• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake279

Ice Master
Honestly, I'm liking megaevolutions less and less. They're giving them to already powerful pokemon that don't need them rather than pokemon that could use a boost both in power and visual design.

Mawile and Lucario are the only truly great looking ones if you ask me. Kanto starters, Mewtwo and Garchomp megas look less cool than the originals. Either make them look better or don't bother.

Pokemon that actually need megas would be...

Cacturne (Cooler design, better stats including speed. Maybe huge power ability)
Serviper (Fairy's weakness to poison could give Serviper it's time in the spotlight. Attack boost)
Fearow (Get it up to par with other flyers)
Kabutops (One of the coolest pokemon designs, needs more love plus one fossil should gain a mega)
Sunflora (Becomes grass/fire type. Huge special attack boost. New ability. Visually taller and cooler)
Masquerain (Gains water typing and huge stats boost. Design becomes more elegant)
Stunfisk (Get's larger and more stingray like. Huge special attack and speed boosts. New ability)

They should be giving megas to weaker pokemon to bring them up to par and give people other options to use rather than everyone using the same powerful pokemon. That way there would actually be hundreds of viable options to use and no "unusable" pokemon as people like to brand them. Making the already powerful pokemon more powerful is the wrong way to go and is just gonna push other pokemon further out of the spotlight.

Honestly, I'm liking megaevolutions less and less. They're giving them to already powerful pokemon that don't need them rather than pokemon that could use a boost both in power and visual design.

Mawile and Lucario are the only truly great looking ones if you ask me. Kanto starters, Mewtwo and Garchomp megas look less cool than the originals. Either make them look better or don't bother.

Pokemon that actually need megas would be...

Cacturne (Cooler design, better stats including speed. Maybe huge power ability)
Serviper (Fairy's weakness to poison could give Serviper it's time in the spotlight. Attack boost)
Fearow (Get it up to par with other flyers)
Kabutops (One of the coolest pokemon designs, needs more love plus one fossil should gain a mega)
Sunflora (Becomes grass/fire type. Huge special attack boost. New ability. Visually taller and cooler)
Masquerain (Gains water typing and huge stats boost. Design becomes more elegant)
Stunfisk (Get's larger and more stingray like. Huge special attack and speed boosts. New ability)

They should be giving megas to weaker pokemon to bring them up to par and give people other options to use rather than everyone using the same powerful pokemon. That way there would actually be hundreds of viable options to use and no "unusable" pokemon as people like to brand them. Making the already powerful pokemon more powerful is the wrong way to go and is just gonna push other pokemon further out of the spotlight.
Masquerain needs a boost, that's for sure. And you're right. They need to stop overpowering everything that's already overpowered.

Ditto24

Erm, haven't GF already proven that it's not just going to be 'OPing the already OP'? Mawile, Absol, Kangaskhan and Ampharos all say hi!

GF are just showing off 'fan favourites' to help promote this new mechanic. If we had MegaButterfree, MegaWormadam, MegaTropius etc all shown off first, it probably wouldn't have got as much hype. This isn't all the Mega Evos, we will get more and more diversity, please calm down.

NotChip

®™
Mega Garchomp gets an attack boost? It's already at 130 base Att. WAT.

But it looses out on speed in the process, which is one of the main reasons as to why Garchomp is so deadly.
A Mega Garchomp is essentially a Haxorus that can't use held items. (It can also use special moves better than Garchomp, but we don't know how better at this stage. However, what ever it becomes, I can't see it being worth while, especially in comparison to its monstrous attack stat.)

Last edited:
Calling it now: MegaSableye

Espeonite

The Mega ev's are a bit much, I was hoping for weaker underused cute Pokemon to get a boost, I mean I want a mega cherim lol.

I would want a MegaLudicolo LOL

Ditto24

Tropius is one of my favourites.

Lol, he's 1 of mine tbf. But it's purely for promotional value, imagine if when they first did the Pokemon Direct back in Jan and instead of having the mascots and the starters, they gave us Fletchling, Gogoat, Helioptile, Pancham and Vivillon. Yes people would have been excited, but not as much as seeing mascots and starters.

Lol, he's 1 of mine tbf. But it's purely for promotional value, imagine if when they first did the Pokemon Direct back in Jan and instead of having the mascots and the starters, they gave us Fletchling, Gogoat, Helioptile, Pancham and Vivillon. Yes people would have been excited, but not as much as seeing mascots and starters.
But why the starters!? They were good enough before. They do not need to evolve anymore. Yes, they look cool but I don't like it.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
But why the starters!? They were good enough before. They do not need to evolve anymore. Yes, they look cool but I don't like it.

Blaziken, sure. But the Kanto starters are definitely not that good anymore. Those Megas are definitely deservimg, especially with how little attention some of them got before.

Last edited:

Ditto24

Makes them more relevant again and the Kanto starters were designed years ago and the only improvements GF can make are added to their movepools, but these Pokemon were created before sooo many mechanics such as weather and all other stuff. Plus everyone wants starters to be popular. :)

Makes them more relevant again and the Kanto starters were designed years ago and the only improvements GF can make are added to their movepools, but these Pokemon were created before sooo many mechanics such as weather and all other stuff. Plus everyone wants starters to be popular. :)
I guess. I love the Kanto starters. Especially Charmander..... I want a legit shiny Charizard, my fondest wish that has yet to come true....

BurningWhiteKyurem

Blaziken, sure. But the Kanto starters are definitely not that good anymore. Those Megas are definitely deservimg, especially with how little attention some of them got before.

DW Charizard is definitely a powerhouse, 1.5x Sp. Atk boost by sacrificing 10% health under the Sun (equivalent to the power of Choice Specs without being limited to one move), and Chlorophyll Venusaur is nothing short of amazing, Speed gets doubled and gets double Sp. Atk boost thanks to Growth under Sun support. The only one you could make the case for being underwhelming is Blastoise. Other than that, the Kanto starters actually are decent.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
DW Charizard is definitely a powerhouse, 1.5x Sp. Atk boost by sacrificing 10% health under the Sun (equivalent to the power of Choice Specs without being limited to one move), and Chlorophyll Venusaur is nothing short of amazing, Speed gets doubled and gets double Sp. Atk boost thanks to Growth under Sun support. The only one you could make the case for being underwhelming is Blastoise. Other than that, the Kanto starters actually are decent.

Well I don't mean to say they're terrible, but they aren't close to being "good enough without a Mega Evolution." Admittedly, I forgot Venusaur is in OU, mainly because I never see it, but my point is there's no reason for their Mega Evolutions to be considered superfluous. In fact, I don't think we can say any of them are superfluous until we know just how much of a change they are.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

I agree about Venusaur but Charizard still is quite the Glass Cannon and Solar Power makes that worse. So it has to hit hard and faint hard because it's not going to last long, and that's still not considering how hampering Stealth Rock is to it. Blastoise is OK, at least it has Utility but it needed more to be useful.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Bear in mind that Thick Fat and increased defenses make Venusaur a defensive powerhouse as opposed to a sunlight sweeper, which changes its game completely.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
do you guys think we will be able to mega evolve a pokemon prior to switching it into battle?
I thought about this and I realized I don't think we will but I feel like it would help out in the metagame a bit. like being able to switch into mega Charizard instead of having to activate drought via mega evolving him on its first turn on the field.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
do you guys think we will be able to mega evolve a pokemon prior to switching it into battle?
I thought about this and I realized I don't think we will but I feel like it would help out in the metagame a bit. like being able to switch into mega Charizard instead of having to activate drought via mega evolving him on its first turn on the field.

probs now it seems like more of a in battle thing but from the sounds of it once you have done it the pokemon should stay that way all battle whether its withdrawn/set out

Status
Not open for further replies.