• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Version Preferences

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Well based on my preferences:

Blue - Blue happens to be one of my favorite colors. And Squirtle is my Kanto starter (hence the cool Blastoise cover art).

Silver - I prefer Lugia over Ho-Oh.

Ruby - I prefer Groudon over Kyogre. Which is ironic since Sapphire is a blue related color but it all comes down to the exclusive legendary mascot. Although I got Sapphire a year later after my Ruby game and GBA SP got stolen. Alongside a special GBA SP featuring Kyogre in front of it.

FireRed - WaterBlue doesn't exist so I had to choose FR. And Green is my least favorite color (and Venusaur is meh).

Diamond - I prefer Dialga over Palkia. And choosing something that's blue related and not Pink related (I was young back then spare me).

SoulSilver - Same as Silver.

White - I prefer Zekrom over Reshiram. Although Black is one of my favorite colors, the White Version had a Black legendary mascot. I had to choose that over the Black Version.

Black 2 Version - They reversed it so Zekrom belongs in that over the other one.

Y - I prefer Yveltal over Xerneas.

OmegaRuby - Same as Ruby

Sun - I actually like both mascots. But I chose Sun over Moon because of the Time setting mechanic. I wanna have my game based on where I live.

Ultra Sun- Same as Sun

I did get the third version (Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum) because they're basically the superior version of G/S, R/S, and D/P. Not Yellow cause reasons.

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
LeafGreen, because Staryu>Shellder, Marill>Wooper, Bellsprout>Oddish, Sneasel>Delibird, Sandshrew>Ekans, Slowpoke>Psyduck, Misdreavus>Murkrow. I like Skarmory better than Mantine, though. Also, Growlithe>Vulpix.
Although I like Kyogre slightly better than Groudon, I prefer Ruby because I like Zangoose, Shiftry and Latios(without the need of an event) better than their Sapphire counterpart.
I like HeartGold and SoulSilver equally. Lugia>Ho-oh(the summoning cutscene is just epic), Latios>Latias, Skarmory>Mantine, but Kyogre>Groudon, Growlithe>Vulpix, Gliscor>Delibird.
White and White 2, because I don't like Black&Black 2 Opelucid City at all, and Reshiram looks more elegant than Zekrom.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
I have no preferences, however I've always chosen to play through the one I like the look of more first. That being said I'm more partial to the third "Yellow" games in the series because they tend to iron out the problems the originals had and give us more content.

Orphalesion

For the firs three version when I was a kid I always chose the "blue" version (Blue, Silver, Sapphire) because I like the blue/green/cold colour spectrum. (though I also wanted blue because of Ninetales)

Since returning to Pokemon with gen 5 I chose the version that had the most version exclusives i wanted: With black and white it was 50:50 so I just picked black. With X/Y it was Y because of Aromtisse and Dragalge and with Sun/Moon it was Sun because of Alolan Ninetales.

So for me it was Blue - Silver -Sapphire - nothing - Black - Y -Sun.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The games could either be thought of as Red vs. Blue versions or Former vs. Latter versions.

Red Blue
Gold Silver
Ruby Sapphire
Diamond Pearl (Blue Red)
Black White
X Y (Blue Red)
Sun Moon

Pokemon ORAS did red vs blue for their available legendaries while Pokemon USUM did sooner vs latter. Diamond and Pearl's legendaries are swapped.
Since ORAS didn't have Gen 6 legendaries, you can't get something like Yveltal in Omega Ruby.

As for me:

Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Pearl, Black, X, (Ultra) Moon

So mostly the latter and the blue versions.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When I only got one versions? Sapphire(my sister had it also), Leafgreen, Diamond. When I eventually got another version? Pokemon White and its sequel, Pokemon X(because of Mega Charizard X), Sun

DR.gonzo

Pokemon Blue
Pokémon Silver
Pokémon Sapphire
Pokémon Leaf Green
Pokémon Diamond
Pokémon Soul Silver
Pokémon Black
Pokémon White 2
Pokémon X
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Pokémon Moon
Pokémon Ultra Moon .

M.P.

Retired
I really don't have tendency towards either 'Red' or 'Blue' versions. Version exclusives (mainly legendaries, since others are quite easy to get through GTS) are the main factor when deciding which version to get.

So far I've picked (Gen IV onwards): Both - HeartGold - White - Black 2 - Y - Omega Ruby - Moon - Ultra Sun.

Rhody

The Adorable Gliscor
FireRed, Diamond, HeartGold, Black, Black 2, X, Alpha Sapphire, Sun, and Ultra Sun are what I prefer. Besides, X, Alpha Sapphire, and (Ultra) Sun all have Armaldo, Rampardos, Carracosta, and Clauncher. I also prefer Passimian and Turtonator over Oranguru and Drampa.

Argentarus

Leafgreen - Blue
Sapphire - Blue
Platinum (Still prefer using Palkia tho) - "Yellow"
SoulSilver - Blue
White - Blue
Black 2 - Red
X - Red
Omega Ruby - Red
Sun - Red
Ultra Moon - Blue
So, it seems that I'm a sucker for the "blue" games. Red seems to be right behind if the game is themed blue, excluding OR and Sun.

Kanto - I can't stand the exclusives for Red; I love Arcanine, but Vulpix is more of my type, same with Sandshrew than an Ekans.

Johto - I just prefer Lugia over Ho-oh and stuff.

Hoenn - My opinion swings between the two. Usuall, I find that I like Kyogre better than Groudon, but Team Magma are my favourite team of the two.

Sinnoh - Never got the first two (But I would probably go with Diamond if I did)

Unova - Which ever one had Zekrom

Kalos - Deer.

Alola - Both legendaries are awesome as heck; I wanted to see what the experience was like compared with each other.

Last edited:

oshawott7

cat burgler
My favorite versions from the games are
Red, Gold, Sapphire, LeafGreen, Diamond, HeartGold, White, White 2, X, AlphaSapphire, Sun, Ultra Sun

I pick based on the cover, whenever I picked based on anything else I didn't enjoy the game as much for whatever reason. I did this with SoulSilver and Y and I regretted it very much.

abby_ella

It's usually whichever one I have first. Since I get a head start there, if I buy the other version it's for farming starters and the Pokemon that aren't in the first one I got.

CapybaraMage

Novice Shiny Hunter
I recently noticed I’ve always leaned toward the blue versions, with the exception of Red, Black, and HeartGold (although for the originals I had Silver). This was purely unintentional because I would usually just pick whatever cover legend I preferred. I sometimes end up getting a copy of the other version as well, but I don’t play them nearly as much as my first or main one.

Manchee

extra toasty
I always picked the "Red" version of the pairs, but never consciously. I always just went with whatever one I liked the cover of, the name, or exclusive Pokemon. I only realized looking back that every game I chose was the "Red" version.

This is exactly me! I never even realized it either until very recently when looking at my games. My list of the first games I got each generation is:

Gen II - Crystal
Gen III - Ruby
Gen IV - Diamon
Gen V - Black (JP)
Gen VI - X
Gen VII - Sun

I almost always go with the "Red" version, with the only exception being Gen II and technically Gen V. I imported Black so I could try it out and mess around with it and have a better feel before I got White as my main version in English.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Gen 1: FireRed
Gen 2: HG
Gen 3:Alpha Sapphire
Gen 4: Platinum
Gen 5: Black 2.

Kage-Pikachu

Heh, I always get both paired versions with the exception of Diamond and Pearl since I didn't get a DS Lite until Platinum was already out.
But for the games I played first, it's usually the "Blue" version.
Blue (I liked Blastoise better at the time)
Silver (Lugia was my favorite since I saw it in Pokemon the movie 2000)
Sapphire (because Kyogre looked awesome and I lived in Albuquerque, NM...a desert so Ruby was the second one I played)
White (because Zekrom looked awesome BUT since most of my friends were playing White I decided to play my Black first any way to trade them the exclusives)
Y (because I loved Yvetal's design but I've grown to love Xerneas more over the years)
Moon (I loved Lunala's design from the moment I saw it and I personally find it's design to be on par with Lugia)

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Usually I either pick the mid version or the second version for each Generation;

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Platinum
White / 2
Y
Alpha Sapphire
Moon / Ultra