• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Version Preferences

AuroraBeam

Since pokemon's inception there have been versions of each gen. I've noticed that there usually is one that's considered the "Red" version of that gen (Red, Gold, Ruby, etc.) & the other is the "Blue/Green" version (Blue, Silver, Sapphire, etc.) since they often have similar version exclusive pokemon among them.

Do you have a tendency towards one side or the other? Which one, if any? What is/are the main deciding factors for you when picking one version over it's opposite?

I've been relatively equal between the two sides. I've chosen Blue, Silver, Sapphire; but then switched & preferred Diamond, Black1/2, and X. I've switched again since I've chosen the Moons for gen 7. But sometimes I think playing the "blue" versions for gens 4, 5, and 6 would be better for me instead.

Blitz Lucario

I usually pick the version that has the most appealing legendary on the cover. In most cases it ended up being Silver (Silver/Soul Silver), Kyogre (Sapphire), Rayquaza (Emerald), Dialga (Diamond), Zekrom (White), Yveltal (Y), and Solgaleo (Sun/Ultra Sun).

The only other factor would be which Pokemon are exclusive to each version.

I always picked the "Red" version of the pairs, but never consciously. I always just went with whatever one I liked the cover of, the name, or exclusive Pokemon. I only realized looking back that every game I chose was the "Red" version.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I usually pick the 'Red' versions somehow because the cover Pokémon appeal to me more especially with Groudon and Charizard. But sometimes on other occasions I prefer the 'Blue' version, in which I prefer Lugia over Ho-Oh and the one case where I prefer both is with X and Y where I like Xerneas and Yveltal equally.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I can't think of a generation where I didn't pick the 'Blue' version.

I think the only exception was Gen 4, when I had Diamond first. However, I later got Pearl, and played it far more often that I played Diamond.

Ditto B1tch

Yes, I noticed there is a blue and a red side and I don't care about being always in the same side. My choices had been

Red - red
Gold - red
Sapphire - blue
Diamond - blue
White - red

gentwoer

Hmmm

Red
Gold
Sapphire
Platinum (I hate diamond and pearl equally)
Black (does that count as the red?)
X (does that count as the red?)
Sun

I guess the red?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I tend to focus on which versions have the best-looking mascot as far as my personal tastes are concerned. Since I like the designs of Kamex, Lugia, Kyogre, and similar Pokemon, I guess I'm a fan of the blue-colored versions.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Nowadays, I just get both versions. Originally, I got the one with the box art Pokemon I liked more

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I always get the blue versions, because my brother and I always got opposite versions so we could trade with each other, and he always preferred the red version mascots. My brother doesn't play video games anymore, but I still continue to pick the blue versions because of that and always will.

landipan

I'm generally more attracted to the color blue and cool tones so that's what catches my eye first. But it always comes down to exclusive Pokemon, for example when the covers of Moon and Sun were released I immediately wanted to get Moon, but of course when the exclusives list was released I had to go for Sun.

Vipsoccermaster

I do not have a preference, as I usually get both versions. I mostly tend to play the "blue" versions more, since I like that color more than red. The only exception was the first generation where my sister got Pokémon Blue and so I instead got Pokémon Red. But my sister doesn't play video games any more, so that's no longer an issue.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Well I was young when the games first came out, and my older brother would always buy a game out of his money, and I’d get one for a birthday or Xmas. So he had Red, I had Blue, he bought Gold, and then I later had Silver, I fell out of the series, so he bought Sapphire, and he then peaked my interest and I saved money to get Ruby. Then when Fire Red and Leaf Green came out, he asked me to buy him Fire Red and I would get Leaf Green at the same time whilst he was in Work. So I used that opportunity to get Fire Red for myself and he could have Leaf Green. He was annoyed so we agreed we would take it in turns choosing the version. So he chose a Diamond, and then I had Pearl, then we realised that I would always be choosing the remakes and he’d be getting to choose the main series game, and each time I would choose the opposite version to the one I had originally, so with Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Id go for Heart Gold because I had Silver originally.

I got to choose Black and White and went with Black, and by this point my brothers interest in the series was not as big so he said I could choose the version, so I’ve had Y and Sun, and then Ultra Moon.

I can’t say I go for a certain version, I normally go off the box legendary.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
White is "red" and Black is "blue" because Reshiram has fire and Zekrom has blue sparks
It's a bit more tricky as Rashiram was on Black's cover and Zekrom on White's. So is Black Red and White Blue? I think versions are always called on the Red+Blue basis, e.g. Red & Blue, Gold & Silver, Ruby & Sapphire, Diamond & Pearl, Black & White, X & Y and Sun & Moon. So Diamond, Black and X are Red versions??? Also the funny part is first Blue version was called Green:-D

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Do you have a tendency towards one side or the other?
Outside of Silver, Sapphire and Moon, I generally prefer the Blue one better. I like the calmer color, and generally blue version is the one with more defensive Pokés.

What is/are the main deciding factors for you when picking one version over it's opposite?
Sometimes the amount of the version exclusives are unequal(such as in the case of White with White Forest), in which case I prefer the objectively better version. If that isn't the case, I pick the one with the bulk of my favourite Pokémon

Leonhart

Imagineer
I do not have a preference, as I usually get both versions.

I used to purchase both versions too, although I stopped when Black 2 and White 2 were released since my interest in the franchise declined. But even when I bought both versions of each pair of games, I still used the "Blue" versions as my main games.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Hmm,

Leaf Green
Blue
Soul Silver
Sapphire
White/White 2
Y
Alpha Sapphire
Moon

But yeah no preference just which cover art/exclusives I like better.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I felt like an outcast for picking Ruby first over Sapphire. I did get Sapphire eventually, a few months later. I honestly thought Groudon looked cooler than Kyogre.