• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Pokemon X

Thank you,now please tell me what COULD be a good Glass Cannon?(need one as my competitive sweeper, most of my team is walls)

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
Thank you,now please tell me what COULD be a good Glass Cannon?(need one as my competitive sweeper, most of my team is walls)

If you can get your hands on one, I highly recommend a contrary Serperior. Slap a choice scarf or life orb and let the leaf storm go! Be mindful as the grass type does some not very effective hits, but with your special attack effectively doubled or more after a few turns, well I'll let you do the math. other than that I run kartana and mimikyu as sweepers, but in the end do whatever fits you.

AlolaSherwood

Lost Wayfinder
So I'm trying to come up with a Fluffy team. So far I'm thinking Mega Ampharos (when they release the Mega Stone), Flareon, Whimsicott, Altaria, and Shaymin.

What is another fluffy Pokémon that might fit this team aesthetic (or two if possible, so I can scrap Mega Ampharos for now)? And what would be the best set-up for a Flareon?

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
So I'm trying to come up with a Fluffy team. So far I'm thinking Mega Ampharos (when they release the Mega Stone), Flareon, Whimsicott, Altaria, and Shaymin.

What is another fluffy Pokémon that might fit this team aesthetic (or two if possible, so I can scrap Mega Ampharos for now)? And what would be the best set-up for a Flareon?

How bout Absol or Cinccino?

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
I might go with one of those, most likely Cinccino. Absol seems more ruff and ready than fluffy to me. Do you think Purugly counts as fluffy?

I think so! I considered Purugly for a second when I saw it (was scrolling through Serebii's Pokedex drop-down menus). I just preferred the others I mentioned but it's up to you!

nel3

Crimson Dragon
is there any sort of EV spread i should run on a calm nature suicune? i got a 2IV gen2 Suicune from GTS recently with hidden flying value. it has perfect ATK/DEF and the rest are bad or (0 HP) i want to run scald, ice beam, hidden power flying and maybe calm mind. it may not be the most competetive or wall set but i like the weird sets. im having some trouble deciding EV allocation either HP/SPA or SPA/speed, im also considering tailwind on Suicune. im looking for a bulky SPA attacker or fast atacker. im not the biggest fan of crocune, that play style is a bit too slow for me. i will need to use bottle caps to correct the bad IVs from gen2 but its worth the time to lvl it up.

Edit: i decided to go more for a bulky tailwind set.

Last edited:

mathwiz617

New to the forums here and competitive battling in general, I do have two questions.

1: In a double battle, can you use a single-target status move, like baby-doll eyes, on your other pokemon?

2: If yes, how competitively viable would this be if the other pokemon had Competitive as its ability?

If "yes" and "decently" or better, I think I have a new strategy with which to crush my one opponent (my hyper-competitive brother).

EKZ1505

New to the forums here and competitive battling in general, I do have two questions.

1: In a double battle, can you use a single-target status move, like baby-doll eyes, on your other pokemon?

2: If yes, how competitively viable would this be if the other pokemon had Competitive as its ability?

If "yes" and "decently" or better, I think I have a new strategy with which to crush my one opponent (my hyper-competitive brother).

Competitive or Defiant will not activate if a stat is lowered by a move from your own Pokemon, so unfortunately it won't work

EKZ1505

If you use Psych Up on a Pokemon that has raised its stats via its own Psych Up, will it copy the changes? and will it work if both Psych Up users are your own Pokemon?

Yes to everything

Papyrus

I'm inexperienced with competitive team building so I need some advice. I'm trying to come up with a good doubles team involving Torterra, but I can't come up with anything good. What would be some good guys for a team like that?

Lazykingkong

I want to breed a cofagrigus with ally switch. However I'm having a hard time finding the rest of the breeding chain. I know I'll have to breed the ralts line with cofagrigus to get it, but to get it there I'd have to breed kadabra to mienfoo in order so it can have access to the field egg group. That's where I can't find the rest of the chain. I checked over with the other pokemon who learned it through breeding with their egg groups, and they seem to be dead ends. Thank you in advance for your help.

P.s. sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

As for Tortterra a Trick room team would seem useful for it, try alakazam or even better oranguru or comfey. Theres also beheeyem as well (i hope this helps somewhat)

PokeChamp777

SM Mega Blastoise

Good evening all,

I'm looking for a good Mega Blastoise build. Going down the list of available mega stones and breeding for perfect IV/EV spreads but don't see any suggestions for a gen 7 Blastoise on smogon. Any suggestions? Moves, EV spread, nature etcetera. Also do not have the HA version unfortunately.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
I want to breed a cofagrigus with ally switch. However I'm having a hard time finding the rest of the breeding chain. I know I'll have to breed the ralts line with cofagrigus to get it, but to get it there I'd have to breed kadabra to mienfoo in order so it can have access to the field egg group. That's where I can't find the rest of the chain. I checked over with the other pokemon who learned it through breeding with their egg groups, and they seem to be dead ends. Thank you in advance for your help.

Ally Switch is a Gen 5 TM. You can easily get an Ally Switch Cofag with that, I believe.

Good evening all,

I'm looking for a good Mega Blastoise build. Going down the list of available mega stones and breeding for perfect IV/EV spreads but don't see any suggestions for a gen 7 Blastoise on smogon. Any suggestions? Moves, EV spread, nature etcetera. Also do not have the HA version unfortunately.

The sets are pretty interchangeable as most of the spreads for M-Blast are just for speed creep, power, and general bulk. Timid max max gives it a speed edge over Heatran if you want that but a slower spread of 124 Spe with a neutral nature can be used to outpace 16 spe Lando-T so it doesn't just whittle you with U-Turns. Also good to outpace Rotom-W before it Volts out to hit it with an Aura/Dark. Though the 74 Spe is prolly the safest.

tl;dr; the 74 Spe / Max Spa / Rest in bulk spread is still safe. If you wanna speed creep on something though, play around with the speed then, it's very flexible due to Blasts neat speed tier! Hope I helped.

Last edited:

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Speaking of Megas, I want to run a Bulky set on Mega Zard X because of its great defensive typing. I transferred in a Charmeleon from Yellow that has max to near-max IVs in everything except speed. I'm basing my Pokemon on the 6th gen PotW Firewall set but it gives a slight boost to Speed EVs (about 32). I'm not sure if I want to use the rest of my EVs on Special Defense instead just in case. Is there a particular reason for me to give it the small speed boost (like getting a burn in faster with Will-O-Wisp) or is it negotiable if it's not that fast anyway?

McDanger

Speaking of Megas, I want to run a Bulky set on Mega Zard X because of its great defensive typing. I transferred in a Charmeleon from Yellow that has max to near-max IVs in everything except speed. I'm basing my Pokemon on the 6th gen PotW Firewall set but it gives a slight boost to Speed EVs (about 32). I'm not sure if I want to use the rest of my EVs on Special Defense instead just in case. Is there a particular reason for me to give it the small speed boost (like getting a burn in faster with Will-O-Wisp) or is it negotiable if it's not that fast anyway?

If you're running dragon dance than you need the evs in speed to outpace at plus one but if your going for a straight utility/tank not a bulky sweeper you can play with it

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Is it possible to soft reset for nature/IVs when receiving pokemon from Dream Radar (in 5th gen)?

I'd like to be able to get the HA legendaries from it with good natures.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Is it possible to soft reset for nature/IVs when receiving pokemon from Dream Radar (in 5th gen)?

I'd like to be able to get the HA legendaries from it with good natures.
I don't think you can soft reset for those, though I do believe RNG manipulation is possible.