• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I have another question: what happens to the effect of Assault Vest (or any defense boosting item) during Wonder Room (the one that swaps defense and special defense)? I have a set in mind and do not know for sure or know how to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I have another question: what happens to the effect of Assault Vest (or any defense boosting item) during Wonder Room (the one that swaps defense and special defense)? I have a set in mind and do not know for sure or know how to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Assault Vest will boost the new Special Defense value in Wonder Room, which was the original value of the Pokémon's Defense stat under normal conditions. Stat changes are not swapped as well.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I'm actually thinking of making this a thread. But I'll post it here for now. Lets imagine the physical-special split never happened. Which pokemon do you think would be nerfed the most badly? Do you think any would get better?

(If you didn't know, the physical-special split is when we got moves that were both physical and special for each type in Gen IV. In Gens I-III, all Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Ice, Dragon and Dark moves were special. All Normal, Fighting, Flying, Poison, Ground, Rock, Bug, Ghost and Steel moves were physical (but Gengar was somehow still really good).

For example, assuming Fairy was a special type (given that it only has one physical move anyway). Azumarill, the fearsome huge power and belly drum sweeper, would have no physical STAB, and would even lose physical knock off. But Alolan Ninetales and Keldeo would gain special STAB priority moves in Ice Shard and Aqua Jet respectively.

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Oh things would have to rely on Hidden Powers again and even those would be weaker then before thanks to the -10...Banded T-Tar would lose a lot of its wallbreaking qualities. Like strong Dark STAB and the ability to trap with its fantastic attack.

Any physical dragons that may have had trouble before are now absolutely in shambles. Maybe not Zygarde, but it wouldnt be able to DD Dragonium anymore. Kartana would also lose breaking prowess, as would Bulu. Stall might be broken now? The meta may shift towards bulkier playstyles again. Let's see, main stall breakers like the aforementioned Kartana and T-Tar would be neutered. Everything physical that relies on punches for coverage would also be outta luck again. So Ice Punch coverage loses its effectiveness. These are just right off the top of my head, thankfully we live in a meta that allows for the physical/special split to give us options.

Those in the universe where the split never happened have my condolences. I can only imagine the OU meta there.

Gengar was good in gen 3-4 cause it still provided fantastic status support and Explosion was still kinda neat, it also had outstanding coverage that saved it, and Gengar's still good in OU now no dont try to convince me otherwise I WONT HEAR IT LALALALALA

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Anyone noticed that Mega Salamence is apparently banned for Ultra Kalos Classics? Also several other megas like Beedrill, Sharpedo, Audino, Altaria, Steelix, Pidgeot, Sableye, Slowbro... But some other megas like Mega Charizard and Mega Blastoise are allowed.

Serebii doesn't mention certain megas being banned at all, they only mention the ban of Z-crystals. Is that an error on serebii's side, or on the PGL side? They also explicitly ban Sceptilite even though Sceptile is already banned, but don't bother banning Blazikenite and Blaziken is also not allowed, so the PGL side is a bit weird.

Last edited:

EKZ1505

Anyone noticed that Mega Salamence is apparently banned for Ultra Kalos Classics? Also several other megas like Beedrill, Sharpedo, Audino, Altaria, Steelix, Pidgeot, Sableye, Slowbro... But some other megas like Mega Charizard and Mega Blastoise are allowed.

Serebii doesn't mention certain megas being banned at all, they only mention the ban of Z-crystals. Is that an error on serebii's side, or on the PGL side? They also explicitly ban Sceptilite even though Sceptile is already banned, but don't bother banning Blazikenite and Blaziken is also not allowed, so the PGL side is a bit weird.

All those banned megas were introduced in ORAS, so they couldn't have been in the Kalos dex (which is what this tournament is limited to) in X and Y.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
All those banned megas were introduced in ORAS, so they couldn't have been in the Kalos dex (which is what this tournament is limited to) in X and Y.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Mega Salamence being gone at least helps my Amnesia Mega Venusaur, it's one of the few things it's really scared of.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I got a Hone Claws Zekrom off the GTS...

But it's Jolly, not Adamant...

Will that matter a whole lot? I know Zekrom is pretty slow. This is on the DS so I imagine you don't have to be Showdown specific with spreads and natures.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just snagged an Adamant one off of ORAS. And all it took was some mystery zone Arceus I also got off the GTS lmao.

Last edited:

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
Just to answer the question regardless, Zekrom's entire point is his disgusting attack power combined with Hone Claws that just tears through balance. Jolly nature does nothing because the added speed doesn't make it fasted than any relevant threats, and you lose notable power.

In XY you could run a situational mixed set with Thunder and some decent speed but that's in the past.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I'm on the Smogon dex and I'm trying to breed Quiet HP Grass Wishiwashi (mostly for fun), but I did some research and 0 speed IV's is not compatible with that type. What gives? Why even recommended that?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm on the Smogon dex and I'm trying to breed Quiet HP Grass Wishiwashi (mostly for fun), but I did some research and 0 speed IV's is not compatible with that type. What gives? Why even recommended that?
The Speed IV for a HP Grass Pokémon must be odd so it can’t possibly be 0. At the lowest, in that case, it has to be 1.

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
Hidden Power Fighting or Ground for Glaceon?

Smogon's recommending fighting, but I'm checking forums all over the web and they're saying ground. So like what's the difference? Or is Glaceon so bad it doesn't matter?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hidden Power Fighting or Ground for Glaceon?

Smogon's recommending fighting, but I'm checking forums all over the web and they're saying ground. So like what's the difference? Or is Glaceon so bad it doesn't matter?
It really depends on what kind of Pokémon it faces in the meta. It generally has a problem against Steel-types, so that explains its HP types. HP Ground has more coverage against the types it’s weak against, in which it covers Fire, Rock and Steel, but it’ll have to watch out for Pokémon holding the Air Balloon or having the Levitate Ability, especially against Air Balloon Probopass. In that case, HP Fighting is preferred because it is the next type that covers as many of its weaknesses, which it covers Steel and Rock and bypasses any Ground immunities, which may be disastrous for HP Ground Glaceon.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Does Rage Powder Tangrowth actually do anything useful?

Or is Amoonguss really the only good user of it?

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
Last time Tangrowth was relevant in doubles was like 2012, and a niche pick at that. It's good at eating physical hits and that's that, unlike Amoonguss it doesn't do both.

Nor does it have Spore or Clear Smog.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I already have 2 Adamant Regenerator Ho-Oh's, and one Impish so I'm basically good. However I just got a Modest one off the GTS, but can I actually do anything with it?

• No special flying stab
• Sacred Fire is physical
• Ancient Power, Calm Mind and Earth Power are at least cool options, right?

Last edited:

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Glad to see people talking about Ho-oh because with the new event coming up I have some questions regarding it. I kinda want to train up the event Ho-oh with Burn Up as a special tank, which unfortunately means I only have access to Pressure. Any tips on nature, moveset, etc?

The idea is to use Burn Up quickly to get rid of the Fire-type and make Stealth Rock not as much of a problem. It also works as a fake out type-wise and I don't have to worry about other STAB Fire moves.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Burn Up doesn't work against Stealth Rock. It only drops your fire type after you use it, when you're already in, so when you've already taken Stealth Rock damage. And the fire type is regained when you switch out.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
That's disappointing. Thanks for the tip though.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I don't get it. Why are people still using Mimikyu in OU? New toy syndrome wore off a long time ago, it should have
left with Muk and Marowak. If Disguise had worked exactly like Substitute, I'd get it.