• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Languages.

Hey. I was just curious as to what languages everyone speaks here, and to perhaps have this as a thread where we can discuss language/languages as a subject in general, and help other people that are trying to learn a new language if they have questions.

I only speak my native tongue English, but I've been really trying really hard to learn Spanish. I downloaded duolingo which has been a pretty helpful app, but I'm currently struggling a lot trying to nail down Spanish conjugation. I was told Spanish is supposed to be one of the easier languages to learn, but it definitely doesn't feel like it. I think one of the hardest things to get used to is the fact that you can't just literally translate what you know in your native tongue over to the language you're trying to learn. For example, "Como pan" made absolutely no sense to me because it literally translates to "eat bread" in English. Anyways, I'm mainly interested in Spanish because it has so much practical use. If I can master Spanish, I want to try my hand at a more fun but less useful language, like Hebrew or Gaelic. I also think the bonuses of boosted brain health and a second personality are kind of cool. :p

Last edited:

Tenmashi

I only speak English and Dutch.

Gengarite X

Dutch is my mother tongue and I'm a sales advisor for the German department of my company, so I speak German fluently as well. Other languages I speak are English, French and I'm following a course for Spanish.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I speak English and basic to intermediate french. Not fluent but enough to work where I work and get around. Also took spanish in school so i have my basic understanding

Psychic

Really and truly
I grew up learning English, French, Hebrew and Yiddish. My French is at a conversational level, but my Hebrew and Yiddish both suck, even when I lived in Israel for a few months.

There was just no way to properly learn that many languages in the amount of time we had and with the curriculum my teachers used. I wish I was a bilingual English/French speaker, but alas. Knowing multiple languages is definitely beneficial, but it's way easier if you start young.

~Psychic

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I can only speak English. My dad knows some German, and my sister has learned some Chinese

Zora

perpetually tired
English is my native language; in high school (and a year of college) studied Latin. My Latin's very rusty--don't remember a whole lot of vocabularly besides the important ones and barely remember any of the inflections (i.e. declensions and conjugations) by heart any more :v

Haven't ever tried learning another language, mostly because I have so much else to study :/

Silence27trey

I have an Abra who's nicknamed in Japanese characters and was wondering if anyone could translate for me..it's written in symbols and I would like to know the worded Japanese name and what it means in English. I would greatly appreciate it!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Surely a New Zealander knows a bit of Maori too?

Hey, I'm from New Zealand and I don't know a thing about Maori. The loudness of it scares me

I can speak 18 different languages. I made 14 of those languages up myself, though.

Ascended Dialga

My main language is English. I took four years of French in school, and I can read and write it pretty well. However, I still have difficulty in listening to someone speak it; it has a lot of silent letters and different words that sound alike, so it can be hard to mentally spell out what they're saying. I've also studied a little bit of Italian and Portuguese on the side out of curiosity.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I can only speak English fluently. I used to be fluent in French, but it's pretty rusty nowadays. I'm thinking about re-learning it, though.

Skygge

I can speak both English and Spanish. Spanish is my first language, and I learned English when I was in grade school.