• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Triple Fighting Chance! (536)

Psychic is blue, confusion used to be punrple in the old days, just a lesser "fluorescent" tone. Of course they changed that around BF and made both blue-ish, not to mention they added in this epi the purple eyes which is AWESOME!

Confusion has been blue since at least Johto (noctowl), not only BF.
I still don't get the difference between psychic and confusion though, they have the same animation and do the exactly same things. lol.

In my opinion, blue eyes along with blue lines on the target looks better than this purple color.. oh well ^^

btw, what was it Meditite was using when it went gray? detect?

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Confusion has been blue since at least Johto (noctowl), not only BF.
I still don't get the difference between psychic and confusion though, they have the same animation and do the exactly same things. lol.

In my opinion, blue eyes along with blue lines on the target looks better than this purple color.. oh well ^^

btw, what was it Meditite was using when it went gray? detect?

green eyes, detect.
grey aura, calm mind (I think)

Awesome battle! I'm glad Staravia got redeemed this battle since it didn't do much last gym. And even though Chimchar and Buizel didn't get any wins, at least Chimmy got some hits in and Buizel was awesome with its tie.

I always wondered what would happen if a gym leader and trainer tied and I guess the gym leader chooses whether to give the badge or not...interesting.

Anyway awesome match. My favorite part of the battle has to be Lucario vs. Buizel. It was epic!

dman_dustin

I know that Buizel doesn't learn WP naturally. Bulbasaur dosen't learn tickle or Whirlwind naturally, and nobody has trained him for those moves. So count Buizel learning WP a anime error.

The difference is Buizel CAN learn Water Pulse through TM (training in the anime) but Bulbasaur can't learn tickle or whirlwind period (of course Ash's bulbasaur only used Whirlwind once, and they possibly fixed it because it was never shown again)

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
IMO, this is one of the best gym battles ever. As far as Buizel vs. Lucario goes, words like epic and awesome fall short of describing that battle. I watched it like 3 times already and well I was very impressed. I dont think buizel learning water pulse or getting a boost with the rain is cheap. It's about time effects like weather played a role in battles. I think a pokemon learning a move during a fight is good, it doesn't always have to be a trainer teaching their pokemon a move and then the pokemon uses that move to win.

I loved the way both lucario and buizel dodged attacks and their movements during the entire battle was crazy. The battle was freakin INTENSE. lol

Mukubird was great also. Finally it got redemption and was very impressive. The bird took alot of hits from machoke and meditite but was able to beat them both. It showed alot of endurance in the battle. Shinji was able to beat Meditite and Machoke (I think it tied against machoke right?) with his Honchkrow. Ash did the same with Mukubird but it beat both and it still has one more evolution left. Im sure it will evolve into Mukuhawk.

I thought Chimchar was very impressive. I know it didn't get any wins but look at the amount of hits it took from Meditite and Lucario. Yet, it was still able to stand and continue to attack. Chimchar was getting nailed by both drain punches and bone rushes right in the face but it was able to hang on deal some damage to meditite and got lucario with an attack as well.

overall I have to say the battle was a 10/10.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/buoy.jpg[/IMG139]
Quite possibly the most epic moment in the entire gym battle was the final clash between Bouysel and Lucario's attacks.*

Anywho, great gym battle. Topped a lot of the Frontier Brains' crap, which isn't bad at all for an inexperienced Gym Leader who's had to endure child abuse and a mustelid recovering from the fear of taking part in the pokémon world's most flamboyant proffession.

Mukubird certainly proved it's capable of being more swallow than waxwing, and with 68 episodes into the series, it was a long overdue performance. All good things come to those who wait, and while it may have been one hell of a wait, the pay-off was definitely worth it. Some brilliant manoeuvres (the deciding Aerial Ace against Machoke was great) and a frankly surprising amount of stamina from the Bird’s side of the ring made it a great watch. Avoiding any flatulence jokes for the moment, it was also nice to see Ash make use of those forgotten wind attacks, with Whirlwind being brought into play and doing a decent job of slightly distancing the bird from it's predecessor. If Muku gets any more battles in the future, WhirlGust is something I want to see more of.

Chimchar didn’t get to do much, but what it did achieve wasn’t bad by any means. At the end of the day, it put up a great fight and landed some decent damage despite some of misfortunes it faced during the battle. The overuse of scratching attacks felt a little odd in my opinion, but it was great to have FireChildApe land a solid hit on Lucario before going down. But oh, if only chimps didn’t have the all-too effective Lucario-bait that is an aura.

Lucario fight vs Buoysel was epic, but considering the pokémon that were fighting, I suppose that was a givenback when we first heard the title of this one. Some really nice Shimura animation going on here, eh Suikun, which further proves that's she's capable of providing us with some great stuff. A far cry from the Squirtle vs. Banette BF contest, that's for sure... Squirtle getting pummled wasn't enough to save that.
I used to be the sort who'd complain about dues-ex methods of success in this show, but then I realised that, hell, this is pokémon. Pretty much everything has been dues ex from day one. Why should that spoil the enjoyment? Just sit back and watch two animals hurt each other with lasers and glowy crap. And whaddayano; This fight provided all that and more. Screw the SUDDEN RAIN and OH WOW NEW ATTACK. It was fun to watch, that's all that matters.

* I lied.

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/mukudamage.gif[/IMG139]

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Meditite confus....sorry, possessed him with satanic mind tricks.

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
If you play Hero's Comeback(the first Naruto Shippuden Opening) with the Staravia gif, it matches perfectly. 0_o

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
You two are making it very difficult for me not to read further into that dreaded series. Temptation...flowing to hands....fingers typing....'Naruto' into....Google search engine...

uber gon

Accept Change
That can actually happen when a Gym Leader loses regardless of a draw?

Anyway:

~Staravia finally pulled off some KO's in its 'resume'. Good for it.
~Chimmy (or Chimchar; sorry about that) put up a good fight.
~Lucario Vs Buizel (hence the episode title) was truly epic. But lets face it, Buizel might have lost if not for its newfound Water Pulse ability and being refreshd by the rain (I mean, look WAY back at the Ash/Brock battle)...

Actually I found out the match ended in a draw. Regardless, it was pretty cool.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal about Buizel secreting Water Pulse until now? Was there really this much debate when Combusken conveniently pulled Mega Kick out of its hot *** against Wakana or when Noctowl spontaneously learned Confusion in order to get the upper hand in Ecruteak?
Some really nice Shimura animation going on here, eh Suikun, which further proves that's she's capable of providing us with some great stuff.
Well I did say in my post on Page 3 of this thread that it looked pretty decent for her. Though you can't say that you wouldn't have preferred someone like Iwane or Tamagawa for this.

But then again, I'd prefer them for every episode, but that ain't gonna happen.
You two are making it very difficult for me not to read further into that dreaded series. Temptation...flowing to hands....fingers typing....'Naruto' into....Google search engine...
You don't know the power of the dark side.

Last edited:

TheHolyShoe

Am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal about Buizel secreting Water Pulse until now? Was there really this much debate when Combusken conveniently pulled Mega Kick out of its hot *** against Wakana or when Noctowl spontaneously learned Confusion in order to get the upper hand in Ecruteak?

Actually no. After watching the episode myself, I'm convinced that Buoysel's learning Water Pulse is not only fine, but makes sense. It learned Water Pulse by observing Lucario utilize Aura Sphere. Before you say, "Shoe, you crazy" hear me out.

It's pretty obvious that Aura Sphere and Water Pulse have similar strength in the anime continuity. They also look hella similar, as obvious by the earlier debates. And their Japanese names are quite similar - 'Hadou-dan' and 'Mizu no Hadou'. That all implies that they are relatively similar moves, you know? Not exactly the same, but close enough that a Pokemon like Buoysel, which is probably a fairly quick learner, managed to understand how to utilize Water Pulse based on observing Lucario slinging off about a billion Aura Spheres.

dman_dustin

Actually no. After watching the episode myself, I'm convinced that Buoysel's learning Water Pulse is not only fine, but makes sense. It learned Water Pulse by observing Lucario utilize Aura Sphere. Before you say, "Shoe, you crazy" hear me out.

It's pretty obvious that Aura Sphere and Water Pulse have similar strength in the anime continuity. They also look hella similar, as obvious by the earlier debates. And their Japanese names are quite similar - 'Hadou-dan' and 'Mizu no Hadou'. That all implies that they are relatively similar moves, you know? Not exactly the same, but close enough that a Pokemon like Buoysel, which is probably a fairly quick learner, managed to understand how to utilize Water Pulse based on observing Lucario slinging off about a billion Aura Spheres.

I guess that's better than saying it just learned it out nowhere

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Well I did say in my post on Page 3 of this thread that it looked pretty decent for her.
That you did, but I just couldn't resist saying that previous line :p

Though you can't say that you wouldn't have preferred someone like Iwane or Tamagawa for this.
Naturally. Isn't the thought of Muku.SELF HARM produced by the hands of those talented folk enough to make your mouth water like a convenient rain storm?

dman_dustin

Buziel is an awesome Pokemon. His battle in this episode just increases his awesomness.

It proves Buizel won't give up until it has no choice. Even though I knew the results I still thought Buizel was going to lose. The referee was about to call the match until buizel struggled to get up.

That was possibly one of the reasons Maylene decided to give Ash a badge, because Ash's Buizel wanted Ash to win the gym battle (of course given Buizel's personality that may just be wishful thinking)