• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

armaldo or aggron??

• armaldo

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • aggron

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

Houka

Yes it is. Gen 4 is the first one that forced it but ya can do it in the first three game as well. It is, as far as I know, the only true way to rest the system as the glitches often carry over to the new save though not always.

Theo-92

Been looking to buy a 3rd gen cartridge. I have read on how to spot the real cartridges among the fakes out their and have seen a few which I would buy yet I'm still rather sceptic.

Any tips from anyone who has bought a secondhand cartridge that you think would be helpful for me?

Also are GBA cartridges region locked?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Been looking to buy a 3rd gen cartridge. I have read on how to spot the real cartridges among the fakes out their and have seen a few which I would buy yet I'm still rather sceptic.

Any tips from anyone who has bought a secondhand cartridge that you think would be helpful for me?

Also are GBA cartridges region locked?

I would only look at sellers who have pictures of the actual cartridge they're selling and not just stock photos of the box or something. That's obviously a big help when it comes to identifying a real cartridge.
If you can find pictures of what the real game looks like, that can be helpful too. I bought a second Emerald cartridge a few years ago and comparing the sellers' cartridges to the one I already had really helped in identifying fakes.

You can continue to read about identifying fake games if you think you still need information. There are quite a few guides you can find online and they're a useful resource. I consulted quite a few of them when buying my spare Emerald.

One other thing: If you're buying FireRed or LeafGreen, the cartridge should not have an internal battery inside. RSE used batteries for the time feature only. Since FRLG don't have a clock feature, they don't have batteries.

GBA games are region free.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Recently i have been trying to get a shiny zapdos in FR. At first i was soft resetting, but after watching similar hunts on youtube runaways seemed like a better method so i switched over to that.

My first question is about the runaway method, every time i walk outside and back in to battle zapdos, does everything change about it, or am i wasting my time encountering the same one multiple times?

Also if it does change every encounter, is it better to save after a day of runaways or does it matter since theoretically it changes every encounter anyway?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Recently i have been trying to get a shiny zapdos in FR. At first i was soft resetting, but after watching similar hunts on youtube runaways seemed like a better method so i switched over to that.

My first question is about the runaway method, every time i walk outside and back in to battle zapdos, does everything change about it, or am i wasting my time encountering the same one multiple times?

Also if it does change every encounter, is it better to save after a day of runaways or does it matter since theoretically it changes every encounter anyway?
Everything about Zapdos - shinyness, Nature, IVs, etc. - is determined when you actually battle it. So, every time you soft reset and start a new battle against it, there's a chance of it being shiny. You don't have to go running in and out of the building.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Everything about Zapdos - shinyness, Nature, IVs, etc. - is determined when you actually battle it. So, every time you soft reset and start a new battle against it, there's a chance of it being shiny. You don't have to go running in and out of the building.

I realize that, running away from it is just faster than soft resetting. I just wanted confirmation that every battle with it would be a completely different zapdos, and to that measure would saving after a days worth of run aways be better for overall progression towards a shiny frame?

Aquarelle

Staff member
I realize that, running away from it is just faster than soft resetting. I just wanted confirmation that every battle with it would be a completely different zapdos, and to that measure would saving after a days worth of run aways be better for overall progression towards a shiny frame?
I don't quite understand what this "runaway" method is (never heard of it before today)...but saving after a few days of "runaways", soft resetting, or whatever won't really do anything. Seems like it would be easier to just save in front of Zapdos once, then keep resetting until you get a shiny.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
I don't quite understand what this "runaway" method is (never heard of it before today)...but saving after a few days of "runaways", soft resetting, or whatever won't really do anything. Seems like it would be easier to just save in front of Zapdos once, then keep resetting until you get a shiny.

Instead pf soft resetting, i just run away from Zapdos, which causes it to fly away, then when i exit the power plant and walk back in zapdos is back in the same spot for another encounter. Faster than resetting, i just got nervous because there is no real way to tell if the new zapdos is different than the previous one and i didnt want to waste massive amounts of time.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Instead pf soft resetting, i just run away from Zapdos, which causes it to fly away, then when i exit the power plant and walk back in zapdos is back in the same spot for another encounter. Faster than resetting, i just got nervous because there is no real way to tell if the new zapdos is different than the previous one and i didnt want to waste massive amounts of time.
Oh, I didn't know it would come back if you ran from battle.
Anyway, I just looked at some videos about this method and it does look like the legendary's shinyness and everything change with every encounter, so you're not encountering the same one over and over. I don't think saving every once in a while will do much, so I guess you should just keep on doing the runaways until you get lucky.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Oh, I didn't know it would come back if you ran from battle.
Anyway, I just looked at some videos about this method and it does look like the legendary's shinyness and everything change with every encounter, so you're not encountering the same one over and over. I don't think saving every once in a while will do much, so I guess you should just keep on doing the runaways until you get lucky.

This is exactly what i was looking for, thank you!

KingCornWallis

3rd Gen Expert
Questions About Japanese Versions

Was a physical Japanese Eon Ticket ever released?

How did Japanese players go about obtaining Jirachi?

Thanks

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Was a physical Japanese Eon Ticket ever released?

How did Japanese players go about obtaining Jirachi?

Thanks

I found that physical Eon Tickets were distributed in Japan once during Gen 3 and they were found in a particular CoroCoro issue back then around January 2003, so yes.

There were several instances where Japanese players could get Jirachi for their Gen 3 games.

1. 2006 Tanabata Jirachi

2. 2005 Tanabata Jirachi

3. 2004 Tanabata Jirachi

4. Wishing Star Jirachi

ayipayob

armaldo or aggron??

;306;;348;

i cant decide which one should i choose

i do research but still cant figure out which one is the best because they have different aspects of PROS and CONS

and i dont care if it is for ingame or competitive

*usually when i do research and still have not find the definite answer, i biased the pokemon on looks but theyre both equally cool.

Bananarama

The light is coming
;306;;348;

i cant decide which one should i choose

i do research but still cant figure out which one is the best because they have different aspects of PROS and CONS

and i dont care if it is for ingame or competitive

*usually when i do research and still have not find the definite answer, i biased the pokemon on looks but theyre both equally cool.

Well, it really depends on what role you want them to play. If you want a good attacker, Armaldo would be the better pick. It has a pretty high attack stat, and it gets several good physical moves, like Earthquake and Rock Slide. Aggron is very good in defense, though, and it can still do several of the things that Armaldo can do.

I'd say to think about what you're looking for, because both Pokemon can be good in different roles. I'd go with Aggron here, though.

Last edited:

arceus03

If it helps, base them on your other team members?

Aggron has a double weakness to Ground and Fighting.
Armaldo has a single weakness to Steel and Rock.

Both are weak to water. So it kinda doesn't matter there

See that them being there doesn't add another weakness to other existing team members.

Pokemon Ruby Struggles

Okay, I am at the elite four and here is my team. Please keep in mind I am playing THE ORIGINAL RUBY, NOT OMEGA RUBY.

Blaziken(Chugga) Lv.41- If you get the reference, then you have my respect.
Quick Attack
Double Kick
Bulk Up
Blaze Kick

Hariyama Lv.39
Fake Out
Bulk Up
Earthquake
Brick Break

Gardevoir Lv.39
Calm Mind
Psychic
Flash
Thunderbolt

Camerupt Lv.43 (Holding Exp. Share)
Amnesia(Will replace with Eruption when it happens)
Rock Slide
Fire Blast
Earthquake

Sharpedo Lv. 47
Surf
Crunch
Ice Beam
Waterfall

Groudon Lv.51
Solarbeam
Bulk Up
Earthquake
Fire Blast

Sydney is pretty easy, although is Double Team/Sand Attack strategy can be VERY ANNOYING.

Pheobe is very easy, as Sharpedo and Groudon can handle her.

Glacia is where things get bumpy. For some reason, her Lv.50 Glalie is UNGODLY fast. Groudon can't one shot it because it uses hail so Fire Blast won't kill. Yet what really gets me is my Groudon can outspeed her other Glalie thats at Lv.52. Yah, try to wrap your head around that.

Solarbeam and Gardevoir's Thunderbolt are able to 2HKO both of her Sealeo, and then in comes Walrein, and boy that thing is a bulky *** mother****er. I can't OHKO it with anything, and can easily return with Blizzard, which OHKOs my Groudon, Body Slam hits Gardevoir hard, and so its hard to take out.

Drake I can get past his Shelgon and His Altaria. If I am lucky I can get past his first Flygon. Then his other Flygon and Salamence can easily take me down, using Flamethrower under Groudon's sun just too rub salt in the wound.

After doing some research I realized that Game Freak made some really bad choices. Gardevoir, Sharpedo and Groudon are in the "Slow" Exp. Group, meaning they take 1,250,000 exp. points to reach lv.100. I can see why Groudon is there, but WHY are Gardevoir and Sharpedo there?

They arn't really that good! Hariyama is even worse, which grows at a fluctuating rate, but requires a whopping 1,680,000 exp. points to reach lv.100.

Blaziken is medium slow, and Camerupt is medium fast. So really, Gen 3 already had the issue of not giving out much Prize Money after battles, the level scaling is still pretty bad, and I got the exp share as soon as I could and fought every god dang trainer.

I have played through Ruby in an emulator before and I just had to grind until I could finish Steven with my Lv.60 Camerupt, it took 3 weeks of on and off grinding.

But this is the part that I dread about almost every pokemon game I play. I have been playing Pokemon for 7 1/2 years, and this happens almost every time! Grinding against the elite four is soooooo boring, but what other choice do I have?

I use healing items when I know I can actually win. I can't start from scratch with another Water type. I can't raise an Alakasam instead of Gardevoir because I can't trade. Same with Machamp instead of Hariyama.

Also those of you who have played Omega Ruby, I hope you appreaciate the benefits of Super Training, the improved Exp Share, and the dumbed down movesets of the original Elite Four, and I don't mean to insult Gen 3, but I saw Chuggaaconroy's playthrough of Emerald, and his team was Level 45ish by the time he got too the Elite Four.

But is there any way I can maybe make this grueling process go just a bit faster maybe? I went through this in Soulsilver, Diamond(I think everyone did).
Heartgold, Black during the rematches. I get grinding has a reason to exist, but even the name sounds uncomfortable

So, if you made it too the end, thank you very much, even if you don't have an answer. By the way I am playing through on a Nintendo DS.

Last edited:

Mahdy

[EVERYONE PLEASE] Pokemon Fire Red - Confused and I need all your help

Okay, so I need some help. My brothers "great" advice told me since I have a kadabra, I don't need a pidgeotto. So, this is my current line up and I'm thinking of getting rid of Jolteon for Pigeotto because once I evolve dratini into dragonite, I can teach it thunder and ice moves, and gyrados can be my water type Pokemon, but now I have no damn idea what to make my line up and to all my Pokemon I NEED YOUR HELP

Dratini
Gyradous
Jolteon
Growlithe
Kadabra
Ivysaur

I was going to switch out Jolteon back to Pigeotto because I can eventually teach dratini thunder and ice moves, but I don't know if this is a mistake. I need help. Can someone please tell me what's the best route?

Houka

Umm pidgy isn't that great compare to Jolt also is Thunder will be stronger then Dragonites. I think ya got a solid team as is.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Okay, so I need some help. My brothers "great" advice told me since I have a kadabra, I don't need a pidgeotto. So, this is my current line up and I'm thinking of getting rid of Jolteon for Pigeotto because once I evolve dratini into dragonite, I can teach it thunder and ice moves, and gyrados can be my water type Pokemon, but now I have no damn idea what to make my line up and to all my Pokemon I NEED YOUR HELP

Dratini
Gyradous
Jolteon
Growlithe
Kadabra
Ivysaur

I was going to switch out Jolteon back to Pigeotto because I can eventually teach dratini thunder and ice moves, but I don't know if this is a mistake. I need help. Can someone please tell me what's the best route?

I agree with Houka on this. Your team seems fine the way it is and I wouldn't switch out any Pokémon.

Mahdy

So there was no no point in getting dratini? Seriously?

Umm pidgy isn't that great compare to Jolt also is Thunder will be stronger then Dragonites. I think ya got a solid team as is.

What I mean is should I continue to train dratini to keep it leveling up learning all those moves, and since I can teach it thunder moves put pidgy back in, or what? Because I don't think anyone of them learn it naturally you have to teach them it -- you said my current lineup is fine, so why should I keep dragonite if jolteon's Thunder is stronger?

I agree with Houka on this. Your team seems fine the way it is and I wouldn't switch out any Pokémon.

And what about gyradous? Should I keep him or obtain Laura's and train him for better water type Pokemon?

Last edited by a moderator: