• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Type Triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchFox7

Besides Grass-Fire-Water and Rock-Flying-Fighting, are there anymore true type triangles??? (meaning strong against->strong against->strong against, and in reverse weak against<-weak against<-weak against, and no Psychic-Fighting-Dark does not count, because Dark types, are immune to Psychic type moves, making it an unfair triangle, so, that noe really doesnt count)

Kacho

You are next.
i forget about which way ice and rock goes...
but...

what about fire-steel-rock?

ground-electric-water?

fire-grass-rock?

fire-grass-ground?

bug-grass-rock?

grass-poison-ground?

bug-psychic-poison?

and you said rock-flying-fighting, right? :)

this is something good.
in fact, type geometry could go further.... hopefully.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
The Cave of Dragonflies said:
The only possible starter triangles (i.e. three types that are weak to one another in a rock-paper-scissors fashion and the same with resistances in reverse) other than the traditional Fire/Water/Grass are Rock/Fighting/Flying, Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground. (Before you send me an error report about it, NO, DARK/PSYCHIC/FIGHTING IS NOT A TYPE TRIANGLE. See the FAQ entry on the subject for details.) We are not likely to get such starter triangles, however; Fire, Water and Grass are both traditional and make sense as representatives of three elements while the other triangles are pretty much out-of-the-blue incidental relations that happen to come out of the type chart.

# As a matter of fact, were they ever to introduce four starters in a "type square" with the current type chart, the only possibilities would be Fire/Bug/Grass/Water, Fire/Grass/Ground/Rock and Rock/Flying/Grass/Ground. And for type pentagons, they'd have the possibilities of Fire/Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock and Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock/Flying. Incidentally I found this out by creating a script that figures it out for me, so yes, I'm quite sure those are the only possibilities unless I overlooked some weaknesses/resistances when initially putting them into the script.

Here you go.

electivire165

ground, electric, water is NOT a type triangle!!!!! ELECTRIC DOES NOT EFFECT GROUND!!!!

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
A true type triangle (to fit with the Fire-Water-Grass one) has no types immune to each other, and no types neutral to each other. Only resistances and super-effectiveness can account in a type triangle.

Aielyn

The easiest way to find type triangles of the type being described is to identify which types have those resist/strong relationships, so for instance, Grass beats and resists Water.

Here's a list of them (First in pair is the strong one, so "Gra/Wat" would mean Grass beats and resists water):

Fir/Gra
Fir/Ice
Fir/Bug
Fir/Ste
Wat/Fir
Ele/Fly
Gra/Wat
Gra/Gro
Fig/Roc
Fig/Dar
Poi/Gra
Gro/Poi
Gro/Roc
Fly/Gra
Fly/Fig
Fly/Bug
Psy/Fig
Bug/Gra
Roc/Fir
Roc/Fly
Dar/Gho
Ste/Ice
Ste/Roc

From these 23 pairs, a "type triangle" comes whenever a chain of three forms a circle. So, we can have the following:

Fir/Gra/Wat
Fir/Ste/Roc
Gra/Gro/Poi
Fig/Roc/Fly

And that's it. If you expand to allow immunity to replace resistance, you can then add Ele/Gro and Dar/Psy, which then allows you to form Fig/Dar/Psy. Meanwhile, if you only require that A beats B, which beats C, which beats A, then the list gets significantly longer, and I'm not going to bother listing them.

Another interesting thing to observe is that, unlike Fir/Wat/Gra, the other sets don't have inherent resistance to their own types for all in the triple - Roc doesn't resist itself, nor does Gro, Fig or Fly. So Fir/Wat/Gra is actually unique in that way.

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
Poison/Grass/Ground. I've always had a certain affinity with the idea of a Poison starter.

EDIT: You got that above, too.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Dragonfree said:
The only possible starter triangles (i.e. three types that are weak to one another in a rock-paper-scissors fashion and the same with resistances in reverse) other than the traditional Fire/Water/Grass are Rock/Fighting/Flying, Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground. (Before you send me an error report about it, NO, DARK/PSYCHIC/FIGHTING IS NOT A TYPE TRIANGLE. See the FAQ entry on the subject for details.) We are not likely to get such starter triangles, however; Fire, Water and Grass are both traditional and make sense as representatives of three elements while the other triangles are pretty much out-of-the-blue incidental relations that happen to come out of the type chart.

# As a matter of fact, were they ever to introduce four starters in a "type square" with the current type chart, the only possibilities would be Fire/Bug/Grass/Water, Fire/Grass/Ground/Rock and Rock/Flying/Grass/Ground. And for type pentagons, they'd have the possibilities of Fire/Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock and Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock/Flying. Incidentally I found this out by creating a script that figures it out for me, so yes, I'm quite sure those are the only possibilities unless I overlooked some weaknesses/resistances when initially putting them into the script.

10charmanders

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Actually, I think she's known as Butterfree there. :)

Also, a question I wanted to ask is, is it possible to have a Type 16-agon (ignoring the immunities/neutralities rule)?

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Also, a question I wanted to ask is, is it possible to have a Type 16-agon (ignoring the immunities/neutralities rule)?

No. Since Dragon is only super effective against itself, it stops any chance of putting it into a chain. The best I can manage is 14 types.

Ghost > Psychic > Poison > Grass > Water > Rock > Fire > Steel > Ice > Ground > Electric > Flying > Fighting > Dark > Ghost

I'm missing Bug (as well as the obvious Normal and Dragon).

Ice → Ground → Steel

Electric → Water → Ground

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Grass/Flying/Rock
Fire/Ground/Ice
Fire/Rock/Steel
Grass/Bug/Rock
Grass/Poison/Ground
Fighting/Flying/Rock
Fighting/Flying/Ice

No. Since Dragon is only super effective against itself, it stops any chance of putting it into a chain. The best I can manage is 14 types.

Ghost > Psychic > Poison > Grass > Water > Rock > Fire > Steel > Ice > Ground > Electric > Flying > Fighting > Dark > Ghost

I'm missing Bug (as well as the obvious Normal and Dragon).

Actually, Electric is out too, since its only weakness is Ground, which is immune to electric. So your 14-agon doesn't quite work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.