• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
The question remains on how difficult would it have been for them to maintain their same color. This is hardly original. They're already godly with the Soul Dew, they hardly need megas. For a Latios one, it would be really good but Latias is supposed to have that feminine grace about her and a distinctive color.

Well, was it original that they have basically the same animations in battle even in their normal forms? I mean, why get caught up in the color if it makes sense that twins (in real life even) would be the same color anyway? The combination of their normal colors, no less. I think it's kinda clever that they emphasize the idea of them being twins, even if it looks unoriginal.

0danmaster0

Well, was it original that they have basically the same animations in battle even in their normal forms? I mean, why get caught up in the color if it makes sense that twins (in real life even) would be the same color anyway? The combination of their normal colors, no less. I think it's kinda clever that they emphasize the idea of them being twins, even if it looks unoriginal.

because the original forms did not look exactly the same. and yes, it is incredibly unoriginal.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Actually, it's only in the anime where they're specifically noted to be twins, otherwise the games have only gone so far to say they're connected, just not in what capacity.

Actually, it's only in the anime where they're specifically noted to be twins, otherwise the games have only gone so far to say they're connected, just not in what capacity.

Well, in PokePark it says that Latias is his sister.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
because the original forms did not look exactly the same. and yes, it is incredibly unoriginal.

Why does that make it unoriginal, though? Given what they appear to being going with this, I think it makes perfect sense that they did it this way. Could they have done it another way? Maybe, but I don't know. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's fair to say they're unoriginal when we only know their appearance. I know the did a poor job explaining Mega Mewtwo X/Y, but that can change in a future game. Same could be explained here.

Same with the connection between the Kanto birds and Lugia, and look what happened there. We don't really know anything other than the appearances of these two, but who's to say they can't do the same here? After all, another game canon established the sibling connection (PMD), so they could always do the same here.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The only thing I find weird about this is that Latias and Latios already had game breaking items.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Same with the connection between the Kanto birds and Lugia, and look what happened there. We don't really know anything other than the appearances of these two, but who's to say they can't do the same here? After all, another game canon established the sibling connection (PMD), so they could always do the same here.

You mean how they never expanded on it in the main games?

The thing is we're not talking about another media's canon, we're talking about the main games and there neither are referred to. If Lati@s are meant to be siblings they have never expanded on it, it could be and there's nothing saying otherwise as they do have at least a connection (whereas the birds are almost completely ignored for Lugia), but for now it's not confirmed canon for that part of the series.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
The only thing I find weird about this is that Latias and Latios already had game breaking items.

In fact, I calculated once that Latias/Latios had 768 BST with Soul Dew.

If anything, the Mega Evolutions seem to exist to nerf them for standard battles.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I guess I could get used to Mega Latios and Latias looking almost identical. But as others said, I thought they were perfect before and I'm surprised that they got mega evolutions in the first place. Latios and Latias are some of my favorite Legendary Pokemon and I'm just stunned that their mega evolutions look like that.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
You mean how they never expanded on it in the main games?

The thing is we're not talking about another media's canon, we're talking about the main games and there neither are referred to. If Lati@s are meant to be siblings they have never expanded on it, it could be and there's nothing saying otherwise as they do have at least a connection (whereas the birds are almost completely ignored for Lugia), but for now it's not confirmed canon for that part of the series.

Yeah, the connection between the birds and Lugia was never made in the main games before, and now there seems to be some sort of reference to a connection in X/Y. Seeing as various other canons have made the connection with Lati@s, they could officially make that connection in the main series by the time we get those Megas officially revealed. I go back to my last post when I say it's still a bit early to say it totally unoriginal, especially since we shouldn't technically know they exist yet anyway.

R_N

latias.jpg
latios.jpg

If you are talking about the pointy ear things then honestly they look exactly the same

Are we looking at the same thing here

Latias' uh hair...things, along the side of its face (not the horns) are sharper and smaller
Latios' come out a smidge more and look curvier

0danmaster0

Why does that make it unoriginal, though? Given what they appear to being going with this, I think it makes perfect sense that they did it this way. Could they have done it another way? Maybe, but I don't know. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's fair to say they're unoriginal when we only know their appearance. I know the did a poor job explaining Mega Mewtwo X/Y, but that can change in a future game. Same could be explained here.

It is unoriginal because this
hmiERnZ.png
can be considered a different mega blaziken because I changed the eye colour according to your logic

Are we looking at the same thing here

Latias' uh hair...things, along the side of its face (not the horns) are sharper and smaller
Latios' come out a smidge more and look curvier

8ZQwtTI.png
that's his eye

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
There isn't a mega-evolution I don't like. I have to admit though, Heracross did take some getting used to.

I think that the Lati@s were meant to look alike. Just a hunch.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
It is unoriginal because this
hmiERnZ.png
can be considered a different mega blaziken because I changed the eye colour according to your logic

The difference here is that you're referring to a singular Pokemon, whereas with Lati@s, there are two different Pokemon that have been implied to have some sort of connection to begin with (twins/siblings in many other canons besides the main games). It's not quite the same logic here, and if we want to get nit-picky, it's eye color and eye shape that are different with Lati@s. Eye color changes are common among shiny Pokemon. Like Psychic Politoed said, they're more than likely meant to look almost the same. Again, we technically shouldn't even know they exist, and by the time they get officially revealed, it might make more sense.

PokeAJ

I don't care what anyone says, Latias and Latios Mega's looking nearly identical is just lazy. Not to mention confusing. Couldn't we at least get a color palette swap for one of them?

SharpedoX

Treinador Áureo
Well, was it original that they have basically the same animations in battle even in their normal forms?

Compared to this? Yes!

I mean, why get caught up in the color if it makes sense that twins (in real life even) would be the same color anyway? The combination of their normal colors, no less. I think it's kinda clever that they emphasize the idea of them being twins, even if it looks unoriginal.

Then why they did they introduce them being so unique (being twins and all) and now they're "merging" to be more alike? Wouldn't it make more sense were it the other way around? My two cents.

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
Am I the only one who is thinking that these are new formes and not Mega Evo?

Well, even if these are the Mega Evo of Lati@s, I am not that bothered by their appearance.
They already looked like jets. Now they just look bigger, and more plane-like.
Also, Latias has smaller wings and cuter eyes than her brother. Doesn't look THAT similar to me.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Yeah, the connection between the birds and Lugia was never made in the main games before, and now there seems to be some sort of reference to a connection in X/Y. Seeing as various other canons have made the connection with Lati@s, they could officially make that connection in the main series by the time we get those Megas officially revealed. I go back to my last post when I say it's still a bit early to say it totally unoriginal, especially since we shouldn't technically know they exist yet anyway.

They could and I'm not saying otherwise either (in fact, I'm surprised they haven't done it considering how popular the idea is), it's just at this particular point it's not confirmed.

Anyway, yeah we'll see soon enough more clearly how they look and how conceptually they're designed once they're officially revealed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.