• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Thief That Keeps On Thieving (548)

cookieboy13

I always thought that Jessie's Yanmega knew Steel Wing, not Wing Attack.

Shafted

<--- DP 102 Star
Great episode!

• Pippy was cute with it's tiara and the butt wagging.
  • I really loved where the episode took place. It was beautiful seeing those lakes and ponds scattered around a huge forest.
  • Wow I never thought that Yanma could be so cool. I loved it's voice and the head sitting.
  • OMFGz Team Rocket did something right? Way to go guys!
  • Yanmega pwned all in this episode. Did you see it's sonic boom attack?!? Dang!!!
Overall, it was a very nice episode with some flashbacks, battles, and Giovanni too! Definitely going to watch this episode again.

HoennMaster

Yes, Yanmega keeps its Japanese voice, and yes, Giovanni's original VA is voicing him again.

I didn't realize this episode was so repetitive...but I loved it. Finally Jessie has a new pokemon.

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
That new Piplup loves strutting its stuff. We call that a harlot around here

LET ME TELL YOU THAT NO PIPLUP OF MINE WOULD BE CAUGHT DEAD WEARIN' NO TIARA.
Spoken like a true man professor. Rowan taking it out on an Ursaring, that'd be an episode.

Brock knows what Ancient Power looks like? The little Gym Leader in him is shining through!

Giovanni didn't lift a finger scanning that ball. Let's see Paul do that!

Battle against Yanmega-READY. SET. DRAW BLOOD!

That first Yanma battle had an upbeat...beat, this second one is just terrorizing. What evolution can do to a guy huh?

I see Brock continues to pass off his cocaine onto others. Ohhh they'll be back, they always come back.

Wha? Why is such a good theme in this underwhelming episode? Music isn't making sense this time.

So now Jessie obtains a second monster (Seviper's first) and James is on to his second cutesy type. That must be the new formula, boy if it wasn't for Carnivine James wouldn't be much help around here.

6/10 Yanmega added an extra kick to those TR themes. Shame that it was shuffled into a so-so episode.

Venusaur Master

ProtoPrimeX
I love Yanmega's voice its like a robot animal of some kind. Its great that even though they replaced the original voice of Giovanni they let him come back again to reprise the role simply awesome.

mimefan

Banned
I hate the new Yanma's voice.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
I'm content with this episode. As I've already said a few times before, I hate the word "filler", so let's call this one a normal Pokemon episode without special highlights but jazzed up with some neat and surprising elements. The latter made this episode entertaining and exciting and therefore a pleasure to watch.

Only two things bothered me a bit:
Firstly, there's Tylor, which, sorry for having to say that, was portrayed too wimp-like frankly. Although you have to grant him that he's still a beginner, I don't like the whole idea very much of making "newbies" turn up now and then, because especially Ash has already come too far to still have to deal with beginners after almost 550 episodes.
Please don't get me wrong, helping others is one of the most important duties both in our world and in the Pokemon world, but shouldn't the writers gradually portray Ash as a bit more "selfish" trainer who is pursuing his own goals?
On the other hand, just episodes with an epic plot wouldn't be possible either, so, perhaps, it would be the best, if the writers left the "development aid"-part to Brock.
Secondly, the name of Tylor's Piplup was inappropriate! "Pippy"...omg! Are we talking about Teletubbies? You don't call your best friend and battle partner like a baby!That guy, although being nice and likeable, should first of all become aware of what it needs to be a successful Pokemon Trainer.

Now, I wanna enumerate those aforementioned neat elements:

Giovanni finally appeared again and Team Rocket actually managed to send him their first caught Pokemon - after 548 episodes. What a success! :naughty:

btw. Could somebody tell me, what Team Rocket said while standing on top of the hill and looking after Delibird? Unfortunately, I didn't understand every word acoustically, because it was a bit unclear.

Also, Team Rocket's reverence for "the gift of the boss" was hilarious. Seeing their faces every time Yanmega was hit, was just priceless XD

Moreover, Yanmega itself was surely kinda creepy. It didn't scare me, but I think it'll be Jessie's new powerhouse. From now on, Ash, Dawn and Brock will have to deal with a serious and quite powerful opponent. But what I didn't like at all: Yanmega made Chimchar look weak! NO!!! I don't wanna see that! Chimchar should have beaten the hell out of the insect-Pokemon!

The best aspect of today's episode was definitely Ash cheering up Tylor and, by doing so, serving as a shining example again! (This somehow reminds me of the Hoenn episode in which the boy with the Plusle and Minun modeled himself on Ash! I loved this "Master Ash" title ^^)

Apart from Tylor being a bit clumsy and having given his Pokemon an unacceptable name, this episode offered great surprises, featured awesome Pokemon and portrayed Ash as the Hero of the Day, just as he deserves it!

6,5 out of 10 points!

Last edited:

TeddiUrsa

I'm content with this episode. As I've already said a few times before, I hate the word "filler", so let's call this one a normal Pokemon episode without special highlights but jazzed up with some neat and surprising elements.

How is this episode a filler? Musashi got a new Pokémon for God´s sake! Team Rocket finally sent a Pokémon to Sakaki!

Why do you think this is a filler? Who said so?

The highlight for me was TR´s antics through the whole episode...well, the episode kinda was about TR and Satoshi-tachi only played a supporting role if you ask me.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Looking back at this, I'm fairly dissapointed that they didn't make a running gag out of YUHNYUHN perching atop Jessie's hair, as if it's length were enough to fool it into thinking those luxurious locks were, in actuallity, a demonic dragonfly of the female persuasion.
Think of all the immature jokes that could have spawned from it.

Last edited:

RageKaiser

Chespin :D
Looking back at this, I'm fairly dissapointed that they didn't make a running gag out of YUHNYUHN perching atop Jessie's hair, as if it's length were enough to fool it into thinking those luxurious locks were, in actuallity, a demonic dragonfly of the female persuasion.
Think of all the immature jokes that could have spawned from it.

So it's being called YUHNYUHN now?
Appropriate.

Cobalt_Latios

Yes, Yanmega keeps its Japanese voice, and yes, Giovanni's original VA is voicing him again.
When I heard its voice for the first time I literally thought: "oh my god, this is how Yanmega sounds??" Scared me a bit mind you. That's actually a good thing; Team Rocket finally has a "creepy" pokemon. And to think, this guy goes perfectly with Jessie's overall persona.

Heh, I kind of realized it was Ted Lewis voicing him. As if the previous episode were of any indication (that one trainer that sounded almost exactly like him).

Two Piplup's in the same ep, what were the writers thinking?
Wait... two Piplup's? That's strange, I didn't realize Dawn's Piplup was even there. This "Pippy" is much more peppy than his mascot counterpart.

Well... as far as this episode goes, I'm rather pleased with it. One of the funniest things is that this "cotd"'s name was as generic as they come. "Tyler", suits him just fine.

I like how Ash actually mentioned his first capture as being a Caterpie, and not first capture of the region (which is what I was partially expecting). Then again, using that capture in particular makes a lot more sense.

In my mind, when Team Rocket appears, does their motto, grabs Yanma, and goes, I was actually thinking: "what just happened?". It was an odd, yet very effective method of acquiring that Yanma; appear randomly, perform and leave. They'll be so shocked they won't have time to react. In this case, it half worked.

Delibird made his appearance. Despite his last appearance being relatively recent (just under 100 episodes is actually pretty damn recent, in this show at least). You know, I laughed when Giovanni mentions they have a collection of Yanma's. And that little scanning device was pretty neat, with a pokedex voice no less.

Team Rocket, they really have lost it. You know, I think failure has really gotten to them. When they give Giovanni a Yanma, a freakin' Yanma, I honestly wondered if they were thinking this through at all. Not nearly as bad as Togepi, but geez, they really are bad at their "job". Thinking they're getting a reward for a Yanma... oh boy.

Yanma evolving to Yanmega was pretty cool though. Ash was almost like: "wth"?? Yanmega is the ogre dragonfly (or something like that). Yep, pretty self explanatory. That voice creeped me out. Low and demonic sounding. Finally, something Team Rocket gets that's actually worthwhile.

All in all, a very good episode; Yanmega makes it's debut, and we find out just how terrible Team Rocket is at their job, as well as notice that they're really not going to amount to much. Oh, and a Piplup that's actually bearable.

A first in a while.

wait... one thing bugs me. I was hearing this BGM that sounded very familiar from one of the movies. But I'm not sure which one. I know I heard one from movie 9 (the opening credits), but there's another one that I recognize, but I just don't know which movie it's from. I'm thinking it's probably from movie 9, but I ain't to sure. Any help would be great.

~C_L~

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Damn, and I thought Glalie's voice was menacing....Yanmega's is downright demonic. The best voice I've ever heard in the show. Yeah, this episode is one to remember; it's been a long time since Team Rocket did their job. Hope we get to see more Team Rocket-centric episodes like this again.