• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cingen

Hey all! Sorry for the stupid question but.. How does Mega Evolution actually work? I know you need to use the stone, but I recall Nintendo mentioning some extra criteria? Which are these?

Also, can your pokemon attack the same turn it Mega Evolves, or does the evolution use up a turn?

Thanks in advance!

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
To add on to this about the argument that Fire/Dragon would stop Charizard from having a 4x weakness to SR, that is an incorrect argument since it won't because of the mechanics of MegaEvolution.

I don't think that Charizard having two MegaEvos, while Venusaur and Blastoise each having only one is unfair to the Pokemon themselves (as so many say it is), but unfair to the Venusaur/Blastoise fans. Why should Charizard fans get two choices for MegaEvolution, while the Venusaur/Blastoise fans don't? (That's a rhetorical question)

Doesn't matter much. Assuming that one leads with Charizard X. He's still going to have a weakness to Rock and gains a weakness to Ground.

???

C Spriter
I don't think charizard having two forms is something to get all that upset about. I doubt that the inclusion of an extra form for charizard meant that another pokemon didn't get one, and giving it two forms adds a little to the mind games aspect of the meta. Design wise, Charizard did have a bit more in terms of directions it could head in than Venisaur or Blastoise did. (and maybe I'm wrong, and GF R&D did come up with designs for them that did have distinct differences but decided against it.)

Shraeder

It's Lit
What would Mega Charizard X's Attack stat be(including Tough Claws)?

bentleyaaronj

Hey all! Sorry for the stupid question but.. How does Mega Evolution actually work? I know you need to use the stone, but I recall Nintendo mentioning some extra criteria? Which are these?

Also, can your pokemon attack the same turn it Mega Evolves, or does the evolution use up a turn?

Thanks in advance!

Your pokemon has to be holding a Mega Stone unique to that pokemon (like Mewtwonite), then once per game you may activate one of your pokemons Mega evolution. You can attack the same turn you activate the Mega Stone.

Zamin

I am so gutted that Charizard X is only on X and Y players are stuck with Charizard Y, I am gonna have to get both games haha. I also want Mewtwo X :D

bentleyaaronj

Charizard Y will get more competitive use. Alot of players will use Charizard X in-game just because it's cool, which it really is. As long as Charizard Y is better than X, which looks to be the case, i'm happy.

Scammel

Anything with Fire anywhere in the typing has to be pretty spectacular to hit the heights of usage, especially when it takes up the team Mega slot and lacks access to items. I don't expect either Charizard to be seen much anytime soon.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
Anything with Fire anywhere in the typing has to be pretty spectacular to hit the heights of usage, especially when it takes up the team Mega slot and lacks access to items. I don't expect either Charizard to be seen much anytime soon.

I think there are a whole host of Pokemon types that have significantly more problems with usage than Fire.

PeteDHeat

Charizard Y will get more competitive use. Alot of players will use Charizard X in-game just because it's cool, which it really is. As long as Charizard Y is better than X, which looks to be the case, i'm happy.

X > Y for competitive game play

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
Yeah, like Bug, Flying and Ice.

You know, anything weak to Stealth Rock.

That move angers me so much. Ice and bug are in trouble especially! as they have lost out significantly in this new type chart. Life is about to get even worse for them this generation, I imagine,

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
X > Y for competitive game play
Even though they are both MegaEvolutions of Charizard, I think they are too different to say that one is objectively better than the other. Y is a special sun sweeper and setter (sets up sun), while X is a physical attacker. Their useful movepools will be different (physical attacks for X, special attacks for Y), their stats are different, their abilities are different, even their types are different. The only thing they share is their heritage and similar designs as a result of that, but that means nothing for competitive play. It's like comparing apples and oranges, really. Besides, we have yet to see how the Gen VI metagame will be like.

Photonkrios95

According to the Josh leaks you cna get the mega stone for your staters weakness in Lumoise City from and NPC who is in a store that sells Evo-stones. It costs 500k.

Sorry if this is the place to put this.

KozunaiKururugi

I don't know if this has already been answered, but if I play through Y, can I trade a Charizardinite X from X to Y? or can the version exclusive stones not be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.