• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Type disadvantages/advantages

BCVM22

But then shouldn't ice be super-effective against bug types since insects are cold-blooded as well?

Theoretically, yes. Perhaps they felt weaknesses in the Fire-type and Flying-type, both common in Generation I and easy to use offensively, as well as the Rock-type (which only had two attacks in Generation I) was enough and didn't want to add another common elemental weakness.

Ah, okay. I understood temperatures close to -273C, but not -4C or something.

Why is Flying not very effective against Electric? And no, electricity being able to zap birds is reasoning for the other way around.
No I think lightning zapping birds also applies to this. Throwing a bird into a bolt of lightning will kill it.
Just 'cause. More than half the time, if a X is supereffective against Y, Y will be not very effective against X.
But then shouldn't ice be super-effective against bug types since insects are cold-blooded as well? (And actually it was only this year that I realized ice WASN'T super-effective against bug..)
I think Bugs are fine as they are. Not too bad (hits 3 types for x2, and 3 weaknesses) but there are a lot of Bugs that are underused. Back in Gen I, they were outright awful but now it's 2012 and the Bug type still isn't extraordinary. I'll admit they've gotten much better since then although they're nothing notable.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Theoretically, yes. Perhaps they felt weaknesses in the Fire-type and Flying-type, both common in Generation I and easy to use offensively, as well as the Rock-type (which only had two attacks in Generation I) was enough and didn't want to add another common elemental weakness.

True, I mean, I can see bugs being weak to lightning also (since bugs are often attracted to those zapping lamp things) but that would be down-right awful.
I think ice as a weakness would make a lot more sense than rock though.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I'm not really sure why the Bug-type is weak to the Rock-type. I mean, tons of bugs live under rocks and end up just fine.

Having them weak to the Electric-type would be overkill though.

BCVM22

I think ice as a weakness would make a lot more sense than rock though.

I'm not really sure why the Bug-type is weak to the Rock-type. I mean, tons of bugs live under rocks and end up just fine.

You live under the roof and ceilings of your home. Does it mean you'd come out unscathed if they collapsed on you or large chunks of the material were otherwise chucked at you at high speed?

Jaguartail

They aren't balanced, but they make some sense.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I also think that psychic should be super-effective against ghost because psychics can ward off spirits, right?

Actually, I think the type Psychic is more based on the mind than it is an actual Psychic. That's why Ghost being SE on it makes sense, as people are generally scared of them. In that sense, I think it would make more sense for Ghost types to resist Psychic than be hurt by it.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
Rock should resist Rock, Bug and Ice.

Freezing a rock should not harm its rock hard properties.

Bug live under rocks but Bug Bite or Bug trying to break through it should not work.

Rock vs Rock. Both cannot shatter each other unless one has the greater force.

Actually, I think the type Psychic is more based on the mind than it is an actual Psychic. That's why Ghost being SE on it makes sense, as people are generally scared of them. In that sense, I think it would make more sense for Ghost types to resist Psychic than be hurt by it.

Agreed. Ghost should resist Psychic.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
As for Bug types hiding in winter, I guess that's good to ask. I mean, most of them have wings, even Heracross. But even bugs who don't have wings, means, maybe they are cold blooded. I mean, not all bugs are warm blooded.

As for water not being weak to poison is an interesting one. To consideration of my understanding of 2nd year high school biology, poiso can come in a variety of forms. Whether solid (Like poisonous plants/pokemon like Venusaur, Amoongus [D*** mushrooms!!!], and Roserade), Liquid (Tentacruel and, Hypothetically, Jellicent, Some Snakes like Arbok carry liquid poison by stinging/biting its prey), or Gas (think of today's factories or burnt fuel / coal. Not healthy).

Ground types being neutral to flying makes sense. Has there been Any Typhoon/Hurricane/Tornado be able to remove a piece of land away from the main land? Not really. Just the top layer of the soil only since it cannot remove the bedrock and that part of the outer crust above the bedrock

But Bug types attacks super effective against psychic. Wow! I never knew that the fear of bugs is one of the highest worldwide! I mean, I wanna ask you guys this. Can you eat a LIVING COCKROACH? (if you cannot, just give it to that one guy who had a Guiness World Record for being able to eat cockroaches ALIVE!) Me, Awww HHHEEEEEELLLL NNNOOOOOOO!

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
But Bug types attacks super effective against psychic. Wow! I never knew that the fear of bugs is one of the highest worldwide! I mean, I wanna ask you guys this. Can you eat a LIVING COCKROACH? (if you cannot, just give it to that one guy who had a Guiness World Record for being able to eat cockroaches ALIVE!) Me, Awww HHHEEEEEELLLL NNNOOOOOOO!
Not only that but bugs are annoying and can keep one from concentrating.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
ok i get most of them but...
1) why is dragon weak against ice?
2) why cant ghost and normal hit each other?
3) why does psyckic not hit dark AT ALL?
4) why are ghosts strong against themselves?
5) why is ground super effective against poison?

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
ok i get most of them but...
1) why is dragon weak against ice?
2) why cant ghost and normal hit each other?
3) why does psyckic not hit dark AT ALL?

1.) Reptiles are cold blooded.
2.) Normal people can't interact with ghosts and ghosts can't interact with normal people, only with mediums.
3.) Perhaps because they can't manipulate the evil thoughts on the minds of Dark Type Pokémon.
4.) No idea.
5.) No idea.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Well in several fictional works, spirits can destroy other spirits because they share the same plane of existence, just like how humans can kill other humans because we're all physical beings.

Last edited:

aclover

VICTORiOUS
ooh, I think I know this.
I think it's because ground has a neutral pH, and poision would have either a very high or low pH (acid or alkaline), and ground would dilute it. I'm not completely sure, but I think that's it [/waits for laughter and the calls of "stupid!"]

octoboy

I Crush Everything
From what I've been reading in the early pokédex guidebooks, it seems that types being disadvantaged by their own type defensively was reserved for types which were generally reserved for the particularly badass types. They're so awesome, only another one of their own can threaten them, which was the case for ghost types before there was a dark type. Dragon appears to be a similar case, though it did always have its ice weakness, which was pretty much its only weakness in gen 1.

I wanna ask you guys this. Can you eat a LIVING COCKROACH?
Does it count if I refrain from doing it mainly due to to my considering eating a being while it's alive to be a highly sadistic act? Ok, I probably would be freaked out as well.

True, I mean, I can see bugs being weak to lightning also (since bugs are often attracted to those zapping lamp things) but that would be down-right awful.
Pretty much the only insects that bug zappers work on (if I remember correctly) are the ones that can fly. So pretty much any insect whose weakness would be a bug zapper would be weak to electric as a pokémon.

Though ironically, the most famously zapping-prone insects, moths, often aren't flying type.

Now that I think of it, having bug weak to ice and not rock would leave the flying bugs with the same number of 4X type disadvantages, so it probably would have made equal sense.

As for electric, I probably agree with PikaPika's second theory. Like I said, it's hard to think of things that can't hurt electric or poison because you can't really "hurt" electricity or poison anyway, so the designers probably decided to just make the offensive advantage a defensive one as well.