• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

armaldo or aggron??

• armaldo

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • aggron

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

genwinner

HM 06: Blast
Is shiny hunting by buying pokemon from the Game Corner a separate method with different odds? Or is it just another method of full odds hunting?

Regular odds; the shininess of pokemon is calculated the same way across all pokemon in gen3.

I have a quick question about Gen 3 Shiny hunting

I know that in R/S/E, the internal clock going dead affects shiny hunting and allows easy RNG manipulation.
Does that also happen to FR/LG? Or can you shiny hunt like you would any other game?

Strange Sound Glitch in FR

Fire Red and Leaf Green had no internal clock to begin with.
I assumed that was the case, I just wanted to make sure before I started hunting :p
Thanks! ;257;

So my FireRed cartridge has a weird audio glitch to it. Whenever I save, half of the sound cuts out until the next time I turn the system off. So things like certain sound effects will be barely audible and the music will be slightly distorted, but it doesn't seem to affect the gameplay at all. As far as I know, this is the same cartridge I've had since I was a kid, so maybe it has something to do with age? Is this kind of glitch common on FR/LG cartridges?

Here's a video of the glitch: [video=youtube_share;cgJ--bM3oPI]https://youtu.be/cgJ--bM3oPI[/video]

If anything, it gives me a cool little mini-remix when I get tired of the music (which isn't often but hey)

Last edited:

genwinner

HM 06: Blast
So my FireRed cartridge has a weird audio glitch to it.

You sure it's the cart and not the system hardware? Do you have an SP or GBA you could test it on, or other carts to test on your DS? I would try my FR on my DS, but the sound on my DS is entirely kaput.

You sure it's the cart and not the system hardware? Do you have an SP or GBA you could test it on, or other carts to test on your DS? I would try my FR on my DS, but the sound on my DS is entirely kaput.

I've played this one on both a GBA SP and a GameCube using the GBA Adapter, and the same thing happened on both.
And this only happes with my FR ;257;

bigfatcarp93

LeafGreen Nuzlocke advice - Dream Eater

Hello, new here, and would like some advice for my current Nuz run of LG. I'm only just past Surge now, but I'm thinking ahead and wondering: when I get Dream Eater, should I give it to my Hypno, Moe? Or my Butterfree, Sable?

On one hand, Moe will get STAB, while Sable won't, and there also seems to be a consensus that the early game Bugs are usually not very viable at high levels.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Sable has sleep powder, which has higher accuracy then the somewhat unreliable hypnosis, and on a Nuz run I think I need to be able to rely on that. Also, while people say Bugs aren't viable at high level, I can verify from experience that that has nuggets of dishonesty to it, as I have mained Butterfree through the Elite Four in the past.

So... damage or accuracy? What's my play here?

Houka

I honestly don't like using Dream eater in the main game. Sure Sleep Power is good but I find it have better attacks. I recommend just getting Physic over it, Hypno I believe learns it on it's own and Butterfree Learn it via TM. Butterfree is decent just not the greatest competitively wise.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
The accuracy of Sleep Powder would be bettr if you have limited options. It is much safer and doesnt waste turns. You could try other options, like Psychic, or you could use Psychic on Hypno and Dream Eater on Butterfree. If you want to use that move. That could be effective.

Shivu

Team Plasma Member
Trading from FireRed to Ruby?

So I've recently acquired a copy of FireRed and wished to transfer some of the better Pokémon over to Ruby

I get that there's stuff that needs to be done with FireRed to make this possible- finishing the main game (defeating the Elite Four) and getting the Ruby and Sapphire for Celio and so on- all that's done but I still can't seem to trade

When I connect the two games and set up a trade at the Pokémon Center 2nd floor it just sticks on the loading after the save- if I cancel nothing unusual happens but I just can't seem to get past that bit

Both games are definitely not bootleg, but the connecting wire might be- could that be the reason?
Also I haven't yet beaten the Elite Four in Ruby- does that matter?

Aquarelle

Staff member
So I've recently acquired a copy of FireRed and wished to transfer some of the better Pokémon over to Ruby

I get that there's stuff that needs to be done with FireRed to make this possible- finishing the main game (defeating the Elite Four) and getting the Ruby and Sapphire for Celio and so on- all that's done but I still can't seem to trade

When I connect the two games and set up a trade at the Pokémon Center 2nd floor it just sticks on the loading after the save- if I cancel nothing unusual happens but I just can't seem to get past that bit

Both games are definitely not bootleg, but the connecting wire might be- could that be the reason?

I honestly don't know much about bootleg link cables, so I can't say anything other than "maybe" on that one.
Aside from that, other possible issues I can think of would be:
-Are you sure you're using a GBA link cable?
-Is the cable in good condition, no rips, tears, etc.?

Whether you've defeated the Elite Four or not on Ruby doesn't matter (I've traded between a new Sapphire save and FRLG lots of times). Ruby & Sapphire's trading restrictions are not as strict as the ones for Emerald & FRLG.

Shivu

Team Plasma Member
I honestly don't know much about bootleg link cables, so I can't say anything other than "maybe" on that one.
Aside from that, other possible issues I can think of would be:
-Are you sure you're using a GBA link cable?
-Is the cable in good condition, no rips, tears, etc.?

Whether you've defeated the Elite Four or not on Ruby doesn't matter (I've traded between a new Sapphire save and FRLG lots of times). Ruby & Sapphire's trading restrictions are not as strict as the ones for Emerald & FRLG.

That's okay ^w^
The cable itself is in good condition but it has been in my drawer for some time (maybe 5 or 6 years) and I can't remember if I've ever actually used it before to connect two games XD
It's a possibility it's up and died without me knowing about it lol

Ah, I didn't know that about Ruby! With the restrictions on FRLG I assumed it would be the same for RSE

Houka

1st make absolutely sure that You got teh Ruby and Sapphire in Fire Red/Leaf Green.
2ed you need to Nantial Dex (after E4, in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald).

if you've done both it should work. If it does then it might be the cable that is the issue.

DHooley87

Missing trade info. Need help.

Hi everyone. I've got another post about trivial stuff people don't really care about but here goes!

Trading requirement for R/S/E to XD?

I've learned for sure that R/S/E have no restrictions when trading to Colosseum (besides having beaten Colosseum), and Colosseum can even be used to obtain Kanto Pokemon in Emerald before obtaining the National dex in Emerald.

No definitive answers out there that I can see when checking for XD though. I can imagine Ruby and Sapphire have no restrictions but want to double check if Emeralds National Dex restriction comes into play there.

Please help if you can:)
Thanks

Houka

I don't believe there is a restriction wit XD other then just progressing far enough to get a Poke Center. I could eb wrong as I didn't really trade in mine til the end.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Hi everyone. I've got another post about trivial stuff people don't really care about but here goes!

Trading requirement for R/S/E to XD?

I've learned for sure that R/S/E have no restrictions when trading to Colosseum (besides having beaten Colosseum), and Colosseum can even be used to obtain Kanto Pokemon in Emerald before obtaining the National dex in Emerald.

No definitive answers out there that I can see when checking for XD though. I can imagine Ruby and Sapphire have no restrictions but want to double check if Emeralds National Dex restriction comes into play there.

Please help if you can:)
Thanks
I believe that the National Dex/Beat the E4 is required in Emerald. But it's been years since my last playthrough Emerald.

I personally can't remember if that getting the Elite 4 in RS was needed or not.

Just to point out that you need to beat XD's Main story if you want to trade.

That_Tj

If the battery runs dry on Emerald, and i don't replace it, will i still be able to save? I am thinking of getting a used copy of it online and i just don't want to get it to find out that the battery ran dry and i lose money because of it.

Aquarelle

Staff member
If the battery runs dry on Emerald, and i don't replace it, will i still be able to save? I am thinking of getting a used copy of it online and i just don't want to get it to find out that the battery ran dry and i lose money because of it.
Yes, you will be able to save. The RSE games use flash memory, so the battery doesn't affect saving.

I can also say from experience that saving will be unaffected: I own 4 RSE cartridges, all have dead batteries now, all save just fine.

Last edited:

Greekboy

how can you trigger trainer rematches on ruby/sapphire? i'm trying to battle the jr. and sr. on route 117 to get my smeargle to sketch a move off of one of my pokemon, but i can't get them to rematch.
on that note, is there any easier way to sketch a move from one of your pokemon?

Aquarelle

Staff member
how can you trigger trainer rematches on ruby/sapphire? i'm trying to battle the jr. and sr. on route 117 to get my smeargle to sketch a move off of one of my pokemon, but i can't get them to rematch.
on that note, is there any easier way to sketch a move from one of your pokemon?
There is an element of luck/randomness to getting rematches, but I've found that walking around a lot on the same route as the trainer helps trigger rematches.

If you just want to Sketch a move, you could fight Gabby & Ty, since they're always a Double Battle and you don't have to wait for a rematch like with other trainers.