• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cryogonal Discussion Thread

LinksOcarina

The true master
Cloyster and mamoswine are garbage?

I think he was referring to mono-ice types...

And honestly, are there any mono-ice types that are actually viable in a competitive market? It is a very niche group to be in, and really, our snowflake and Regice are probably the only two mono-ice types that can actually be viable in a competitive market.

There is an argument for Beartic too, but that is a wholly different beast and is pretty much predictable because of it's ability and use exclusively on rain teams...but well cover that when we get there.

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
Although I don't really use it but this is the set i'd run:

Cyrogonal @ Leftovers/Sash
Levitate
Bold
Evs: 252 Def / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Moves:
- Acid Armour
- Recover
- Ice Beam/Blizzard (depends in hail or not)
- Hidden Power Fire

Acid armour allows you to get a good defense boost, and your speed and/or focus sash guarantees you'll get one, if not two, in. Then, recver off the damage, and sweep with Ice Beam and HP fire, shrugging off all hits against you. (in theory)

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Cryogonal would be better off if it had a defensive ability like Multiscale.

Or a better base defence since just 30base defence is well...bad

LinksOcarina

The true master
Maybe if were lucky Gamefreak will boost stats in the future.

I doubt that though, but hey, we can dream.

To Ninja Dewott

Cyrogonal @ Leftovers/Sash
Levitate
Bold
Evs: 252 Def / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Moves:
- Acid Armour
- Recover
- Ice Beam/Blizzard (depends in hail or not)
- Hidden Power Fire

Not a bad setup. The extra bits in Defense at least make it survivable from a regular physical hit. Again though I don't know how practical it really is because you do waste the EV/IV spread, and a move for setup, all for Defense.

Perhaps being used on a baton-passing team that boosts defense would be a better option giving it more wiggle room to survive a hit or two.

Ciliano

Cyrogonal is terrible and its stats are pretty weird. Despite that it is one of my favorite Ice-types. It beats Vanilluxe any day in my book.

Soperman

The One and Only
Cryogonal would be better off if it had a defensive ability like Multiscale.

Potentially, it could do much better, as it takes away weaknesses in the beginning and gives him defenses almost as good as eviolite chansey. It would bring it to at least UU.
Only problem is, it is still wrecked by SR, and it has no reliable healing.

Yeah, Cryogonal is awsomly under-rated. Just a shame it's so damn rare, even in Winter. Still it's almost Winter and I plan to buy a copy of the game soon so maybe I'll get lucky.

LinksOcarina

The true master
I guess I got damn lucky when I ran into it when the game came out, and just spammed poke-balls until I caught it.

Stealth Rock is the only real weakness though from the two you mentioned Soperman, because wouldn't recover be the most reliable healing surge for a pokemon to begin with? It is one of the few non-psychic types to access it as well through level up and considering it's weaknesses, it is almost a necessary option.

Granted you have to use a move to do it and it's not automatic, but with access to one of the more reliable healing moves in the game that could tip the scales in a match with prediction.

LinksOcarina

The true master
cant u just change the DS Date and catch it?

It is a 5% chance in the Winter, and a 1% chance in the other seasons, with a 25 catch rate number.

Considering the rarity the snowflake is, you would think the stats would be a tad higher. That said though I don't think rarity of the pokemon in-game would affect it's lack of use in competitive battles.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
It is a 5% chance in the Winter, and a 1% chance in the other seasons, with a 25 catch rate number.

Considering the rarity the snowflake is, you would think the stats would be a tad higher. That said though I don't think rarity of the pokemon in-game would affect it's lack of use in competitive battles.
Nope, since tiers are based on PO usage stats. Celebi and Jirachi are hard to obtain but are OU, so rarity has nothing to do with tiering.

LinksOcarina

The true master
Ice Body technically heals when it's in the hail weather effect, but that is on Vanilluxe...who is...well..vanilla in comparison.

Again though, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Recover a viable healing option?

Arceus94

Cryagonal is quite fast, isn't it?
I actually had problems in the Iccirus Gym (did i spell that right?)
against the Cryagonals using my Lampent xD

Ilan

Well the stat rise is REALLY possible here is a clue magmar and electrabuzz got a boost that way

exacly getting an evolution it may happen a snow flake who evoluves into a snow fortress or something really viable and so beartic have an evolution option to lets say a HUGE arctic bipedal mounstrous bear it may happen and so other pokemons we dont see much use of them like pachirisu and emolga stunfisk maybe dudrigon and so on there are lots of pokemons we dont know if they get an evolution and our look on them will be all in LC
so this pokemon might just be porygon or tangela case it is decent but might get an evolution in future generations I just hope next generations will have previous generations evolutions (pre evolutions are useless!)
well anyway this pokemon isnt that bad it got a really good sp.defence (but his HP is just dissapointing...) and great speed and what makes it different from regice is the recovery movejust switch to someone else when a physical pokemon comes... or a faster at least (lets say gliscor wont survive a hit)

LinksOcarina

The true master
So I just went through the new tier list with a fine tooth comb, apparently Cryogonal is now classified as a NU pokemon.

*sigh*

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Well the stat rise is REALLY possible here is a clue magmar and electrabuzz got a boost that way

exacly getting an evolution it may happen a snow flake who evoluves into a snow fortress or something really viable and so beartic have an evolution option to lets say a HUGE arctic bipedal mounstrous bear it may happen and so other pokemons we dont see much use of them like pachirisu and emolga stunfisk maybe dudrigon and so on there are lots of pokemons we dont know if they get an evolution and our look on them will be all in LC
so this pokemon might just be porygon or tangela case it is decent but might get an evolution in future generations I just hope next generations will have previous generations evolutions (pre evolutions are useless!)
well anyway this pokemon isnt that bad it got a really good sp.defence (but his HP is just dissapointing...) and great speed and what makes it different from regice is the recovery movejust switch to someone else when a physical pokemon comes... or a faster at least (lets say gliscor wont survive a hit)

You should learn to use punctuation. I can't understand much of what you're saying.

Anyway, I've always found that the best use for Cryogonal is to set up screens, starting with the one that will buffer it against an imminent threat (Reflect against Hitmonchan, Light Screen against Porygon-Z), and then finishing with the other. The problem is that most pokemon can OHKO it because it's hard not to have a move super-effective against it.

My solution to this is the Enigma Berry, which is so far only usable on PO. It negates the first super-effective attack against Cryogonal, which will almost definitely the first attack that will be used. This gives Cryogonal the extra turn to set up screens and perhaps rain or hail.