerd37

Pokémon Breeder
I speak English and a bit of French too. Recently I've been going back to French more and trying to learn Spanish. I would love to learn Japanese when I have the time, so if anyone knows of some good resources for beginners it'd be a big help.