• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torus333

Fakemon Artist
I believe there will be many more Mega stones post game.. do we know if Mega stones are just natural stones or were they made by Team Flare or a scientist or something?

Bluemage21

If I don't get mega sceptile, I'm going to flip.

From the list of trademarked names, there does not seem to be a mega-sceptile, which means it is HIGHLY unlikely.

Luthor

Blaziken
Gengar
Aerodactyl
Lucario
Absol
Garchomp
Kangaskhan
Ampharos
Mawile
Veusaur
Charizard (two)
Blastiose
Mewtwo (two)
Abomasnow
Gyarados
Gardevoir

Also, several others are rumored but not confirmed (Galvantula and Druddigon I think).

so does that mean that the rumour about raichu getting a megaevolution was simply that, a rumour?

greninjamaster

so does that mean that the rumour about raichu getting a megaevolution was simply that, a rumour?

Not necessarily but Raichu was not featured on the trademark list which has so far been very accurate with pinpointing which pokemon are Megas. It's still definitely a possibility though.

I know this is strictly Pokemon X/Y discussion but I think as a marketing factor to make people want to buy Z they're probably gonna give us more new megas in that game including probably mega forms of the Kalos starters IMO.

sutasafaia

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one that would have preferred some actual evolutions instead of these mega stones? There are useless or nearly useless pokemon numbering in the dozens, maybe even in the one hundred or higher range, that could have used some love before pokemon like Blaziken and Mewtwo needed any kind of help becoming stronger. It isn't that I dislike the idea of Mega pokemon in general but I just don't see what it brings to the table that some new evolutions couldn't have done, especially for pokemon that are never even glanced at twice. I understand the idea of a mega metagame (can't use hold items to balance out the power boost) but bringing other useless pokemon up to par might have been better than making powerful pokemon even more powerful.

That and mega is starting to feel like some kind of silly gimmick now. When it was announced and shown off for Mewtwo, the idea of it getting two evolutions made sense, and it using a mega stone was interesting. Powerful legendary, version exclusive, magic rock makes it better, cool! But now it's like every pokemon you like needs a mega or a person feels snubbed, and why Charizard getting two stones? Charizard isn't a legendary, there was nothing special about it, why give it two? I understand that it's a popular pokemon but it still seems silly.

I dunno, I'm still buying the game, but it's kind of sad that Mega is wearing out its welcome to me before the game even starts.

jayel123

Didn't groudon and Kyogre make the tm list? I can imagine gf giving both of them megas alongside Latios and latias to prepare us for a ruby sapphire remake. But who knows how long that will be.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Just out of curiosity, am I the only one that would have preferred some actual evolutions instead of these mega stones? There are useless or nearly useless pokemon numbering in the dozens, maybe even in the one hundred or higher range, that could have used some love before pokemon like Blaziken and Mewtwo needed any kind of help becoming stronger. It isn't that I dislike the idea of Mega pokemon in general but I just don't see what it brings to the table that some new evolutions couldn't have done, especially for pokemon that are never even glanced at twice. I understand the idea of a mega metagame (can't use hold items to balance out the power boost) but bringing other useless pokemon up to par might have been better than making powerful pokemon even more powerful.

That and mega is starting to feel like some kind of silly gimmick now. When it was announced and shown off for Mewtwo, the idea of it getting two evolutions made sense, and it using a mega stone was interesting. Powerful legendary, version exclusive, magic rock makes it better, cool! But now it's like every pokemon you like needs a mega or a person feels snubbed, and why Charizard getting two stones? Charizard isn't a legendary, there was nothing special about it, why give it two? I understand that it's a popular pokemon but it still seems silly.

I dunno, I'm still buying the game, but it's kind of sad that Mega is wearing out its welcome to me before the game even starts.

No, you are not. I agree with every single thing you just said. I couldn't have worded them better myself. Well, I could probably used "nostalgia pandering" and "worthless fanservice" a lot more, but really, you aren't the only one.

But beware, most people will disagree with you.

Sound

I'm not sure. ATM, the ones I listed are the only confirmed ones (by picture). Anything else is fair game.

jayel123

I'm really wondering what mega evolutions will do to the metagame of competitive battling. Or will they just be banned altogether?

There should be at least one Bug Mega Evolution Pokemon :(

All types got Mega evos except bugs.

Buttefree please Mega Evolve!

Missingno.Fan

I kind of agree. Stuff like desperately need Farfetch'd and Luvdisc evolutions to be useful while stuff like Lucario and Blaziken were good enough already. I also feel that it is unfair that only Charizard gets two forms while Venasaur and Blastoise get snubbed. I honestly don't know why Charizard Y even exists since we all know that people are going to go for Charizard X.

greninjamaster

I agree with everything you said. In fact it bothered me how much Mega-Evolution was basically digi-volution. I didn't like that it was not permanent.

I honestly would have preferred if some of the megas just received permanent evolutions like Heracross and Pinsir. Farfetch'd and Dunsparce need evos as do the likes of Corsola, Quilfish, Luvdisc basically any one stage pokemon needs an evolution except for like Druddigon and pokemon like that.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Supposedly, Mega Stones for Heracross and Galvantula have been found, but (as far as I know) there haven't been any pictures of their MegaEvos.

IIRC, Galvantula seems to be the only 5th gen mon to get a Mega forme.
Unless I missed others, that's the only one I've heard of.

Sound

I've made this point before, I'll make it again. This really isn't any different than what they've been doing since gen 2. Certain Pokemon are buffed disproportionately. Gen 2 Snorlax, when the Special split gave him the SpDef stat that, in conjection with his good Atk and access to Curse, let him completely dominate the metagame. Gen 4, Skarmory, already the best physical wall in the game, gets Roost. Gen 5, Dragonite (who wasn't bad, simply average in a category that had many exceptional) gets Multiscale and is only kept in check by SR. Gen 5, Salamence gets Moxie. Gen 3, Gengar is given levitate. Gen 4, the physical/special split gives Tyranitar Crunch off of its 134 Atk. Gen 4, already good Magneton got Magnezone.

I'm not saying that your opinion isn't valid, I'm simply saying that "They're not doing it right" isn't a good reason to dislike because they've been doing this for ages. I use the same thing when discussing object Pokemon. They've been doing it for a while, you just haven't notice, they shouldn't change to please a minority.

Also, you hit the nail on the head when you said Charizard got two megas because it is popular. We may all see Charizard as overrated, but the 12 year old kids who can't even spell overrated don't. We're just a peripheral audience. If they can induce hype in kids while making us happy as well, good. If they can induce a lot of hype in kids while pissing us off, a worthy sacrifice. Personally, I feel the best way to enjoy Pokemon games is to play them like you are twelve, but to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.