• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cross-Generation Transfer Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Power

I noticed no one has posted this kind of thread yet. So I'm doing the honors. The question of this thread: is there gonna be someway to transfer Pokemon caught in past generations from Generation VII to Generation VIII? And if so, how?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Probably through Pokemon Bank or maybe even a new software through Global Link on PC if they can't do it directly from 3DS to Switch. Also knowing GameFreak, will probably have to wait for it rather than have it right at the beginning of the new generation.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I guess it's likely Game Freak will bring Pokémon Bank to the Switch and therefore can allow Pokémon from Gens 5, 6 and 7 to be transferred to Gen 8.

gabric

the problem with bank is that its on the 3ds itself is it not? so it may not be compatible with the switch

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
the problem with bank is that its on the 3ds itself is it not? so it may not be compatible with the switch
That's not a problem. Bank is a server-side service. All the 3DS front-end does is tell the server what to do. It's easy to replace those. (I'm a full stack web developer and changing front-ends like this is literally my job).

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
One thing I kind of want them to do is ban legacy moves. Almost no one wants Pokemon Bank gone. If that'd happened then it would be up there as one of the reasons why Generation 8 is the worst generation yatta yatta as part of the "this new generation is suddenly the worst generation" trend, pissing off millions of Pokemon fans across the world. So what I think GameFreak should do is keep a legacy move ban. If your transferred Pokemon has a legacy move, it can't be used in online multiplayer until it's removed as part of the meta-game. Some exceptions I believe are tutor moves of the previous generation. Due to this, I believe this not only a great way for transfer Pokemon dating back to 3rd generation to play fair game with others but I also believe due to this, that transferred Pokemon should be fully allowed in all rating battles and VGC tournaments rather than just be kept back to free battles and special-types of tournaments. I can't be the only one who's annoyed by the fact that I catch all these Pokemon from previous generations only to find out later you can't use them in any of the multiplayer formats except free battle and specific tournaments. As for abilities, I really don't think that matters much as GameFreak is only just going to make them most, if not all, abilities legal sooner or later like tutor moves.

JW1004

I hope it will be easily to transfer, I use a different nintendo account for both my 3ds and my Switch, so I hope that doesn't give any problems

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I hope it will be easily to transfer, I use a different nintendo account for both my 3ds and my Switch, so I hope that doesn't give any problems
Well you mean the differences between a Nintendo Account and a Nintendo Network ID. They are two different things but a Nintendo Network ID can be linked to a Nintendo Account so through that it can allow Pokémon to be transferred from Gens 5, 6 and 7 straight to Gen 8.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm thinking that Bank is coming back. They did say that it will be the relative transfer method for all future games.

JW1004

Well you mean the differences between a Nintendo Account and a Nintendo Network ID. They are two different things but a Nintendo Network ID can be linked to a Nintendo Account so through that it can allow Pokémon to be transferred from Gens 5, 6 and 7 straight to Gen 8.

Thanks I didn't knew that

Syther

Y not?
One thing I kind of want them to do is ban legacy moves. Almost no one wants Pokemon Bank gone. If that'd happened then it would be up there as one of the reasons why Generation 8 is the worst generation yatta yatta as part of the "this new generation is suddenly the worst generation" trend, pissing off millions of Pokemon fans across the world. So what I think GameFreak should do is keep a legacy move ban. If your transferred Pokemon has a legacy move, it can't be used in online multiplayer until it's removed as part of the meta-game. Some exceptions I believe are tutor moves of the previous generation. Due to this, I believe this not only a great way for transfer Pokemon dating back to 3rd generation to play fair game with others but I also believe due to this, that transferred Pokemon should be fully allowed in all rating battles and VGC tournaments rather than just be kept back to free battles and special-types of tournaments. I can't be the only one who's annoyed by the fact that I catch all these Pokemon from previous generations only to find out later you can't use them in any of the multiplayer formats except free battle and specific tournaments. As for abilities, I really don't think that matters much as GameFreak is only just going to make them most, if not all, abilities legal sooner or later like tutor moves.
Yea that's not going to happen. Especially since you can get pokemon from ALL Generations into Bank, and 5 of them have Direct deposit access.

Cerex

Folks, there's no question, Bank will be coming to the Switch. The pitch of the service was that it would solve the transfer issue for Pokemon for generations to come, not just for the past. It's also convenient timing for a major switch in the hardware. So rest assured, while GameFreak has a tendency to make some really short sighted decisions, not incorporating Bank into the Switch game will not be one of them.

Now the fact that we will have access to Bank, at some point in the Switch game, I hope means that they will focus on making more new Pokemon, because there is no value to make Pokemon that are incredibly accessible at this point, including Hidden Abilities, a big feature of this game. We've literally gone from the moments where Chansey was almost impossible to catch in the Safari, and then in the cave in the post-game, to the point that you can chain farm them for EXP. Hopefully, because of this we focus the region on new Pokemon.

Pokemon Power

A lot of you are saying they'll bring back Pokemon Bank, and I admit, that seems like the best option. The thing is, how will it work? Would it link with the 3DS Bank?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
A lot of you are saying they'll bring back Pokemon Bank, and I admit, that seems like the best option. The thing is, how will it work? Would it link with the 3DS Bank?
I think that it will link with the 3DS Bank. That is the point.

BCVM22

Would it link with the 3DS Bank?

I think that it will link with the 3DS Bank. That is the point.

No. It was explained above.

That's not a problem. Bank is a server-side service. All the 3DS front-end does is tell the server what to do. It's easy to replace those.

Pokémon Bank is less a software application and more the servers on which your Pokémon are stored and on which they travel as you transfer them from game to game. The 3DS application is merely your system's means of accessing those servers. There isn't a "3DS Bank" to access, merely a portal through which your 3DS accesses the Bank servers.

Think of Pokémon Bank as an actual bank. Right now, the only way in or out of the Bank is through the door marked "3DS", because right now the 3DS is the only current hardware with a Pokémon game. A year and a half from now, two years from now, whatever, there will be a Pokémon game for the Switch (or will have been for some time already), and they'll build us all a nice door to the Bank marked "Switch" through which we can walk into the Bank using our Switch systems and conduct our business.

This is why they created, designed, and implemented Bank to begin with - because it's futureproof. No more needing to rely on a slot for a defunct software format. No more needing to rely on link cables or local wireless connections between otherwise disparate hardware. You can upload a file to a cloud service and access it on your desktop, your phone, your tablet or any machine regardless of operating system or model as long as it has an Internet connection and the ability to run a given application. Bank allows them to do nearly the same and add connectivity functionality to any future Nintendo hardware for which they can develop a front-end Bank application. which is presumably all of them.

Last edited:

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
I wonder if they will still get the mini sprites for them. If Bank can still be accessed via 3DS after an 8th gen Switch game is released, they’ll have to create mini sprites for all 8th gen Pokemon in which case mini sprites would either have to return to the game, or only be used to represent Pokemon in BAnk for Switch.

JohnLynch

What happens when online support for the 3DS gets shutdown though? At the moment we can get all pokemon from gen 3 to gen 8 if you have the legacy hardware to support it (i.e. a Nintendo DS). Will the Switch break that chain by only allowing transfers via Pokemon Bank?

BCVM22

Will the Switch break that chain by only allowing transfers via Pokemon Bank?

Almost certainly. But it's not a break in the chain yet, because...

What happens when online support for the 3DS gets shutdown though?

...this is years away from happening. Even when they end support for online play of 3DS titles (years from now) and even when they shut down the 3DS eShop (years from now), you'll still be able to access Pokémon Bank from your 3DS. Bank's servers, by definition, aren't going anywhere, and your 3DS will always have the ability to access a Wi-Fi connection and go online - the question will only ever be what's there to be accessed.

It's far enough off that I wouldn't even entertain it as a concern at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.