• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I don't want to post the link yet, because I'm not sure if I'll get in trouble if I do, but Pokéjungle posted a new spoiler about Gen I-IV Pokémon that are supposedly getting mega evolutions, with a number of them being ones that were already confirmed through the leaks

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I don't want to post the link yet, because I'm not sure if I'll get in trouble if I do, but Pokéjungle posted a new spoiler about Gen I-IV Pokémon that are supposedly getting mega evolutions, with a number of them being ones that were already confirmed through the leaks

tbh I wouldn't put too much stock in any of the lists going around (which often include revealed Megas as a base)

unless it's backed up by screenshots by a reliable leaker, anyone can make up a list

Grey Wind

That's just the trademarks list, we've had that for ages.

But the Speed stat seems to be lower than before now.

I don't really see Mega Ampharos getting more use over Mega Lucario/ Mewtwo/ Blaziken, who are rumored to have better offensive stats and speed.

I just want to point out, it's possible he has either a negative nature, or a neutral nature and 0 IVs. Meaning it might not have gone down, or, it may have gone up and he just has a bad nature. Besides, he learns Agility. :3

R_N

tbh I wouldn't put too much stock in any of the lists going around (which often include revealed Megas as a base)

unless it's backed up by screenshots by a reliable leaker, anyone can make up a list

Like Valoo said, pokejungle is just reporting on the trademark list that AAPF brought up a while ago

Sulfurian

I kind of agree. Stuff like desperately need Farfetch'd and Luvdisc evolutions to be useful while stuff like Lucario and Blaziken were good enough already. I also feel that it is unfair that only Charizard gets two forms while Venasaur and Blastoise get snubbed. I honestly don't know why Charizard Y even exists since we all know that people are going to go for Charizard X.

I am the kind of player who enjoys and accepts new things. Although Charizard is one of my favorite pokemon when I was a kid I'm not the kind to say "CHARIZARD IS BEST POKEMONZ EVAR" and the whole "Charizard is getting two forms waaah" is starting to annoy me.

Let's look at it like this: Charizard fans wanted a fire/dragon for a long time. But they were also faced with the challenge of pleasing fans who wanted to keep Charizard's original design in-tact while adding more power to it. So they said "hey, let's please both of those types and introduce two forms"
God forbid they listen to their fans and give them two. I get you can't please everyone, but seriously? whining about how "unfair" it is basically makes you look JUST like the fans who cried about Charizard being the best pokemon.

Also, Blastoise and Venasaur had NOTHING wrong with them in the first place. Venasaur now has two options: OU under the sun, or be extremely tanky. Blastoise can be a solid wall, or he can nuke everything with his mega cannon. That is AWESOME. What did original Charizard do? other than solar power, he could do nothing. Now he can be a special attacker or a physical sweeper. He is now a powerhouse. Again, GOD FORBID.

/end rant.

swamp_swampert

Swamp master
i just hope blaziken isnt the only hoenn starter with a mega evolution, mega sceptile and mega swampert should happen, but you never know with gamefreak

lavanda

Really feeling it
With Mega Charizard X being Dragon and possibly Mega Gyarados, I want Water/Psychic Mega Golduck and Flying/Psychic Mega Noctowl.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
I am the kind of player who enjoys and accepts new things. Although Charizard is one of my favorite pokemon when I was a kid I'm not the kind to say "CHARIZARD IS BEST POKEMONZ EVAR" and the whole "Charizard is getting two forms waaah" is starting to annoy me.

Let's look at it like this: Charizard fans wanted a fire/dragon for a long time. But they were also faced with the challenge of pleasing fans who wanted to keep Charizard's original design in-tact while adding more power to it. So they said "hey, let's please both of those types and introduce two forms"
God forbid they listen to their fans and give them two. I get you can't please everyone, but seriously? whining about how "unfair" it is basically makes you look JUST like the fans who cried about Charizard being the best pokemon.

Also, Blastoise and Venasaur had NOTHING wrong with them in the first place. Venasaur now has two options: OU under the sun, or be extremely tanky. Blastoise can be a solid wall, or he can nuke everything with his mega cannon. That is AWESOME. What did original Charizard do? other than solar power, he could do nothing. Now he can be a special attacker or a physical sweeper. He is now a powerhouse. Again, GOD FORBID.

/end rant.

They shouldn't really have appeased the fans who wanted Fire/Dragon in the first place in my opinion. It has little logic, and people whine about it not being Dragon, and how Fire/Dragon is a better type, and it will stop their precious Charizard having a double weakness to Stealth a Rock. The truth is that a) Fire/Flying for Charizard has ALWAYS made sense, and b) Fire/Dragon arguably isn't any better as a type than fire/Flying anyway. To be honest, they should have just had Charizard Y and let everybody moan how they want. The same with Gyarados. I really hope that isn't Water/Dragon.

Giving Charizard two MegaEvolutions just shows eh extent of GFs pandering towards Fire starters and Charizard fans, and I cannot help but sympathise with those people who feel like the other two starters are getting sidelined, because they are. Charizard will always hog all the glory. Charizard has further options having two MegaEvolutions than the others only having one though. Physical or Special.

Shraeder

It's Lit
They shouldn't really have appeased the fans who wanted Fire/Dragon in the first place in my opinion. It has little logic, and people whine about it not being Dragon, and how Fire/Dragon is a better type, and it will stop their precious Charizard having a double weakness to Stealth a Rock. The truth is that a) Fire/Flying for Charizard has ALWAYS made sense, and b) Fire/Dragon arguably isn't any better as a type than fire/Flying anyway. To be honest, they should have just had Charizard Y and let everybody moan how they want. The same with Gyarados. I really hope that isn't Water/Dragon.

Giving Charizard two MegaEvolutions just shows eh extent of GFs pandering towards Fire starters and Charizard fans, and I cannot help but sympathise with those people who feel like the other two starters are getting sidelined, because they are. Charizard will always hog all the glory. Charizard has further options having two MegaEvolutions than the others only having one though. Physical or Special.

What's so bad about Fire/Dragon? Both typings make sense for Charizard, so why not include both?

Although GF does favor Fire starters, especially in the anime

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Druddigon as well, apparently. Hopefully more than those for Gen V though!

Wait, what? Can someone send me a link please?

confuser987

So are there any definite ways of countering Mega Evolved pokemon besides hitting hard and fast with SE attacks?

Do we have any walling pokemon that could stand up against them and do residual damage like toxic or trapping moves like fire spin and every other turn protect and heal?

For single battles, you can always use mirror coat or counter.
But how about for doubles?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
So are there any definite ways of countering Mega Evolved pokemon besides hitting hard with SE attacks?

Depends on the Mega you're fighting, the moveset it's running, its stat spread, its current health and status, the player behind it, its team support, and field effects.

Same as any other Pokemon, just with bigger numbers.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer

To add on to this about the argument that Fire/Dragon would stop Charizard from having a 4x weakness to SR, that is an incorrect argument since it won't because of the mechanics of MegaEvolution.

I don't think that Charizard having two MegaEvos, while Venusaur and Blastoise each having only one is unfair to the Pokemon themselves (as so many say it is), but unfair to the Venusaur/Blastoise fans. Why should Charizard fans get two choices for MegaEvolution, while the Venusaur/Blastoise fans don't? (That's a rhetorical question)

Shraeder

It's Lit
To add on to this about the argument that Fire/Dragon would stop Charizard from having a 4x weakness to SR, that is an incorrect argument since it won't because of the mechanics of MegaEvolution.

I don't think that Charizard having two MegaEvos, while Venusaur and Blastoise each having only one is unfair to the Pokemon themselves (as so many say it is), but unfair to the Venusaur/Blastoise fans. Why should Charizard fans get two choices for MegaEvolution, while the Venusaur/Blastoise fans don't? (That's a rhetorical question)

In this case(IMO), 1 choice is better than 2. Venasaur/Blastoise fans get the same Mega no matter what, but Charizard fans can only get one depending on the game they choose. Idk, hard to put into words but I hope you see my point.

The_Nanobots

One of many
They shouldn't really have appeased the fans who wanted Fire/Dragon in the first place in my opinion.

It has little logic, and people whine about it not being Dragon, and how Fire/Dragon is a better type, and it will stop their precious Charizard having a double weakness to Stealth Rock.

The truth is that a) Fire/Flying for Charizard has ALWAYS made sense, and b) Fire/Dragon arguably isn't any better as a type than fire/Flying anyway.

To be honest, they should have just had Charizard Y and let everybody moan how they want. The same with Gyarados. I really hope that isn't Water/Dragon.

1. Video game companies shouldn't do things that the fans want? That seems counter-intuitive. The more hype the better is what I think Gamefreak was going for.

2. Little logic? Charmander is the lizard pokemon which is arguably based off a bipedal salamander, correct? Charmeleon is just a larger lizard/salamander. Charizard is either A. a bipedal salamander with wings. or B. A bipedal european dragon. The change from a salamander to a salamander with wings seems less likely than the change from lizard to dragon.

People are always going to want a buff to their favorite character in any video game, and to please the most amount of people it makes more sense for Gamefreak to buff charizard then to buff excadrill.

3. Your opinion is not truth, and in my opinion Fire/Dragon makes more sense due to what I said earlier. With the prevalence of stealth rock in the metagame Fire/Dragon is indeed a better type, but only in the metagame.

4. I still don't see the point in not appeasing the fanbase. However it would be a better decision to give a second mega to all three kanto starters. Gyarados is a different matter altogether. It is based off the Chinese myth that the carp that could leap over the waterfall (Dragons gate I think it was called?) would become the asian version of a dragon.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

/end rant.

Charizard didn't need Fire/Dragon, it was not necessarily and was introduced only because the fans kept demanding it. Charizard Y was fine, it gave it a niche with Drought and boosted its special attack, allowing it more options for being put into the team. Charizard X is just marketing ploy, Fire/Dragon is good typing but you gain a Ground weakness, still has the rock weakness and doesn't gain any speed, neutering its usefulness. It's not that good.

Scammel

Ever heard of the phrase 'looking a gift horse in the mouth'? Venusaur and Blastoise are incredibly solid Pokémon with useful abilities, beefy stats and are now getting even better with mega evos. What's 'unfair' are the qualities and attention they boast over most other Pokémon in the game, if we're approaching it like that.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic

Grrrrr, you've mentioned that loads of times, but I always forget about it. Always make the same mistake. But I wouldn't say Fire/Dragon is much better still. That Ground immunity I have a feeling will become very valuable this generation. Thanks for reminding me about the SR thing! :)

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Grrrrr, you've mentioned that loads of times, but I always forget about it. Always make the same mistake. But I wouldn't say Fire/Dragon is much better still. That Ground immunity I have a feeling will become very valuable this generation. Thanks for reminding me about the SR thing! :)

Three layers of Spikes can stymie MegaCharizard X a nice bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.