• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Burqa

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Could you imagine if those crooks had been wearing burqas? They might have fooled even more tellers and gotten away with 800,000 instead of just 700,000!

[edit]
So I took my daughter and newborn son to the mall today while my wife was at a doctor's appointment. My daughter sincerely wanted to play at the playground with all the other kids, so that's where we headed first. As luck would have it though, not but a few minutes in a woman in a burqa came in. I think she was holding a baby, but it could have been a bomb (you can never tell when you can't recognize a woman's face), so I snatched up my daughter and ran for the exits. I alerted mall security to the possible terrorist threat and I'm sure they took care of it. My daughter cried and cried, and I tried my best to explain to her that I had just saved her life, because women in burqas are a security threat, but she didn't seem to understand. I suppose some day, when she's older, she'll understand that the vaguest possibility of an imagined unrealistic threat really is more important than tolerance and liberty.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

The Netherlands is from today the third european country where the burqa is illegal.
Just thought I should share that information. I would like to post a link, but I am afraid most people here can't read Dutch.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Could you imagine if those crooks had been wearing burqas? They might have fooled even more tellers and gotten away with 800,000 instead of just 700,000!

[edit]
So I took my daughter and newborn son to the mall today while my wife was at a doctor's appointment. My daughter sincerely wanted to play at the playground with all the other kids, so that's where we headed first. As luck would have it though, not but a few minutes in a woman in a burqa came in. I think she was holding a baby, but it could have been a bomb (you can never tell when you can't recognize a woman's face), so I snatched up my daughter and ran for the exits. I alerted mall security to the possible terrorist threat and I'm sure they took care of it. My daughter cried and cried, and I tried my best to explain to her that I had just saved her life, because women in burqas are a security threat, but she didn't seem to understand. I suppose some day, when she's older, she'll understand that the vaguest possibility of an imagined unrealistic threat really is more important than tolerance and liberty.
A nice yarn you've spun there Mattj. The sad part is, that somewhere, someone IS doing that very thing probably right now. And somewhere else... that parent may have just stopped a very deadly event from occurring. Sad how our world works.

7 tyranitars

Psychic

Really and truly
The only time I can see a burqa needing to be lifted is for identification. In these such cases, it seems absolutely reasonable to me that a female official step into a private room with the burqa-wearer and be able to properly identify the woman. It doesn't have to take more than a minute, and it respects the woman's privacy while also ensuring that she is who she says she is.

If a woman wants to wear a burqa or any other piece of clothing, that is her own personal choice. Should this result in disapproval from the society, a lack of perfect communication, etc. if that's her decision, who cares? We might consider it oppressive that her religion forces her to wear it, but are we any better for forcing her to do something against her beliefs if she isn't harming anyone?

~Psychic

Ipwnyou

If someone wanted to wear a top-hat in the shape of a penis, I would support their right to do so.
That's a part of free speech. No government has any business telling people what they can and can't wear. It's not hurting anyone else, so it's not their problem.
Yes, I get the thing about how it takes away their identities, and I agree with that. I think it's ridiculous, but hey, that's why I don't wear one. I also think facial piercings are gross, and once again, that's why I don't have any.
It just isn't my place to tell people how to live their lives.

The only valid reasons for being against it, are the ones that involve other people. Like identification and the whole "I can wear it into a bank". Those arguments are questionable, but still valid.

Once you start arguing for/against the religion, then you've lost your validity.

7 tyranitars

If someone wanted to wear a top-hat in the shape of a penis, I would support their right to do so.
That's a part of free speech. No government has any business telling people what they can and can't wear. It's not hurting anyone else, so it's not their problem.
Yes, I get the thing about how it takes away their identities, and I agree with that. I think it's ridiculous, but hey, that's why I don't wear one. I also think facial piercings are gross, and once again, that's why I don't have any.
It just isn't my place to tell people how to live their lives.

The only valid reasons for being against it, are the ones that involve other people. Like identification and the whole "I can wear it into a bank". Those arguments are questionable, but still valid.

Once you start arguing for/against the religion, then you've lost your validity.

How about the husbands/brother/fathers forcing these poor girls to wear them? I don't see their freedom of speech in that.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
How about the husbands/brother/fathers forcing these poor girls to wear them? I don't see their freedom of speech in that.

My parents forced me to eat greens against my will. Should we ban vegetables?

It should not be illegal to wear a burka just because some women are forced to wear them. If that is a problem, then forcing someone to do something against their will is what ought to be illegal.

Liberty Defender

I would vote against the a burqa ban if one was on the ballot or I was a in Congress or the state legislature. Here's why:
The 1st Amendment said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Cruxis

Banned
Sorry to bump a semi old topic but theres no point in making a new one.

As someone who lives in a muslim country ans forced to see the disgustimg burqa every day, i 100% support a ban. We are not in the middle fukken ages. The extent in egypt is ridiculous, i feel like im constantly surrounded by ninjas. The smell and atmosphere and outlook is absolutely disgusting, i hate it.

By the way, those who are against the ban for pro-religious reasons should do their research. Nowhere in the quran are muslim women told to wear the burqa. They are told to be modest and not attract attwntion, but nowhere doea it say to conceal herself.
The burqa was created by a male dominant middle eastern society in an effort to suppress women. Do you think islam is a religion that respects women? Women are not allowed to drive in saudi arabia, the only country with sharia (islamic) law. Women are not allowed to purchase something without a man, are not allowed to make decisions without man, and can be beaten with no consequence.

Fukk the burqa. It would be a beautiful world if it was banned everywhere.
Srs.

Ipwnyou

As someone who lives in a muslim country ans forced to see the disgustimg burqa every day, i 100% support a ban. We are not in the middle fukken ages. The extent in egypt is ridiculous, i feel like im constantly surrounded by ninjas. The smell and atmosphere and outlook is absolutely disgusting, i hate it.

How noble of you to support banning things that you don't like.
Do you have plans on releasing a comprehensive list of clothing that you do and don't approve of?

What's your opinion on silly bands? Crocs? What about high heals.
The first two just look stupid, but the third one is actually dangerous, but I look forward to hearing the specifics of your plan, since you clearly have a good idea of what everyone should and shouldn't wear.

By the way, those who are against the ban for pro-religious reasons should do their research. Nowhere in the quran are muslim women told to wear the burqa. They are told to be modest and not attract attwntion, but nowhere doea it say to conceal herself.

Here's the thing about the religion arguments.
They could not possibly be any less relevant to me, or to most of the people arguing in favor of it.
The idea here is that nobody, especially not the government, has any business telling people what they can and can't wear. I've repeated this several times in this thread, but this is important.

I don't care what their reasons for wearing it are. I don't care if they do it for their religion, or because they think it looks cool.
If they want to wear it, then they have a right to do so. Unless they're somehow harming someone else by wearing it, then it's just not any of your business.

If you don't like it, that's fine. I don't like burqas either, that's why I don't wear one.

The burqa was created by a male dominant middle eastern society in an effort to suppress women. Do you think islam is a religion that respects women? Women are not allowed to drive in saudi arabia, the only country with sharia (islamic) law. Women are not allowed to purchase something without a man, are not allowed to make decisions without man, and can be beaten with no consequence.

Glad you agree that trying to control what women do and wear is a bad thing.