• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't think MEs are anywhere near one of those problems. If anything it was an attempt at fixing somethings that needed to be fixed. In some cases, it did quite well actually.
He stated they're going to try and make it simple again. That doesn't mean they'll be removing MEs, MEs are actually quite simple.
What I gather is that they will go back and remove things that don't need to be there. We don't need two abilities that do the same thing. We don't need 4 moves that do nothing but lower the attack stat. They serve no purpose. Them giving so many pokes a "signature move" this gen was frankly dumb. Topsy Turvy and Parting shot are prime examples of such. The two Pokes that learn those moves, competitively speaking, aren't good.

I don't think "fixing" their problems consists of removing MEs from the game entirely. In some cases, they made some Pokemon viable again (Ampharos, Kangaskhan, and Pinsir). If they were to take them away, so many Pokes would drop in usage all over again. Why would they do that. . ?

You do realize you're giving examples of removing stuff from the games while keeping MEs around, right?

So what? All of a sudden mega evos are removed from future titles? I seriously doubt that. That's just not goin to happen dude

I asked myself the same question when Contests were removed. We got Musicals, and most people didn't like those.

That might happen, "dude." I'm not saying it will.

You do realize you're giving examples of removing stuff from the games while keeping MEs around, right?

You do realize there's a HUGE difference between redundant moves and Mega Evolutions right?

I asked myself the same question when Contests were removed. We got Musicals, and most people didn't like those.

That might happen, "dude." I'm not saying it will.

Contests weren't detrimental to the effectiveness of Pokemon. Contests were side mini-games, nothing more. Mega evolutions are detrimental to the main point in the game. Battling.

They're two completely different things.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

That might happen, "dude."

I think you know and I know that there's a difference between removing a mini-game and retconning out a fully designed, half evolution/half form for about 30 Pokemon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You do realize there's a HUGE difference between redundant moves and Mega Evolutions right?

It takes a little change to make a huge difference just as simple as adding a single move.

I think you know and I know that there's a difference between removing a mini-game and retconning out a fully designed, half evolution/half form for about 30 Pokemon.

I know that. Hence why I said "might."

It takes a little change to make a huge difference just as simple as adding a single move.

Removing a mechanic like MEs is not little change. What you're telling me, is they "might" make Pinsir good for only X/Y? Does that really sound right to you?
That's like saying they're going to remove Gliscor and all the other "rehash'd" Pokemon introduced in Fourth Gen.

I think it's safe to say, Mega Evolutions aren't going anywhere.

Armored Mewtwo

Unrepentant Pokefan
I imagine with some certainty that the problem of increasing complexity in Pokemon that the devs keep dealing with is the problem of items, evo methods, and things. It requires each successive game to have everything each previous incarnation had.

I don't think megalution is in any danger.

R_N

They've already put the time, money and effort into designing them, they're being used, they're honestly not being trashed and the various developers are clearly somewhat excited about the prospect of using megas in the future
It'd be as ridiculous to do as, say, getting rid of Fairy type. Or to limit the scope a little, all formes, especially the legendaries.

I think even if it was absolutely trashed from every angle, they wouldn't get rid of some thing major to the battling aspect, they'd either rework it &/or cease making new ones.

View attachment 11151

Has this picture been discussed? What do people think of it? Real/Fake?

Pretty sure fake http://ambientkaiga.deviantart.com/art/Arceus-Crystal-Power-Makeup-408835659

Rio!

Composer
Unfortunately, this really doesn't mean it will stay forever either. This is a testing ground of sorts for the developers to expand upon if it's necessary. Besides, since this mechanic was recently discovered to be in Kalos only and not the whole world (unless Xerneas/Yveltal's power stretched everywhere), they might abandon the idea. I know there's a large bunch of people who know very well Mega Evolutions pretty much canned future evolutions for old Pokemon whose names aren't Eevee. Now everyone is forced to say "I wonder who's getting a new Mega Evolution!" instead of the usual "I wonder who's getting an evolution!"

You never wondered why we never had Contests make a comeback in Gen V after two gens? That's far low in the scale of important things, but you never know.

Pretty much this. I have to admit that even though using them is pretty entertaining, I'd still rather a lot of these Pokemon *that aren't Gengar, Lucario, Blaziken, and another I can't quite think of off the top of my head* receive pre-evolutions/evolutions *lookin' at you Kangaskhan and Mawile* rather than only mega-evolving during battle. It makes me wonder too if GF ever plans on going 'all or nothing' for the rest of the Pokemon in the Dex.

DanteKoriyu

thought the would not make one, one of his gimmicks are the plates that change his type they would have to get rid of that to make it work and I don't see them doing that ever

They could easily give him a new ability upon receiving a Mega Evolution. Maybe something that allows him to gain access to all the types in the game and then cycle through them one by one after every turn.

Not saying that would be the best option or what would be likely to happen, but it is an option nonetheless. So they wouldn't be forced to abandon his gimmick; they could just tweak it a bit.

Aegislash

So bored.
They could easily give him a new ability upon receiving a Mega Evolution. Maybe something that allows him to gain access to all the types in the game and then cycle through them one by one after every turn.

Not saying that would be the best option or what would be likely to happen, but it is an option nonetheless. So they wouldn't be forced to abandon his gimmick; they could just tweak it a bit.
I could just imagine it:
Mega Arceus
Ability: Decapitator (Turns Judgement into the type that would do the most damage to opposing pokemon) (or something like that)

legendarytrainer123

Happy Holidays!
I could just imagine it:
Mega Arceus
Ability: Decapitator (Turns Judgement into the type that would do the most damage to opposing pokemon) (or something like that)

How about the ability makes Judgement the type its Hidden Power is.

Doctorwho2011

League Champion
I dont see Mega Evolution being deleted in future gens but I would like to see them not use it on Pokemon that were already powerful enough (Gengar, Alakazam, Garchomp, ect...) but instead use it on ones that need a boost to actually be useful (Tropius, Sableye, Farfetch'd, ect...)

Firebrand

Indomitable
Not that I support the idea of them getting removed, but Masuda did say that the next new game is going to try to fix a lot of problems. I wonder what he really means by that statement.

Not that I don't believe you (quite the opposite), but I'm curious as to what source you're quoting. I haven't exactly been keeping myself in the loop, but I also haven't heard about any Masuda press releases.

DanteKoriyu

Not that I don't believe you (quite the opposite), but I'm curious as to what source you're quoting. I haven't exactly been keeping myself in the loop, but I also haven't heard about any Masuda press releases.

I think they are confusing it with Sugimori's statement on the matter:

In the magazine “We Love Pokémon”, Game Freak's Ken Sugimori commented on the seventh generation of Pokémon.

When asked what the next generation of Pokémon games will be like if such a plan exists, Sugimori commented that they will not add more layers of complexity, but rather revert back to simplicity, in part by using elements found in Pokémon Red and Green. Therefore, there is now speculation that Game Freak may opt for this route in developing Generation VII.

As a side note, not only the number of games, but also the number of Pokémon, moves, abilities, items, etc. increase as each new generation is introduced, to such a degree that is difficult to remember all of them. It is impossible to decrease the amount of Pokémon, and such a move is assumed to be uncalled for, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

Also, Sugimori thought that other than the content of the game, Pokémon designs could probably be simplified, as well. As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.

laceromuvo

Photo-0182.jpg hi there people, i just wanted to upload an image of something that... must be like a Mega-Xerneas or something. i just caugth it.... on my freaking FIRST TRY!!!, its modest, and if someone hasnt calculated it, it has 5 of 6 IVs on 31. it has 4 EP on attack because i used it to kill lysandre's mienshao and honckrow, then mega gyarados killed me and i respawned on the pokecenter. i checked on various iv calculators because i couldnt believe it when i first saw the results on the serebii calculator....
i still have my 3ds turned on, i feel like if i turn it off, it will someway disappear or something.

Last edited:

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
View attachment 11153 hi there people, i just wanted to upload an image of something that... must be like a Mega-Xerneas or something. i just caugth it.... on my freaking FIRST TRY!!!, its modest, and if someone hasnt calculated it, it has 5 of 6 IVs on 31. it has 4 EP on attack because i used it to kill lysandre's mienshao and honckrow, then mega gyarados killed me and i respawned on the pokecenter. i checked on various iv calculators because i couldnt believe it when i first saw the results on the serebii calculator....
i still have my 3ds turned on, i feel like if i turn it off, it will someway disappear or something.

isn't that just Xerneas in its other form?...

legendarytrainer123

Happy Holidays!
Don't you think it would be a good idea to give a Pokemon like Dunsparce to have a mega-evolution? All of that fanart going around can be its mega because it hasn't even gotten an evolution yet. Now that mega-evolution is out, weak Pokemon like him could get one seeing how they haven't gotten an evolution yet, it's not happening soon. Besides, mega-evolving is new, so these Pokemon have a chance. Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.